Is there a way to verify that Mozilla Location Services work

Your question has been answered somewhere in the epic XA2/GPS thread(s).

battery saving mode uses online services which are dead on SFOS.

you need to choose some specific setting under
custom settings
and select GPS and Offline
(afair)

and to check
just run GPS Info
and wait for (depending on country/continent/world selection) a few seconds (<30)
and see your location matching roughly ( a few thousand meters off, again depending on cell tower availability/locations).

1 Like

It is not High Accuracy mode that uses offline MLS. You have to use Custom Settings ->Offline Position from Mozilla.

OK. I tested with custom settings (xz2c phone in case it matters) and only the mozilla options enabled. 5-6 minutes later not even a rough position fix.

Something seems/is wrong.

Do you have the offline location packages installed from Store for your region?

Should you are using Pure Maps for checking rough position fix only then set PM->Preferences->Navigation->Positioning Accuracy accordingly i.e. 50m.

also, may need to chown mslbd directory…
See post #21 here - Any replacement plan for Mozilla location service? - #20 by Levone1

Obviously

Still nothing after that.

the permissions seem right (root root)

Shameless necro bump.

Any solution to this would be more than welcome. :neutral_face:

Until hopefully 4.5, I’d say @nekron patch which is great, (thanks again to @nekron) + offline mls (but it relys on google :cry:)

Disable the online service and leave only the offline service and GPS enabled. Probably still takes long time to download the epochs from the satellites, but those are the recommended settings.

Tested this and it doesn’t seem to change much. :neutral_face:

Still seems to rely only on the GPS.

Use GPSinfo inside a building:

Did you try this one from the GPS thread?

I haven’t tested this myself yet, but reading from the thread, many people say it has helped them get a lock in just a few seconds when outside and in reasonable time when inside. The “hack” turns off the TLS for A-GPS so the device can download the almanac/ephemeris from Google.

Could you link the patch you are talking about, I can’t find it

I think you must be very in hurry getting a fix :–)
It is in posts #21 and #16 just just above, or here.

1 Like

I must have been blind, couldn’t find it while browsing with SFOS Forum app. Thanks!

Necro bump since we have a new release and the thing still seems to suck.

Any ideas how to test or something?

It doesn’t suck but MLS rely on database that do not cover all of CellId. There are a lot of missing of 4G Cell Id in MLS database. You have to switch to 2G network to get best results.
To test does it work you need CellMon to check Cell Id, LocationId, mcc and mnc.
Then you can check if a cell you are logged in there is in a database, using terminal :

geoclue-mlsdb-tool --query 'locationId' 'cellId' 'mcc' 'mnc' /home/.system/usr/share/geoclue-provider-mlsdb/'countrycode'/'numer1-9'/mlsdb.data

Should you get “geoclue-mlsdb data file does not contain location of cell with id:” MLS will not work for that cell.

2 Likes

Tried that and it didn’t seem to improve the speed or anything for the matter. No idea whats going on. :expressionless:

1 Like

An answer is simple, a mobile cell you are connected to there is not in the MLS database.