Jolla and the SFOS community

Ah, so you actually work for Jolla - I didn’t know that. Are there more Jolla employees lurking on the forum is disguise that us newbies wouldn’t recognise? :slight_smile: To improve perception of community engagement why not change your handle to ‘Jolla - flypig’ or similar? At least then Jolla involvement would be more obvious.

1 Like

It’s quite possible. Stay sharp :smiley:

That’s not a bad idea; I think TJC had a badge but there doesn’t seem to be an equivalent here (it does say in my bio if you click on the pig).

2 Likes

My wife always says I am limited to one good idea per day. She says the rest are usually rubbish …

4 Likes

Another good sign is that almost(?) all of them have the Leader badge/status. Making that, or a dedicated Jolla badge visible directly on the posts would be nice.

Although i do have to agree with @diegoc, it does seem several sailors steer clear of the forum. But i don’t take that as that they don’t value the community, i rather have experience to the contrary.
Between having too much to do and not enough time to do it, and the sometimes quite accusatory tone on here, i can’t really fault them for it.

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone is accusing Jolla or anyone else of anything here - or not that I’ve seen. They’re (me included) just expressing their own opinion which you may or may not agree with. Also, people of different nationalities and cultures express opinions in different ways - some cultures are more direct than others. All makes for a good lively discussion though :grinning:

3 Likes

Thank you for your reply! I really appreciate that Jolla cares about the community (in the end, they set up the forums). After being a big Blackberry 10 user until the purchase of a Sony Xperia 10 II at the end of 2020, it really sucks when a company completely ignores the community (although Crackberry forums was never meant to be an official place, it would have been nice to get more feedback from RIM).

I guess that after reading @orangecat’s post the other day (SailfishOS in universities: feedback on experiences) about how unnecessarily complex it was for uni students to actually develop and test for Sailfish OS (and being a uni student myself, I agreed quite a lot with what their impressions were), and not seeing any feedback from Jolla (or not that I’m aware of anyway), I finally thought that it was worth bringing this up. I really want this project to succeed not only in the business area with Russian companies, but rather as a good, solid and open alternative to iOS and Android, something that Canonical, Mozilla and Blackberry (minus the open part) have all deemed impossible or impractical. With how good the OS is already (I haven’t been able to use it on a daily driver, but I have extensively tested it on other people’s devices), it’d be great to have more documentation, maybe a bit more presence on the community from Jolla with what @Steve_Everett mentioned about the badges (don’t want to waste any of the engineers’ time, so maybe a more official group of volunteers could be set up to handle this? support on this forum is already amazing by regular users), and more content online (helping to get SFOS on content creators’ hands? something that would help spread the word more) would be quite nice to make more people aware of this great project.

3 Likes

I really didn’t want to sound accusatory. Although I could have worded the post a bit better (maybe it sounded more like a rant than an attempt at a constructive conversation), I didn’t want to criticise and accuse, I just wanted to point out a feeling that maybe others were having and were not expressing. Hope that Jolla didn’t take it the wrong way.

2 Likes

It wasn’t directed at you. Your initial post is fair, measured, and constructive.
But there are plenty of threads around where people are overly negative, and blame Jolla for things that are out of their control, or obviously too expensive. I’ll refrain from pointing them out at this time.
Often they deteriorate into “GAAH, Jolla needs to fix all the issues”, promptly followed by failing to actually specify what issues, or indeed why Jolla can reasonably do anything about them.

@Steve_Everett
You have maybe blipped on my negativity-radar once or twice, but you do try to be constructive. I’m judging possible reactions from sailors by my own experiences here, as a developer also from the Nordics. So it is definitely bound to be a bit off, but also closer than many. I don’t think directness is really an issue, but when that turns confrontational instead of constructive, it could definitely become one.

5 Likes

Easy solution - turn your negativity radar off and save battery power! Then you won’t have to second-guess what our motives are for posting the posts we post :wink: I can’t imagine that anyone (me included) is on this forum for any other purpose than they like Sailfish and want it to succeed :grinning:

3 Likes

It was just a matter of speech, and i really did mean it was minor.

I have no wish to search them out, trust me. But there have in fact been times where people plain have refused to be constructive or even fair. And that gets in the way of the rest of us.

3 Likes

Based on my experiences over the past 7+ years, I must say I’ve seen Jolla employees reply to loads of questions and help out with all sorts of problems. Whether their Jolla hat is on or off, they’re Sailfish enthusiasts just like us community members, who want Sailfish to succeed and people to succeed with Sailfish - you don’t work for a small company if you don’t in some way believe in that company. I’m 100% sure that if you’d ask Jolla for help with a problem you’re experiencing on the now-retired Jolla 1, someone would still give it a look - within reason, of course.

4 Likes

But that also tells us something useful - that, for whatever reason, their experience has not been good - they’re frustrated, angry, unfair or not constructive. So why? Key to fixing any user or customer’s perception of a product is to understand why they hold that perception. When the reason is understood, the underlying cause can be fixed - the product improved, their perception corrected or whatever. Normally happy users or customers rarely complain or comment, unhappy users or customers do - and this can be destructive as you say. I’m all for understanding them and fixing their problem.

I do somewhat agree with this in that there is a certain distance between the company and the community. While there are company people around, in terms of communication, strategy, plans and even ultimate vision for Sailfish, the company is less than transparent. Being more transparent would create a warmer feel in the community.

However, when you’re a small company struggling for survival, it is very easy to become a little unfocused on the community. Especially if that community becomes a forum for complaints and whining (which is not uncommon — we are on the Internet after all). Your attention stretches only to the immediate things that can keep you afloat. Been there done that.

To really be able to make the community a multiplier you need two things:

• A strong USP (as mentioned in another thread). Something the OS does uniquely different or uniquely well that the users rave about, and which the company raves about (think early days of Tesla or iPhone). That way the other quirks are forgiven.

• Strong leadership that can convey energy, a vision, and create a following.

3 Likes

That’s what I wanted to express, but you put it 1000 times better than I could!
And regarding your last point, I agree. It’s not very easy to see who’s behind Jolla now. If you go to their YouTube page, the last video is from two or three years ago. It’s hard to create that following if you don’t know who exactly to follow. Some might argue that the product will speak for itself, but sadly in the real world good marketing helps quite a lot. As you say, they are not very transparent about their vision or their long-term plans, which is not great when it’s such a small community (small compared to Android, haha)

2 Likes

How? By just pointing out the truth?
This should not be the case and must not happen at all in an open forum, imo!
And I am sure it does also not help to keep silent about the well-known shortcomings…

I have followed the last days a lot of @Steve_Everett 's posts and do see them all as valid and with well formed wording. And no negativity.

Nevertheless I agree there have been lots of whining and demanding as well a lot of times.
For whatever reasons? I am not going to join that discussion…

As a side note:
I started to use SFOS as daily driver only around summer/fall 2018 (before using N9/x0 and Jolla1/C only as hobby) with XA2 with updated Android support.
Just to find end of 2019 that some unacceptable bug(s) hindered me to update to 3.3, then again to 3.4 and now again with 4.0. So my daily driver is still on 3.2.
And those bugs were partly resolved only, and new (imho some unacceptable) introduced. Again I do not want to start/join that discussion…

3 Likes

I see i was too vague even in the clarification. I took it as a bit of an implicit question of whether @Steve_Everett was complicit, and all i meat to say was “not really, but we can all improve”.

But it also doesn’t help to repeat them time and time again without adding anything to the conversation.
(Not saying anyone here did that, talking about the generic case)

Good, then we agree. :slight_smile:

I’d like to talk to you about the narrative that recent releases are somehow effective unusable… because i don’t see basically any other people saying that, and i certainly don’t experience it. And actually this serves a a bit of an example - not citing any sources for that claim. After all, a bit more attention on said issues can’t hurt? But i’ll not press, let me know when you are ready if you want to talk (probably not in this thread).

I am hoping you’ve got your words wrong here, but just to be clear, it is not up to you or anybody else to sit in judgement of me and whether my posts are complicit, to your personal satisfaction, or whatever. You may disagree with my point of view - that’s your prerogative and I fully respect that, but this is an open forum and all points of view should be encouraged and welcomed - and if they repeat a view or a shortcoming that has been stated before, perhaps many times, then perhaps more weight should be attached to fixing it. Enough said.

2 Likes

I did not keep track of all those issues (maybe I should have :frowning: ).
But just to state two or three (in my eyes unacceptable issues for a daily driver for at least 3 months!) please see below.

I agree not all of them are blockers to use but absolutely hindering/derailing daily experience!
Some may be system-file-edited away.
Some may not affect all but a good portion of people (would I risk to be one of them?).

And I did/do not want to derail the good intention of this thread so please open up another one (which I was just to lazy and mayne disappointed) to do so) in case you feel to the need to discuss below issues (and more if you need to be pointed at):

(yes, I know, last one is evil. but hey it is pandemic)

oh, and this

and maybe such

or maybe this here (adding one-by-one as stumbling upon them on daily basis without looking for them…)

And I am not the only one but maybe I just keep pointing at here in this forum …

Well David, you are the Jolla an employee, why don’t you bring that topic up Jolla-internally?

As it became obvious, it is quite relevant for FSO users to be able to distinguish Jolla employees from community people, in order to prevent perceptions as “Jolla employees are lurking in this forum and disguising themselves as community members”.
IMO these negative perceptions are a logical consequence of Jolla employees not being detectable as such, here at FSO (in contrast to TJC).
Side note: “It’s quite possible. Stay sharp :smiley:” is not an appropriate reaction to somebody pointing out this issue, from my (community) POV.

1 Like

I understood Steve’s use of “lurking” to be lighthearted rather than negative, and my response was intended as lighthearted as well. If I offended you, Steve or anyone else with my comment, then I apologise. In particular, I should make clear that I don’t believe there’s any actual lurking going on from Jolla employees.

I have brought up the issue internally though. Let’s see what happens.

2 Likes