Internet Sharing Not Sharing Internet

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): > %95
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.3 (and lower)
HARDWARE (XA2, X10, X10 II, …): XA2 and other phones
UI LANGUAGE: English
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): No

DESCRIPTION:

When enabling Internet sharing
The wifi connection connects, but doesn’t share the internet connection

PRECONDITIONS:

Seen the issue on several Linux laptops and Chromebooks

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Get a laptop
  2. Share the internet of the phone
  3. Observe you can’t browse

EXPECTED RESULT:

The internet should work

ACTUAL RESULT:

The laptop get’s an IP address in the 72.28.172.XXX range from the phone
No network connecion

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A workaround seems to be possible by running:
ssh defaultuser@172.28.172.1 -D 1024
on the laptop, then setting the OS to proxy though socks5 e.g:
socks5://127.0.0.1:1024

This is a bug that has been seen on the Jolla phone, Xerperia X and the XA2 and with multiple laptops.

Having to use socks5 prevents other things from working on my laptop.
This bug doesn’t happen if I tether off an Android phone

3 Likes

I alao get it with my other phones. However, I’ve found that a few disconnect/reconnect, restarts, etc., usually makes it work eventually, but definitely annoying…

Thanks for the proxy tip… I just set http and https proxy in SF terminal with export, and it connected right up.

Wifi tethering always worked for me ( and I’m using SailfishOS since the Jolla phone) - until today. Couldn’t get it up even by restarting multiple times. I eventually decided to stop at a filling station and use their hotspot since it was somewhat urged (and I needed to connect a Windows notebook).
This is a nogo and probably related to newer software releases. This should be a bug of higher priority.

Just tested it with my XA2, 4.3.0.15.
I am actually writing this on my computer connected via tethering.
Seems to work.

Yes bit that’s probably just luck…
Or it is a 64bit issue. Newer had problems on my XA2 but on the X10.

This is defiantly a real issue, do you think I should raise this as a bug for them?

2 Likes

I think this is a real Bug as it also appears on Xperia 10 III and the latest OS (4.4.0.64):

1 Like

Yes, I can reproduce it too on Xperia 10 II and 4.4.0.64 SFOS.

1 Like

Still broken on X10ii/recent release.

I am also experiencing this issue.

1 Like

Also Jolla C sfos 4.4.0.64. Both Kindle and Android tab unable to connect.

Don’t know if this is new - have not used hotspot for years.

EDIT: This seems to have been a password problem. I changed the hotspot password, set years ago, and it works.

I had the same problem on a X10 / 4.4.0.64 abt. 2 weeks ago, out of the blue, reason unknown. But simply a few reboots (1 or 2) did help. It works fine again since that time.

Hello,

Same problem here with Xperia 10 II on SailfishOS 4.4.0.64. I just got the device.

I was told of a workaround by the owner of an old Jolla phone who knew a similar issue and it works, so I’m posting here:

WORKAROUND:
Force mobile network to use IPV4. For that, go to settings → mobile → data access point and select Protocol to change its value to “IP” (instead of “mixed” or “IPV6”).
My OS is not in English so I am not 100% sure of the labels you will find, but you will get the idea.

From what I understood, the problem is that SailfishOS does not translate IPV6 to IPV4 when tethering.

Have fun,

Kazlu

3 Likes

I can confirm that this fixed the issue for me - many thanks!

If I try setting the Protocol to IP, then my phone looses it’s internet connection
My network operator is EE UK
this does not work for me :frowning: