Jolla urgently looking for new ownership

How about issuing governance tokens and having a private sale for community members or Sailfish OS license holders?
Tokens could be then used to vote on some decisions or maybe even pay for the development of some features or apps.
A wallet and voting app could be integrated into the OS for easy access.
Going further with the idea, utility tokens could also be useful for generating revenue both for Jolla and governance token holders.
I think there are some options to explore in this area and it might be a nice solution for getting to the next levels.

4 Likes

I think we can see various people on this forum who should be let nowhere near the governance of Jolla. And this is roughly the original subject re: Rostelcom.

Minor stock issuance would probably require the support of existing stockholders.
Corporate bonds probably wouldn’t though and confer no obligation on Jola other than repayment.

Aside from one or two possible multimillionaires among us, the best way we can help now is to try to work with Jolla on publicity, the code base and the new user experience.

I was looking for any postive/neutral English language article on Sailfish articles in the mainstream tech press in the past 4 years. There isn’t one. In 4 years. There needs to be 10 per year eg 2 on 5 different sites.
The only articles are about this Rostelcom problem.

Like I’ve said this repeatedly, we are not the market. But tech press is a channel to Jolla’s corporate market and probably Govts as well.

If Jolla can’t do public relations, let the community help. PR’s not that difficult and alt mobile stuff is a hot topic at the moment. Whoever owns Nokia’s brand got a ton of free publicity in the last two days for having screws on the back of its phone.

3 Likes

I doubt there are enough users left that makes subscription based model viable - and I do not like it either… :wink:
With such limited consumer segment presence revenue is quite limited there is not completely irrelevant…

what is your guess for the current user base amount? my (completely wild guess based on number of installs of my app) bet is not that much above than 10k users if at all…

this is a volume business and they have to have the volume somewhere - fckup in Russia killed one viable option of government based revenue for not-that-US-fancy countries. Chine seems to go its own path (based on Android), other BRIC countries are silent…

2 Likes

or HMD, finally! SFOS would be perfect fit with smart(er) feature phone segment, at least - but hat requires VoLTE and WoWiFi support for the models…

2 Likes

Likewise, not a fan of a subscription model.

1 Like

This is pretty much the goal of the [Strategies] Bringing more sailors to SFOS thread. I know you already commented on it but others might not be aware of this thread.

3 Likes

You know what, yourself. With all due respect, of course.

Slightly Off Topic; – if there’s a topic available, I’d like to talk about that there!

Actually, if Unihertz were to release a phone with SFOS as an option, it would be a fine competitor. Think the Titan with would be a mighty fine compeitor to the FxTec Pro x1 (which is sort of the modern Nokia N900).

But if partnerships were to be a thing, I personally think Nokia with their new repairable phone, might be a good option, specially should Nokia invest into Jolla, making a resurgence of the olden days, maybe??

3 Likes

I’ll admit, when I was looking to switch to SFOS, I was very much worried about this exact problem. There isn’t a whole lot, and a lot of what’s available is either outdated, or misleading, if not incorrect.

In the game dev community, there is a common knowledge that the more you show your project/product, the more eyes will get to see and share, slowly reeling others’ interest.

In FOSS, there’s a similar thing; with the saying “Release Early, Release Often” in other to garner community support and maybe collaborations.

I’d like to think that in a future, something similar to this can happen for SFOS.

You need to know that Nokia is now just a brand. It has nothing with the original Nokia other than that.

But I do like the idea of respectable HW partner!

2 Likes

that’s the off-topic part. Hardware partners, and/or some vendors opening up a-la FxTec Pro x1 for potential partners (like Sony at this time) its not gonna help with the ownership problem but it can help with adaptability, granted, it might start as a comunity effort, with maybe Jolla adding the final sprinkes on top (ie VoLTE? AAS? etc)

let’s dream bigger
how about pink ponies?

4 Likes

My best advice to people at Jolla. Pool more cash and aggressively market yourself in the world’s largest democracy. That’s your only way out. The farther you stay away from Russian and Chinese money, the better.

I’m very certain that there are hardcore SFOS fans out there. Do your part. Promote the SFOS. Be toxic and let the world know of this awesome OS. I’ve not regretted my purchase of SFOS ever since I laid my hand on this OS in January. Let’s do our part. Promote, Promote, and Promote!

1 Like

I’m doing some YT videos about it :wink:

5 Likes

The same democracy that killed the biggest mobile maker with its own OS?
So that there was no foreign OS that would bring troubles for democratic spying all over the world.

That democracy? Good luck with that.

But Finns as well as rest of Europe swallowed it and are ok being subservant to US, since they can’t do a thing about it.

So basically J can live as a very niche smartphone OS player. If/when they grow to pose even a remote threat for iOS/android, they will get popped.

11 Likes

Wouldnt they be censoring the videos about sfos / jolla on youtube then? Considering how much they should fear them, it would be in their best interest?
PS: the market killed nokia, not the USA.

they don’t fear lice [it’s free market and democracy up to some point, after all :slight_smile: ]
if J grows, they’ll start to act

4 Likes

Microsoft killed Nokia (phones), not market or the USA.

3 Likes

Sure, you can blame MS if it makes you feel better.
The bitter reality, however, is that their market share was being eaten alive by Android / iOS.

Yes, the management chickened out, and could have stayed in the game with alot more chances than cowardly quitting. But still, the market scared the Management (Elop), which then means that the Market killed Nokia :slight_smile:
FWIW, I got the N9 on day one when it was available and didnt regret a single day with it. There. That’s the stone on top of it, before we derail the more important topic here…

1 Like