[How-to][Hardware] Fix XA2 GNSS(GPS): Let's Try harder

Indeed, I am sure it is. If there are electrical spring contacts pressing against it when installed then it has a purpose other than structural or cosmetic. I also note that the 3.5mm headphone jack passes through the metal top cap and the uppermost collet of a headphone plug (furthermost from the tip of the headphone plug) will likely come into contact with the metal cap itself when plugged in. The uppermost collet of a 3.5mm jack plug is always earth (ground), so that again reinforces the case that the top cap is a common earthing or ground point.

No, look: if you watch it closer, you will see the plastic collar coming from the underneath plastic frame. It prevents the jack from touching the top cap:
(not very well framed pic but I have no other…)
20220120_175414

I changed the screen of my XA2 and i lost my wifi and bluetooth signal due to the new housing. While trying to fix this, i removed all the small clips from tge back cover which connect to the housing. So my GPS was also gone. After soldering a wire to the gps antenna contact on the motherboard, everything was fine again. Got a fix in a few seconds(i use suplpatcher). But then my XA2 died because of a battery connector fault.

I used my old Xperia X with LineageOS and it showed the same behaviour, first time i wanted to use gps, it took more than 10 minutes to get a fix with over 30 satellites in sight.

If you want to test your gps you have to restart the phone for every new measurement if you haven’t changed your location or you will always get a fast fix.

Hi,
The fixed XA2 is still very efficient.
This would tend to show that the HW fix had a great influence.

So, after moving 600km away,
no GNSS use during travel,
Phones offline,
I had:

Xperia X:

Xperia XA2:

Conditions:
Phones side by side (uncalibrated compasses)
Approx 20% cloudy
In the city with very good sky view.

Very surprisingly and in contradiction with all readings,
the GNSS receivers were not in a cold start situation as they would have needed at least 12.5 minutes to have a first fix.
All documentations are saying that, among other things, moving more than 100km puts the device in a cold start condition. I am lost here…

Then, I made other tests, in a street with very poor sky view and in a train.
The X was even so better than the XA2, having few sats used but a fix where the XA2 didn’t.

But the most remarkable
The XA2 had up to 42 satellites (95% in red with probably zero reception) where the X had seen maybe 15, with more normal reception levels.
Does that confirm that there is an ephemeris update problem on the XA2?
Like if it would not be able to delete outdated ephemeris data?

2 Likes

I also noticed, when in cold star (days after last fix, or far for last fix), that satellites in view increase qucikly (20 to 30 secondes?) to about 20 satellites, without anyone in use, but after 15 to 20 seconds more, with about 35 to 40 sat in view, fix is ok.
Remember that we are dealing here with GNSS, not only GPS.
So, satellites are from GPS, Galileo, Beidoo aand also Glonass constellations.

Maybe there is a first issue with antena ant top cap, but also with the use of several constellations.

It would be interested to see if satellites in use just after the fix are all in the same constellation.

I believe they belong to several constellations.
Thanks to @dcaliste very interesting post in the big gps thread, we can see that.

Hi @ric9k
Are you saying that because there are GPGSV and GLGSV string in NMEA output?

I will try that as soon as I got time for that.

Yes. From what I read on wikipedia, this indicates to which constellation they belong.
Or, not?

Yes. If it starts with:

• GP = GPS
  • GL = GLONASS
  • GA = Galileo
  • GB = Beidou
  • GQ = QZSS regional GPS augmentation system (Japan)

GSV = satellites in view sentence

I was quite happy with the overall navigation performance of my XA2. But I didn’t use navigation for a few weeks was impressed that the first fix then took me more than half an hour, the second one some fifteen minutes after which everything seems to work good again.

Indeed, dirty contacts cause a long reception time of ephemeris which is needed for a cold start.
well…one theory between others…

After travelling 600km with no GNSS use, the GNSS receiver should be in a cold start state, theory says. Hence it’d need at least 12.5minutes to get a fix.
Mine needed less than 3 minutes IIRC. (GPSInfo says 21 seconds but sometimes stops counting before having a fix).
Anyways, too fast to fit with theory, so… I don’t know how it really works.

Try to open and clean yours! Who knows…

I think the theory says that full ephemeris (for the whole GPS constellation) requires 12.5 minutes minimum (read without lossing frames on reception). But actually four satellites are enough to get your position, if their ephemeris are received first, then you can get a fix in less than 12.5 minutes. At least that’s my understanding of the system ; )

1 Like

:man_facepalming:
Oh yes, so evident.
Thank you.
I thought the full ephemeris was necessary to even use some satellites.

Ok, I’m done. I was that guy.
I am not anymore.

For some three years I always used by XA2 for navigation nearly on a daily basis and told everyone that there were no serious problems with navigation if one gave it al little time and patience. First problems showed up a few weeks ago:

Last weekend I went on a tour with my car for some 300 km (200 mls) in a rural area with sunny weather and nearly no clouds visible. Navigation had degraded so much, that I had to take a turn at least three times. Back in the city things did not actually improve.

So on Monday I decided that my XA2 would return to Android and live on as my Idiot-Phone with Lineage and MicoG. (My old Samsung S4 will retire eventually).

Yesterday I flashed my new Xperia 10 III, restored my backups and I am totally i m p r e s s e d how much better GPS/Glonass/Beidou work here. Nearly instant fixes even in closed rooms (near windows, though) and an overall good user experience.

I will report how navigation will work once the XA2 is back on the dark side of the force.

1 Like

My impression is, GPS malfunction more depends of hardware than of SFOS. My last experiences with XA2 is more than 2,5 years ago, so no more relevant. But i can tell abt. X10 and Volla.

Time from switching GPS on & starting GPSInfo to valid position fix:

Sony: 50-60 sec.
Volla: 3-4 sec.

Conditions: rural area, in the house (small house), GPS not used before for a few weeks. SFOS 4.4.0.64 (X10 meanwhile updated to …68)

1 Like

Better for me not to try a 10III then.
Considering the global situation, I try not to consume more goods than I really need but I don’t know if I could resist when trying one.

But I have to say my XA2 really works good after the hw repair. GNSS fix generally happens within the first minute. Sometimes within 2, rarely 3 minuges. Since approx 2 month now.
Especially cool since one month, I am travelling, no probs.

2 Likes

Good idea @ric9k , mee too. Sometimes here in the forum there’s a used X10 ii or iii for sale.

Your are right. As long as the fix works there is literally no reason to give up on a good XA2.
I will try the XA2 with Lineage, then maybe fix the antennas. I needed a replacement for the Samsung S4 anyway.

I second that. Degradation came suddenly over a few weeks and my GPS did a great job over three years in many countries in Europe before.

1 Like

On August, the first I did reflash my XA2 after navigation failed me pretty often and pretty fast after the first signs of degradation.

My new 10III does a much better job. No surprise.

But my old XA2 now with Lineage 19.1 and MindtheGAPPS suddenly appears to be navigating again with some success. I only tried inner city areas with good coverage and lots of networks but the combined navigation in Android with phone cell and WiFi triangulation sure takes a lot of the pain away.

I will do some tests in rural areas and see what happens there.

Edit:

And after a trip on the German Autobahn, where cell coverage is pretty good, navigation still works on the XA2, Lineage 19.1.

1 Like