Is update 4.6 a beautiful disaster?

It is always the same. I am still on 4.4.0.72. I would love to get some fixes and updates, but too many things do not work right, so … perhaps another chance … I am waiting

1 Like

No, as I had zero issues so far

2 Likes

what are you basing your question on? Your own experience or ppl who post in this forum?

I’ve voted No; during the early access period I’ve had to deal with missing a few applications, but that was my own conscious choice.
Now that it’s maturing, like a fine wine, I’m enjoying the higher OpenVPN version, the enormous list of vulnerability fixes, the hardware camera shutter (Xperia 10 III), and several other things! :partying_face:

The only thing I would really like is the original weather application to work, I’m using Meecast, and whilst the application is great both opened and on the running apps window, I’m not a fan of it’s event view compared to the original one. But it’s being worked on from what I’ve read! :smiling_face:

1 Like

Just a normal release. Nothing of interest or any of the major issues of SFOS fixed.

1 Like

I do not see the point of this vote, the release notes poll is the place to vote, out of 88 votes it has:

• 81% I had no issues during the upgrade process
  • 10% I got into serious trouble when upgrading my device (please help!)
  • 8% I had small issues but was able to handle them
  • 1% I did not dare or want to update
5 Likes

I didnt upgrade to 4.6. Im observing topics at forum and see many issues after upgrading. I joined recently, several months ago so I can not compare this with prev major upgrades.

It sounds very much to a cognitive bias as all users with a problem will speak about it, but the rest won’t write as everything is fine. Or more discretely.

8 Likes

I voted NO since roaming and 5G seem to work on 10iii now.

1 Like

So what do you really want to achieve with this post/poll?
To me it’s just a pollution of a forum with serious discussion.

1 Like

There are some issues with 4.6.0.13. However, for me all of the can be managed.

Despite these issues, 4.6.0.13 is another (huge) improvement over all previous releases. So, don’t be fooled by the reports on the issues

2 Likes

In the case of this user, I saw the 4.6 upgrade made available over OTA yesterday.
I ran the upgrade last night and since then things have only been an improvement.

The upgrade itself gave no issues at all, as you would hope.

The browser crashes an awful lot less, (hasn’t happened at all yet, despite me using it quite a bit last night).

I haven’t tested calls over 4G yet. I had to turn that off under a previous version because it was behaving weird.

1 Like

@espen @emva
I did not know about the survey at [Release notes] Sauna 4.6.0.13. I am glad that the results of both polls roughly coincide.
Thanks for the votes and encourage you to vote

I don’t want ro ‘spoil’ the release announcement thread, as there has been no major problems with the update process itself. Plus, many vulnerabilities have been adressed and the integration of 5G on top of restructuring the basis for future versions surely deserve some appreciation.
However in my perspective the way how the efforts have been managed are no longer in range of a customers expectation for years now. As a result, updates are working in itself but do not contain fixes or quality improvements the user is relying on. This all started with the lack of VoLTE support back in the day: It simply broke the main feature of a phone in some countries, where 3G was switched off and only a weak 2G signal was available. Those were horrible days. I expect from a vendor that such things are adressed in advance. We’re not talking about a weather app integration, we talk about the ability to make phone calls on a phone. This as essential as it gets.
Moving on, the fix was to implement VoLTE as a beta which saved it in a way, but then again: ‘beta’ with all of its downsides… One of which: Sending sms messages is no longer working when VoLTE is activated. This issue still persists today and reminds me that it’s not done yet.
On top comes now the 4.6 release which brings back android connectivity issues for mobile networks, ironically described as ‘fixed’ in the ‘known issues’ document by version 4.5. In fact, this wasn’t even quite true as it happened from time to time with 4.5 versions, but it was at least tolerable. Now it’s getting worse again. It also affects the mobile hotspot function: I constantly need to toggle mobile data now several times on a daily basis.

I refuse to believe that these are ‘unsolvable’ problems. I can also see that there are people working hard for the forthcoming of their product. What I criticize here isn’t the effort, nor the knowledge. It’s the guidance. Somehow in time this company has -at least in parts - lost focus in serving it’s customers. And as essential functions are not addressed or aren’t tested thoroughly enough before roll-out for years, I can only assume there is a decision making process behind it. Someone seems to say something like “we have already 13 iterations of the new release: It’s time to roll-out!”, ignoring the fact that some parts still need further testing and - as it turns out now - obviously: fixing.

So I’m very reluctant to say the least, when it comes to the monthly paid license services. If the guidance or decision making is not changed regarding essential functionalities of a mobile phone OS, more money won’t do anything. It can help in general to keep the company alive, for sure, and I’m all for that. But when it only fuels the strategy I feel lost and unimportant with, I can’t see any value in that to support it actively.

7 Likes

While it seems a lot of things have been fixed, I cannot use my sim anymore so… yeah.

1 Like

It baffles me to no end that people are so eager to prescribe a single binary good-or-bad label to a specific release.
Some years back it was ~4.0 that was the villain and now it is 4.6.
Can’t we just focus on the specific issues instead?

3 Likes

There are some users with SMS issues and I expect these to write about it here. But this is by far no issue for all of us.

There are some issues with mobile data and Android but many seem to handle them. I activate mobile data just before leaving my WiFi coverage and than deactivate WiFi. But your mileage may vary.

But… that would be like not telling the company how to set up its strategy!
Not derailing every discussion to politics and conspiracies?
I don’t know if this will work out.

1 Like

Sorry to baffle you. :wink:
My intention wasn’t to label a certain release as good or bad. In fact I even did appreciate the current release in parts. So it’s not that.
I hoped to have emphasized that the ‘specific issue’ is the lack of focus on quality of (user-)experience for some time now. At least in my humble opinion.
I owned a jolla 1 device back in the day, even had a Nokia N900 with maemo before. There was a time, when basic operations (phone calls, data connectivity) simply have been working. This is no longer the case with recent updates, unfortunately. For some time now, I’m reading early access comments, wait for public release and then expect the worst and hope for the best. Results are… well… at least mediocre.

Maybe. In fact, it doesn’t bother me that much either. But then again it does, simply because I wonder why not even trying to solve it completely? Why are issues regarding e.g. notification LEDs adressed and this seems to be ignored? For me the SMS issue is way more ‘important’ than a notification bug.
I know, not everything can be solved right away, even or especially when major functions are involved. And of course there are always easier tasks which simply get fixed rather quickly. What I miss is coherency (“this sms issue is a residue of our somewhat less optimal VoLTE introduction, let’s keep an eye on that and have it fixed in the next 2 updates…”) or at least some transparency ("issue is ranked … Because …), I don’t know…

Well, I can ‘handle’ them as well. But my question is, why do we need to do it in the first place using the known workarounds? And why is an update rising the frequency of using such workarounds?
To be honest, I’d be absolutely fine if this would happen to 5G introduction only. It’s a new feature, it has some flaws, but in general it works. So things will be smoothed and sorted out in further releases. But no… It’s already (almost) working features which are getting compromised again. And I know: This can happen in software development. Absolutely fine with that. But you must not release it to the public, then…

1 Like