Little preface: I’m just a normal sailfishos user and in no way I am an active developer, but I do observe and read about active developement and have made so far by a long time my humble opinion on the state of things that I’ll share here in a constructive way, although a bit critical maybe.
I wish to open this thread to highlights a destructive tendency that could impact sailfishos in the near future, if it’s not yet doing so; I’d also like the most people possible to participate in this thread, from user/community side to jolla’s side.
It’s no secret to anyone that many things in the sailfish world did not work in the last years. Although many are comprehensible, some are not. Jolla is a small startup still, struggling to recover from many past situations… but to what extent can we consider all this fruit of past issues? In the last months especially, some tendencies yet known towards poor comunications and one-sided decisions are breaking the trust between community and jolla, one time more… I’m referring to some evident active developers quiting sailfish (https://mobile.twitter.com/eugenio_g7/status/1297162722023440384) or discussing with some jolla internals because of long-standing contributions considered little or none (will search and post here later) which is all very sorry to see.
The result is that today sailfish is lagging behind in many aspects that have been pointed out infinite times by the community and not managed properly or even considered:
- The Qt version update dilemma, stopping out more sailfish developement;
- In the store it’s not possible still to contribute/donate money to developers, stopping a real ecosystem of apps to becreated (not to mention that a better comment interaction with the dev under an app window of the store was really never considered);
- The browser, another never ending dilemma;
- Lacks of communications by Jolla side;
- Not clear statements about a really required public roadmap;
- No clear statements since years (!) about the tablet refund, even an honest update once in a while stating “we’re not still able to pay”.
Has not come a time for a new deal between Jolla and its community of users/developers?