Installing meteoblue app failed

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100 %
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.4.0.58
HARDWARE (XA2, X10, X10 II, …): XA2
UI LANGUAGE: German
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?):

DESCRIPTION:

Trying to install the meteoblue app by means of file browser (2.5.0) from Jolla store. Changed /usr/share/applications/apkd-mime-handler.desktop according to release notes known issues.
With Sailfish 4.3 it could be installed.

PRECONDITIONS:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. open file browser, touch apk file
  2. touch apk file => choose “install” from the menu
  3. got error: file type application/vnd.android.package-archive is not supported

EXPECTED RESULT:

ACTUAL RESULT:

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

(Please ALWAYS attach relevant data such as logs, screenshots, etc…)

Are you using the filebrowser app from ichtyosaurus.? Issues for third party apps are usually best placed in the issue tracker in their repository

It is likely that you cant install the app because filebrowser does not have the necessary sailjail permissions for that.

Yes, I’m using the filebrowser app 2.5.1 from ichtyosaurus. If this way to install won’t work, how can I install apk files?

There is an internal File Browser (Settings → Storage → User data → Pull down and choose File Manager), go to the directory where your apk is stored and click on it. Sailfish should ask you if you want to install it.

2 Likes

By using the original /usr/share/applications/apkd-mime-handler.desktop the app can be installed by means of the file browser from ichtyosaurus. Using

[X-Sailjail]
Disabled

in apkd-mime-handler.desktop as the release notes ([Release notes] Vanha Rauma 4.4.0) recommend, does NOT work!
The app can be installed without an error, but unfortunately the app does not start. There is only a black window on the home screen, which won’t open.
The app consists of four apk files, one main file and three config files. Does such a kind of app have to be handled differently on installation?

How did you downloaded the package? With apkmirror? It’s usually recommended to install from Aurora Store (available from F-Droid).

On my side, I downloaded to test it from apkmirror and could easily install it and launch it.
Thank you in advance for the clarification!

Since this isn’t a bug directly related to Sailfish OS, but instead seems to be related to Filebrowsaer, I’ve moved it into the Applications category. I hope that makes sense, but if you think it would make more sense in some other category, please let me know.

Installing by means of Aurora Store did work