Idea: Jolla offering a paid service to flash Sony and Volla phones with SFOS

Easy money. Just do it :wink:

3 Likes

Iā€™ve used SF for seven years, through Jolla 1, Aquafish, Xperia X - all of them worn out (in particular the usb plug for charging is where things break down, although my X also got problems with camera and mic before it finally died - I mean there are a limit as to how many times they can be dropped onto a concrete floor and still function ā€¦)
I now sit with a Xperia 10 II that Iā€™ve not been able to flash SF onto (as well as a Xperia 10 which for reasons outside of SF has not gotten SF installed, either).

Iā€™ve also wondered why Jolla doesnā€™t partner with some entities around that could perform installation. Iā€™m not a geek, and it takes so much time to sort out the issues of why the installation processes stops, (apparently now because my crime is to use a laptop with USB 3.0 ports ā€¦), and I would gladly pay more than the license fee to have the installation performed by somebody who knows what theyā€™re doing and have the right equipment.

And as for all the issues with the OS, I would still buy SF if they offered a phone OS that provided just the functions of phone, SMS, notes and clock/alarm. Forget Android apps and all the other fancy stuff that creates all the problems. I could even do without a camera and browser, but the browser in latest version for Xperia X works good enough. The Rock Solid Core SF is what I want the most.

2 Likes

I had the same issue with XA2 about a year ago. A $3 USB2.0 hub from Amazon did the trick here.

Another way is to use an USB cable without the USB 3 pins, in other words an old cable thatā€™s only made for USB 2.0.

@Espen exactely. I mean Jolla could do preorders of device batches and if there is enough demand, they can sell the devices of that batch. There would be no risk at all for Jolla. And the OS would spread also among average users :slight_smile: Its only an idea, but at least we would try to reach a certain direction :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, that is not enough to fix it. Almost all my USB A-C cables are only wired for USB2.0, but they still donā€™t work. (But using another controller on the same computer and a fully wired USB C-C 3.X cable works just fine)

2 Likes

I also tried 6 old USB 2 cables, but to no avail . Only when I found an old USB2 hub did it work using a new USB-A to USB-C cable.

Thanks for the link to this. Iā€™m looking to buy a phone from him for my brother (he has an original Jolla thatā€™s coming to the end of itā€™s life). I just wanted to check that heā€™s safe and that the OS is the full one or do you need to buy that and add it?
Thanks!

He installs the free version, but there is no difference. You can enter your license after purchase and then you will get access to the payed features in the Jolla store.

Thatā€™s great. Thanks :grinning:

Nice idea, but probably another option would be more effective: Jolla flashes devices on.forehand and new customers can.buy these flashed devices from Jolla. This is how the /e/foundation does it and that seems to work.
A flashing service can bring in more customers, but only if it is made easy. The first time after Jolla 1 James Noori did it for me, the second time I got some advice and did it myself and the third time I did it entirely on my own. But donā€™t expect that ordinary customers are willing to do this.

What about /e/ foundation? They are small too, probably smaller than Jolla, yet they manage to offer a flashing service if one buys a device from them.

I donā€™t think this is a good idea. A ready made product is much better.

The ubports installer is actually ā€˜easyā€™ to use. There is one moment you have to interact with TWRP, but thatā€™s it. Thatā€™s the sideload part. Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s already ā€˜too complicatedā€™. But I think not.

Doing an install for /e/ is more traditional and hence a bit tricky.

So far I havenā€™t been able to get the 4.1 images (using the /e/ install method) working but the 3.4 images are really easy to install. As soon as 4.1 is ā€˜finishedā€™ itā€™ll end up in ubports and be easy to install.

i think the idea is good and if they do not want to make it on their own, they can cooperate with guy from jolladevices.com
/e/ is a good example, you can even sent them a device and they would flash it for you

4 Likes