Limit Gallery search folders

If you exclude Music, where do you suppose Tracker would find your music?

@Seven.of.nine tracker is doing ok job,
it’s the apps that use tracker output doesn’t properly distinguish between paths so in this case Gallery should not be showing images from Music directory as from what I know tracker is not able deliver types based on directories and since this is Gnome product I’m putting dollars against peanuts that it won’t be fixed/changed/improved in this regard.

there’s just has to be a config file, that a user could edit
I don’t really know why J always tends to hide every config from a user, while also stating that it is not a locked-down android phone.

Not cluttering up the gui != actively hiding.

well then there’s one more OS I can think of that’s even more limited.

Whatever, the functionality is broken as it is now and it seems that its broken for over 8 years. So if one doesn’t want to “clutter gui” then it should work as users expect so they won’t file so many complains.
The problem here is that Sailfish OS is not a bad OS but as I mentioned many times it’s still long way from being out of a beta state.

My point exactly.  

Nobody asks to clutter the gui.
Everybody asks that at least they have a config file in /etc so that power users can edit it.
But no, they will hard-code everything and have 0 documentation on internals.

2 Likes

I actually fail to see any connection between an application having a simple settings page with a few most important configurable options and what is the common sense meaning of “cluttering up the gui”.

Note that in SFOS for all such extra per-app settings there is a common and completely separated Settings / Applications tab, so any such “advanced” settings do NOT appear in the application itself nor in general settings, but they are all gathered in a fully separate, special place for them. So that all those who either don’t need any such advanced options or are intellectually incapable of handling them actually don’t need to ever see them unless they go specifically to that separate Settings / Apps section that they really do not have to ever visit if they don’t want to.

Quite a number of built-in applications have their advanced settings there (Phone, Messages, Email, Web browser, People, Camera, Clock, Notes, Weather and more), so I don’t get it how the presence of also some basic Gallery settings (whose icon is also shown there anyway, it’s just that currently when tapped it only displays its Sailjail permissions as a placeholder) would change anything in this regard.

It is intentionally designed this way that all advanced app settings are accessible via such a separate section, so that they do not appear in the apps themselves and therefore they definitely DO NOT clutter up their GUI as no one who doesn’t need it has to ever go there.

Let’s not make SFOS (and its users) yet another victim of current world’s trends to cripple and dumb down everything to the lowest common denominator at the cost of ripping all advanced functionality out of it.

And while I am perfectly capable of manually editing some config files, I really do not think this is what one should expect from a serious OS only because offering a simple options page in a place designed specially for that might scare some intellectually handicapped people.

3 Likes

Few apps allow to setup something in Settings/Apps/ , but show only the rights of the app.
More individual settings for some apps would be fine, don’t appletize SFOS too much please!

4 Likes

Love this :smiley:

// post restriction limit

4 Likes