How to increase root volume & partition size on Volla phone

Hello,
I’ve installed sailfishos on my vollaphone and all works fine (thanks @piggz :stuck_out_tongue: ) but I would increase my root partition.
I don’t find hybris-recovery.img so I can’t use recovery mode for increase my lvm root partition Guide: Installing Sailfish X on Xperias - together.jolla.com

Is it possible to find hybris-recovery.img for vollaphone ?

Or have you got an other way for increase my root partition ?

2 Likes

The recovery image is here Show nemo:testing:hw:volla:yggdrasil / droid-hal-yggdrasil - SailfishOS Open Build Service

Thanks
I’ve extract hybris-recovery.img from droid-hal-yggdrasil-img-recovery-4.9.248-1.aarch64.rpm and I will test it.
https://repo.sailfishos.org/obs/nemo:/testing:/hw:/volla:/yggdrasil/sailfishos_4.3.0.12/aarch64/

I also want to increase the root partition of my Volla phone and downloaded the file
droid-hal-yggdrasil-img-recovery-4.9.248-1.aarch64.rpm .

What are the steps in detail I have to do?

Please utilise the maintained variant of my Guide: Installing Sailfish X on Xperias @ GitLab!

1. Download the RPM per web-browser, curl, pkcon download, wget etc.
  2. Either extract is content (e.g., per tar -xvf foo.rpm or rpm2cpio foo.rpm | cpio -idmv) or install it (e.g., per pkcon install-local foo.rpm), then locate the image file (an rpm -qilp foo.rpm hints where).
  3. Provide me with the output of the commands pvdisplay, vgdisplay and lvdisplay executed on the Volla phone on the regular SailfishOS installation and the exact Gigaset / Volla model used (AFAIR there are two Gigaset / Volla models supported by community builds of SailfishOS) .
  4. Determine how to trigger fastboot-mode on your Volla model, trigger it and perform a fastboot boot recovery.img on your host computer.

I will check, if the values provided in the section 3.3 ‘Increasing the “root” LVM volume size’ are fine for this model and recalculate them, if necessary.
Edit: Yes, they are for the Gigaset GS290 = the original Volla phone.

P.S.: @piggz may consider to set the root volume size to 4000 MByte (1000 * 4 MB extents, instead of 625 = 2500 MB), as Jolla already does it for the Xperia 10 II and III.
The mechanism for this is well described by these two commits:

4 Likes

Thank’s very much @olf ,
i’ve now downloaded the file ‘droid-hal-yggdrasil-img-recovery-4.9.248-1.aarch64.rpm’, extracted it and inside is a directory ‘boot’ and inside a file named ‘hybris-recovery.img’ . This folder and file are now on my laptop.

Here’s the output of the commands:

[root@VollaPhone defaultuser]# pvdisplay
  /dev/mmcblk0rpmb: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 0: Eingabe-/Ausgabefehler
  /dev/mmcblk0rpmb: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 16711680: Eingabe-/Ausgabefehler
  /dev/mmcblk0rpmb: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 16769024: Eingabe-/Ausgabefehler
  /dev/mmcblk0rpmb: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 4096: Eingabe-/Ausgabefehler
  --- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               /dev/mmcblk0p33
  VG Name               sailfish
  PV Size               53,02 GiB / not usable 2,98 MiB
  Allocatable           yes (but full)
  PE Size               4,00 MiB
  Total PE              13573
  Free PE               0
  Allocated PE          13573
  PV UUID               Ibrhmq-0d1r-vsKH-hBhI-RNUo-WLht-t4P5xi

[root@VollaPhone defaultuser]# 

[root@VollaPhone defaultuser]# vgdisplay
  --- Volume group ---
  VG Name               sailfish
  System ID             
  Format                lvm2
  Metadata Areas        1
  Metadata Sequence No  113
  VG Access             read/write
  VG Status             resizable
  MAX LV                0
  Cur LV                2
  Open LV               2
  Max PV                0
  Cur PV                1
  Act PV                1
  VG Size               <53,02 GiB
  PE Size               4,00 MiB
  Total PE              13573
  Alloc PE / Size       13573 / <53,02 GiB
  Free  PE / Size       0 / 0   
  VG UUID               OHUNSb-1x66-QWe2-qAKc-ySQ1-cT0E-yvH58k

[root@VollaPhone defaultuser]# lvdisplay
  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Path                /dev/sailfish/root
  LV Name                root
  VG Name                sailfish
  LV UUID                PxT1Mb-Z1NQ-UGCH-Efpe-Psho-67QK-YMF6Pi
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Creation host, time runner--azerasq-project-18092000-concurrent-0, 2022-02-19 20:30:14 +0000
  LV Status              available
  # open                 1
  LV Size                2,44 GiB
  Current LE             625
  Segments               2
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     auto
  - currently set to     256
  Block device           253:0

--- Logical volume ---
  LV Path                /dev/sailfish/home_open
  LV Name                home_open
  VG Name                sailfish
  LV UUID                zt6GMn-y04e-jKO7-XHHy-3WoW-2qGk-p7G4aj
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Creation host, time runner--azerasq-project-18092000-concurrent-0, 2022-02-19 20:30:14 +0000
  LV Status              available
  # open                 1
  LV Size                <50,58 GiB
  Current LE             12948
  Segments               2
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     auto
  - currently set to     256
  Block device           253:1

The Volla phone model is simply old Volla phone without X or 22.
edit: branded GS290
OS is SFOS 4.4.0.72
Geräteadaption 0.0.1+hybris.
17.20210903220301.4.gbf25

Where shall I copy the extracted files, or shall I repeat extracting directly on the phone using your given commands?
How shall I proceed?

edit: before the two bold ‘open 1’ is a # in the c+p’d terminal output and so the autoformatting of the forum software makes it bold and cuts the # . How can I mark this as code and prevent autoformatting?
edit: thank you @olf , done.

Enclose the whole code block with two “triple tics” (i.e., ```) lines.
It is the a Markdown markup-language dialect, Markdown is well documented at many places.

The LVM layout is exactly the same as for a Xperia model with 64 GB internal FLASH memory, hence you might use these values for resizing the root and home volumes.

Does that mean, “it is a Gigaset GS290-based Volla phone”?
BTW, I researched what the Volla 22 is, which hardware does the Volla X you mentioned use?

You have to fastboot that recovery image (step 4 above), as Jolla describes it for the Xperias.

1 Like

Thank you very much @olf !

Yes, my Volla is the branded GS290 type. Sorry for not clearly expressing this in my previous post.

So i will follow your suggestions and then report later about the results.

edit: it’s too complex for me…I fear to brick the Volla, thank you all !

@piggz, now I remembered that I once wrote a more comprehensive summary of these changes.

3 Likes

I wanted to try again and followed the guide at GitLab

chapter 3.3 .

At the second step I got this message:

andrea@andrea-Voom-Laptop-Max:~/SailfishVolla/IncreaseRootPartition/boot$ ls
hybris-recovery.img
andrea@andrea-Voom-Laptop-Max:~/SailfishVolla/IncreaseRootPartition/boot$ sudo fastboot boot hybris-recovery.img
[sudo] Passwort für andrea: 
Sending 'boot.img' (17524 KB)                      OKAY [  0.741s]
Booting                                            OKAY [  0.174s]
Finished. Total time: 1.020s
andrea@andrea-Voom-Laptop-Max:~/SailfishVolla/IncreaseRootPartition/boot$ sudo telnet 10.42.66.66
Trying 10.42.66.66...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: No route to host
andrea@andrea-Voom-Laptop-Max:~/SailfishVolla/IncreaseRootPartition/boot$ 

After the last error message the phone rebooted into normal mode.

What have I done wrong? What can I do now?

Mine always boots normally and waits for the encryption unlock code. To check this, ssh to 192.168.2.15 as defaultuser with the correct password and an incorrect one - the error messages are different.

I allowed root over ssh but this isn’t enough - the pam setttings would also need changing. Even if this worked the phone could continue booting after getting the unlock code, and mounted partitions can only be enlarged, not reduced.

This is about section 3.3.1, steps 1 to 5, correct?

What have I done wrong? What can I do now?

From your description you seem to have omitted step 4: Does the message appear?

If not, I assume step 1 or 2 are not correct. I notice that the boot image has a different name (appears to be the regular boot image), but I know nothing about how to boot a Volla / Gigaset phone reflashed to SailfishOS into recovery mode, because I do not own one. Maybe @poetaster or @piggz can provide an advice.

If only step 5 fails, take a look at the link there.

@Ahtisilli,

[…] mounted partitions can only be enlarged, not reduced.

This is correct, hence one has to boot into recovery mode to enlarge them, because then they are not mounted.

2 Likes

I am glad that you ultimately have successfully applied my guide.

As for the many similar questions, this is already answered in the guide. You may consider re-reading thoroughly before writing.

Unmount it by umount /dev/mapper/sailfish-root, but IMO it should not be mounted in the first place, because no step in the guide instructs to do so.

1 Like

No: If it ever booted, it should boot now.

Where is a newer one?

I have no Volla, hence no idea, thus I can only reiterate that something in step 1 or 2 of section 3.3.1 goes awry. As I failed to get the attention of the porter or others experienced in Volla / Gigaset phones, you may try again in posting with a single, concise question addressing this.

1 Like

Seven, mention @piggz when you have a question like that. I have a very old version, but have frozen my vollas/gs290s and 4.4 so have had no need to flash.

1 Like

I suggest you get out of write-only mode and read, think and try to understand before posting.

You want to get into recovery because you want to increase the size of the root partition. Why? Because everyone is doing it on old Sony phones.

You need the free space to update
xulrunner-qt5, it’s the only huge Sailfish package. So wait and deal with it when it happens. Someone will tell you to update it separately first or last, the 400 other packages will be fine, and use ncdu and mc to check for files that can be moved temporarily or deleted permanently.

Thanks very much @piggz for this port! Had a look on the linked page today and found only
droid-hal-yggdrasil-img-recovery-4.9.248-1.aarch64.rpm 16.9 MB over 1 year ago

Despite it’s shown in the list, there is no download option for the recovery image on the page. (also not for the boot image and the kernel, but the other files are downloadable)
https://build.sailfishos.org/package/show/nemo:testing:hw:volla:yggdrasil/droid-hal-yggdrasil
Does a newer recovery image exist somewhere, that works with Volla / SFOS 4.5.0.19 currently installed / last flash with 4.4.0.72?

# some of my previous looong and non-productive posts removed.

All these files are available in the corresponding download repository for 4.3.0.12: https://build.sailfishos.org/package/binaries/nemo:testing:hw:volla:yggdrasil/droid-hal-yggdrasil?repository=sailfishos_4.3.0.12

It just takes a bit of patience to look for it in OBS’ web-frontend and a few mouse clicks, as so often with OBS.

From there you can download https://repo.sailfishos.org/obs/nemo:/testing:/hw:/volla:/yggdrasil/sailfishos_4.3.0.12/aarch64/droid-hal-yggdrasil-img-recovery-4.9.248-1.aarch64.rpm as @bouleetbil34 already mentioned 1,5 years ago!

After downloading you need to extract the image proper from the RPM file.

As already stated, you do not need a newer recovery image!

P.S.: Note (as also stated before) that I do not own a Jolla / Gigaset phone, hence lack any practical experience with it.

1 Like

How can I do step 2 of the guide in the right way on Volla? There is no LED on the Volla.
Performing step 2 ‘blind’ (connecting the cable and release Vol-UP button after a few seconds) leads to nothing, normal boot or sometimes a dead Android. On computer’s CLI there is ‘< waiting for any device >’ and nothing happens.

@Seven.of.nine, you may follow @Ahtisilli’s advice:

Here specifically: Do use an internet search engine to find, e.g. (using the search terms Gigaset GS290 fastboot),

Actually Gigaset should provide this info, too (in case this third party site advises nonsense).