Matrix and Sailfish

Hobby admin here!

Just to complete the discuss about XMPP vs. Matrix. A lot of People with small homeservers are switching from XMPP to Matrix because it is easy to maintain and helps to build a privacy decentralized messenger out of the box for family and friends. No fiddling with XEPs and stuff. And without a lot of free time a selfmade xmpp server is a hell of a mess.

And the lack of missing matrix apps are annoying. Take a look over to ubports, they have a solid running matrix app called fluffy chat. design is special an not everybodys choise, but it is useable and stable.

P.S. Dont forget the bridging feature. Irc, telegram, slack or Xmpp are already implemented in matrix. That said, a native matrix app makes more sense then working on better support for XMPP, because a fully featured matrix app is an all in one first class messenger, and all other could be abandoned.

3 Likes

Change that to ā€˜a Matrix connection manager for Telepathyā€™ and you get a Matrix client (backend) on all GNU/Linux platforms, that can largely work out of the box. And guess what?

(All it needs is more developers working on it.)
5 Likes

IRC?
I tested https://github.com/matrix-org/matrix-ircd some days ago. Of course this is not the perfect solution but does work with SFOS irc.
Yes this is an in between solution, a native matrix client is ways betterā€¦
This is an ircd which is implemented like a proxy to a homeserver. You log in with your matrix credentials to the ircd and you can communicate to the homeserver (with e2e).

And Jolla, please give your messages app some love. And with love, I donā€™t mean moving the chat bubbles from one side to the other, but like implementing more of the Telepathy spec and implementing the appropriate UI, like for group messaging and starting conversations with people that donā€™t have a phone number etc.

7 Likes

This Week in Matrix featured Konheko, a new Matrix client for Sailfish OS from Nico, the developer of Nheko. Source code here.

4 Likes

While waiting for native Matrix clients to mature, I found that the Android version of FluffyChat works quite well, even on my phone which is still limited to the old Alien Dalvik version (I think it corresponds to Android 4.4). E2EE works (although some older messages werenā€™t possible to decrypt) and notifications work (blue indicator light and icons that appear to the left but no vibrations), so finally I have usable Matrix client! A native client is still desirable, but this is much better than nothing.

Edit: The notifications I saw came from Konheko, so Iā€™m not sure that FluffyChat notifications work.

Any news here? The natvie Matrix clients we have on SFOS are still very basic and donā€™t support e2ee.

There arent many devs working on it so donā€™t expect something soon.

Hello,

Does anybody found a good solution for matrix (without android support)?

bluepill wont launch since few month on my mobile

I use konheko but seem use lot of CPU.

I just found this https://github.com/a-andreyev/sailfish-settings-accounts-extensions-matrix but I donā€™t see rpm anywhere.

1 Like

I donā€™t think there is anything ā€œusableā€ at the moment.

BTW has anyone tried running app.element.io on the new browser (i am not in 4.0 yet to test myself). And with gecko 78 coming in the next release it might be a solution until we have a native app.

Just try with Angelfish (flatpack) on 3.4 app.element.io and fluffychat same problem for both, I can acces to input text field

I have to do test with my geminipda and jolla 4

update: test done with jolla4 and jolla browser all website are brokenā€¦ :confused:

I use https://openrepos.net/content/deepbluev7/konheko
It works fine, but e2ee would be nice to have :slight_smile:

To name another, Determinant (https://openrepos.net/content/r1tschy/determinant) is also a working matrix client.

Disclaimer: Iā€™m the author :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I am using Determinant and it is quite nice. Surely check it out.

1 Like

Yes, your project seem good but for me the missing feature of upload and display images or files is a big miss.
And with time lots of my friend use E2E (element force it now, when you create a 1to1 discussion)

But thanks for your work :slight_smile:, I hope you can implement all issue in your github repository

I still use version 0.1-14 of bluepill, notifications work on this one, which for me is very important. You can download it from the ā€œJobsā€ tab on this page: https://gitlab.com/cy8aer/bluepill/-/pipelines/72713979/builds

(download the deployer zip file for ARM and unpack it to get the RPM).

I see that version 0.1-15 was built not long ago, I may give that a try. I admit that I switch to FluffyChat sometimes.

Iā€™m keeping an eye on Determinant, but I need to be able to exchange files as well as messages.

the release 1-15 fix issue with bluepill for me

so back to bluepill

when i see other message apllication like hisperfish other other app for telegram i hope an app very nice for matrix too

1 Like

If I see things correctly youā€™re using https://github.com/poljar/matrix-nio and end to end crypto works?

From the spec it looks like youā€™re not including the nio libs in your rpms but offlloading that? And the olm C library?

Iā€™ll take a crack at including the nio libs in the bluepill build/rpm.

I donā€™t use an identity server. Iā€™m not sure if it disabled by default, or that itā€™s off because I self-host. Anyway, not even my own instance has our e-mail addresses or phone numbers. I also run my own TURN-server. I do use external STUN, due to technical limitations.

Actually I hadnā€™t even intended to use my own server. I just had set it up as trial, to see if Matrix/Element was a viable option for me and my parents, for which I added accounts on my server. Then my mom proactivly started inviting other family to install Element :slight_smile:. They use a matrix.org account, so I guess I ā€œleakā€ some metadata. :man_shrugging:

1 Like