Jolla urgently looking for new ownership

An obvious solution to this problem would be the sale of Jolla to an Indian or Brazilian company that could continue its existing business relationships and development of SFOS.

To the initial thread theme,

Why doesn’t Jolla cooperate with Volla? SFOS runs fine on the Volla phone, installation / flashing is much easier than on Sony phones. This is much more a consumer friendly way while Jolla’s flashing procedure is more for couraged computer enthusiasts.

A cooperation would IMHO be worthwhile, and could bring Jolla income for licences if Jolla would allow to buy licences for the Vollaphones. On my latest experiences, SFOS runs much smoother on the Volla than on the Sony devices. Some bugs not present. E.g. you can switch the Volla off without tricks, the aspect ratio of the screen is more comfortable for watching videos and reading, the µ-processor is stronger, …

edit: GPS position fix on Volla, in the house (!), within 10 seconds. (of course in GPS only mode / flight mode). On Sony it needs always at least 5 minutes even under best conditions (outside, clear sky, free visibility in all directions)

Other opinions?

2 Likes

For a cooperation ya need consent of both parties. Thats why.

1 Like

That seems to be the hard reality, to the detriment of the customers and finally themselves.

2 Likes

Good afternoon! Is it true that Rostelecom currently owns 45% of Jolla shares? In 2018, there was information that Rostelecom owns a majority stake. Excerpt from the article and links to the source of nide .

"The Russian telecommunications giant acquired a controlling stake in a Finnish developer in 2018 and, according to Samuli Simoyoka, this hinders Jolla’s business in Europe.

In 2015, Russian businessman Grigory Berezkin bought control of the developer company created by natives of Nokia[2]. He not only acquired a Finnish startup, but also organized the independent development of the Sailfish Mobile OS RUS mobile operating system (in 2019 it was renamed Aurora OS) in Russia on the basis of the “Open Mobile Platform” (WMD). In 2018, the Russian operator Rostelecom bought 75% of the shares in the companies Votron and OMP [3]. As of 2018, Rostelecom, through Votron, owned a 61.5% stake in Sailfish Holding Ltd. (Hong Kong), which in turn controlled almost 83.2% of Jolla[4]."

3 Likes

Blockquote

JollaLeader

28d

Current board members:

• Samuli Simojoki, Independent member and chairman of the board
  • Alexander Ayvazov (representative of Rostelecom)
  • Alexander Kolesnikov (representative of Rostelecom),
  • Boris Krasnovsky (Russian private investor)
  • Alessandro Mondini Branzi (Independent board member)
  • Gregor Rudolf Zetsche (Representative of Daimler)
  • Sami Pienimäki (Jolla)

Executives:

• CEO Sami Pienimäki
  • VP Sales Petteri Paasila
  • CTO Marko Saukko
  • CFO Harri Kairento

The company’s largest owner, but not the majority owner, is indirectly Rostelecom. Rostelecom is a Russian listed company in which the Russian State owns about 45%. Jolla has for some time been looking a shareholding structure that would provide a balanced ownership structure and significantly reduce Russian ownership. In the current situation, Jolla is looking for a shareholding structure entirely without Russian ownership.

This is the latest official statement from Jolla in this forum regarding russian shares. My interpretation is that russian state owns 45% of Rostelecom, not Rostelecom 45% of Jolla.
Explicit numbers about Rostelecom’s share of Jolla are not given.

3 Likes

So in your image, top right is Rostelcom. .75x.61 is ~45%.

With your name, I’m guessing you can tell us the other Russian ones, particularly the top-left? Is it Open Mobile Platforms?

2 Likes

ОПМ - yes , it’s Open mobile platforms

Screenshot_20220330-215347

Yandex browser translated pictures

2 Likes

Personally, I don’t really care to bandy about which ‘evil empire’ is currently to be ostracized. I’m not in favor of putting all this pressure on because of ‘dynamic’ developments in ownership structures.

I have friends who worked for DARPA in the 1980s and 90s under supervision of US Marines while developing ‘THE’ internet. Now, the interests of the state (not exactly ‘christian’, if you know what I mean) heavily influenced a lot of tech. developments in ways we have yet to understand. In any case, that political advantage for ‘a state’ was a given, well, is a given. If you think your way to Assange, you can hardly argue that the ownership structures should, well, move to … where exactly? Germany? Gambia? Who is the moral highground in this discussion?

Although I’m also somewhat ‘stunned’ by the ‘state of affairs’, I’m not inclined to vilify Russian influence, per se. Let’s face it, having some CIA black-ops outfit with MIT cover running shit is no better. And yeah, I’m happy if the invasion, which it most certainly is, fails. But that has nothing to do with Jolla.

I say that as a person born under a military dictatorship in South America (bolivia, 1968). That country of my birth is still recovering from the interference of other states. Both America and Russia.

I also want to say that I’m happy that we haven’t started world war three yet. hope, hope, hope.

17 Likes

Oh, and just to be really clear, my passport is Canadian. In keeping with the moral high ground known as ‘South Park’, blame Canada.

6 Likes

Well said! Let’s please dispense with the fantasy that one country is responsible for all the evil in the world and that all other nations are pure as the driven snow. It’s dangerous and dishonest. The fact of the matter is that no politicians, no countries can be trusted. We need to accept this and pull the power back to the local level, where we can better watch the foxes.

5 Likes

Not even that; all cars have dashboards and generally plenty electronics in them.

I’m not so sure about that. The way geopolitics are developing I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a legal option to withdraw unilaterally.
Getting your money back would be another thing of course, but I seem to have read somewhere that governments (are planning to) help with that.
But Jolla isn’t the only company in such a predicament, so I wouldn’t hold my breath. OTOH it’s not a large company, the sums involved are peanuts, relatively speaking.

The sanctions are way too broad, but there’s no other way, I’m sorry to say - not least because Russia is not a democracy anymore and has made itself completely opaque to the outside world.

And the sanctions work - apart from having generally less money, Russia is now unable to get some imported spare parts for military equipment. That means less killing, and a better world for all countries bordering on Russia.

I can elaborate if you want, but please PM me on that or start a new thread.

Let’s not forget Cloudflare etc.

Are you refering to Sweden’s plans to get rid of cash? Did they actually go through with that? :dizzy_face:
Here in Finland there are definitely other ways to do each of these things, most of them electronic, and not requiring cumbersome extra steps like mailing letters.

Sorry, I couldn’t resist reacting to some posts…

Anyhow, I came here to ask if there’s been any official development in this since March?

Oh and btw, Finns like to think things over before they speak; a long silence can even be a good thing.

1 Like

No, cash hasn’t stopped being used, but I’ve been in Sweden since December and have only handled cash on a couple of occasions in that time. It’s definitely becoming rare.

I cant even say how wrong you are, you are a statist believing in the monopoly of violence, in coercion and immorality as states do and democracy (the cult that think they have a choice in who is stealing from them). Taxation is theft!

4 Likes

Has anyone seen Inside Job on Netflix recently?

Jolla should cooperate with Volla and compound dispute about such obstructing things like licence fees…
The Sony devices are wonderful, but the Volla phone is also a very fine device. The Volla port of SFOS works perfect and a lot of things work better than on the Sony X10.

rant on (sorry, have to say this)
Me as user absolutely doesn’t interest what some businesspeople think that they have to squabble about money until nothing comes out at the end.
I want AlienDalvik and Predictive Text Input also on my Volla phone and not only on ‘officially supported’ devices! Jolla, please make a licence model: Pay 50 Euro, download and install at own risk with no guarantee. But ‘Device not supported’ is absolutely no option.
rant off.

So I hope that for the Sailfish OS project, a cooperation with Volla may be an option and will hopefully not interfere Jolla’s other projects like car systems etc.
Good luck!

8 Likes

not easy. As much as I like Sailfish as a descendant of Memo and Meego, etc, I always found the company appeared uptight, uninformative, not user friendly, and the OS not Opensource. Whilst other platforms focus on mainline linux OSes like Manjaro or Postmarket with KDE plasma mobile and other shells to choose from, I feel that corner is where the fireworks go off these days.
JollaOY may head another direction for good reason - with less focus on the individual user. With wayDroid on the heels of Jolla’s Android compatibility, they both kinda work for many tasks and not for others.

2 Likes

seems like I’ll have to add another phone to my collection to test all this OSes in a relaxed way in the mean time… :wink:

1 Like

Yes, classic documetary and still relevant.

1 Like