Music Explorer (from OpenRepos)

Sorry, when I think of classical music I tend to think of Iron Maiden rather than Bach or Beethoven :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

But is this the same Xenakis guy you’re speaking of?

That’s him. So why can’t I find him? And, he’s much more radically metal than Iron Maiden could ever imagine.

Ah, type full name. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

And where is Gutbucket?!

You mean audio files? They’re under ~/Music/music_explorer/
but you can delete them from within the app in the Media tab.
Track > Media > (select the media displaying a note) - long press - Delete audio

PITA. That works but requires restarting the app. How about long click on the album on the main page ‘delete’?

Now, if this was in github, I would just make tickets instead of polluting this thread with my biatching. :wink:

So, how did you find Xenakis, because it wasn’t with Music explorer. Yes it Does find Iannis Xenakis. So, was it Fritz Stockhausen, err, Friedrich? Jelly Biafro? Jello Biafra? See where I’m going.

I hope to be able to implement a better search experience (by combining multiple APIs) eventually.

Which one, there seem to be several :slight_smile:

But, all in all the accents on what you see first (when you find Karlheinz) is good. The full biography, discs (the disc icons could be a tick bigger) and then diving to tracks an media.

I am now going to go organize records. Vinyl. The only true religion I have (well, and Scotch and Cuban cigars).

On youtube, search for gutbucket: Gutbucket: Fuck You and Your Hipster Tie - YouTube

First hit. And I block and clear everything. Youtube thinks I’m a 9 year old fan of ninjago.

There are few things that would actually requite a restart, sometimes opening closing some pages may be enough :slight_smile:

Wikipedia. :slight_smile: Knowing how strict the search is sometimes i looked up his full name and it worked instantly.

1 Like

Could you try it again to search for it in Music Explorer?

Ok. So, the app is talking to a service you host. Sneaky. Now I have to read the code. And I haven’t gotten to the Multimodal patches yet. Damn it.

If you manage to find Yann Keller, or me for that matter, then I’ll be impressed.

It’s using theaudiodb.com as the data backend and mostly youtube for videos and audio data.
Means you should be able to easily add Yann Keller and anyone else you like to the database.
I just wanted to know how easy/difficult this actually is, that’s why I added Gutbucket myself :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks! Now I have even MORE work. I spent many years doing off Broadway music stuff (did video mixes of bands like Gutbucket, Wolfeyes, Bob Ostertag, blah, blah). I have made a lot of music that you really do not want to hear. I may be in a band again. Maybe. We get along. We are the Itchy Spots.

1 Like

Same boat - this project already consumed much more of my time than I ever anticipated :smiley:

The problem is that if the app doesn’t block the user from entering something into the search bar while the items are loading any change will inevitably start a local search which in turn gets overwritten as soon as the other content finishes loading.
Blocking the search bar seemed like a quick and dirty way to ensure these two events don’t coincide. Another possible way would have been to leave the search bar enabled but not to execute the actual search but this would then leave the question what to do once the items finished loading.

How about, cache the state of the last search (before an item was selected/clicked), display that when the search bar no longer matches the state it was in when the overview screen was produced? It looked like the condition for submitting a search is enter?

There are multiple ways to solve this but all involve keeping states etc. so, as I said, blocking was the quickest (certainly not the best) way to achieve this.
Enter is used to submit a query to the remote API but changing the search string alone is enough to start a local (cache) search.

Ok, got ya. I could just look at the code, but I’m swamped.

Somehow this never has been an issue to me (maybe my internet connection tends to be quicker or whatever reason) so this seemed like something that is “good enough” and I didn’t even give it a second thought. It can certainly be improved, I’s just that before you happened to mention it, this never occurred to me to be a problem.

It’s early days, but it was really annoying. I ‘was’ outside on the terrace when testing, so maybe suck WLAN. Keep up the good work! I’ll tag a long.