Main camera does not start

I could reproduce it on a xa2 with 4.4.0.64:

• have quite full memory (dont know if necessary)
  • open camera app, camera works
  • close camera app
  • open plantnet (android app) and start the camera from there
  • IS camera error popup, SHOULD camera works
  • wait, close apps (actually closed plantnet only i think)
  • start plantnet, open camera in there
  • camera works
  • close plantnet
  • open camera app
  • IS camera black, SHOULD camera works

everything in normal quick succession except the waiting part

It’s really to try to establish whether this is an identical bug (identical behaviour) or a slightly different bug. For example, does the same message ‘Can’t start Camera, please restart your phone’ appear? Is it related to how many browser tabs are open? Do the same workarounds apply? Anything that gives an indication.

I appreciate it sounds like I’m being picky: I’m not suggesting there’s no bug here, but all this info is helpful in diagnosing the problem, and therefore makes it easier to fix.

Yes, this already helpful, thank you. Do you get the same for WhatsApp using the same steps as the OP?

1 Like

Yes, I get the same results as the OP, as soon as I free memory the camera works again.

I cant try the switch camera workaround however, because when the front camera is black, there is no button for this

1 Like

@flypig the camera error was not tied to open browser tabs, that was just the way I picked, to fill up memory to reproduce it for you guys. What Thigg has posted seems similar to what I saw, and having less than 2GB (1.4Gb, 1.6Gb) of phone memory seemed to ‘help?’ reproduce the issue.

1 Like

@flypig Sorry for the slow reply. I see that the conversation has progressed in a healthy way :slight_smile:

It’s been a while since I’ve seen this exact issue, although it feels significantly more recent than 4.0.1 [, but I could be wrong]. - I run a lot of patches, so I’m typically a month or two behind the latest.

I’m currently on 4.3. I’ll look again to see if 4.4 is now viable for me.

[edit: Also, thank you very much for all the effort that you and team are putting into keeping Sailfish alive.]

1 Like