GPS stopped working

I wanted to reinstall gpsinfo, but I can’t install anything from storeman because I am not able to activate any repositories after having installed this version of storeman:

Usually you enable a repository from the pulley, but there is no pulley in this version.

EDIT: starting storeman from the shell rather than from the desktop presented me with a prompt to enter my security code and then I could add/refresh repositories. I reinstalled gpsinfo but still the gps does not work.

1 Like

The beta release of SFOS 4.4 replaces your modified gps.conf file so you need to backup or re-enable SUPL by modifying host and port.

I’m using europe NTP pool (uncommented in gps.conf), changed SUPL host and port, other values unmodified. SFOS GPS configuration “high precision” selected.

The QCOM modem settings are non-volatile, i.e. once you patched your modem’s setting with suplpatcher to use non-secure SUPL it should stay that way even after an OS update (modem land is not modified by Jolla usually).

That being said for a test I cleared my almanc and ephimeris data from the modem’s cache directory, rebooted the device (Xperia X) and started a new GPS session. Once the almanac (XTRA) data, NTP time and a rough offline MLS position was injected I got a fix within approx. 15 seconds indoors which means to me that SUPL still works after the OS update.

However days before the update (March 14th - 15th roundabout) SUPL wasn’t working for me, too for a reason unknown. Maybe XTRA servers, NTP or Google’s SUPL wasn’t sending data so I had to wait much longer than usual (like with SUPL not working, I did also reboot device to free any modem in-memory cache). It eventually resumed on March 16th.

TLDR; With 4.4 SUPL is still working fine (once patched).

1 Like

I did realize that. So to sum up, the settings in gps.conf should be:

NTP_SERVER=europe.pool.ntp.org
SUPL_HOST=supl.google.com
SUPL_PORT=7276

I have run ./suplpatcher --disable

I have enabled high precision location

I believe those were the settings I had before when it worked so well. Now, it does not work.

Where is the modem’s cache directory?

It’s an internal directory on the SoC’s EFS (embedded file system) where modem and GPS stuff is stored and can’t be mounted inside the OS. Usually Android API allows for clearing the almanac and ephemeris data in an API-like way so doing this manually is not recommended, only this was just for a quick and dirty test in the end (you need special tools and drivers to access EFS).

SUPL host requests can be proxied to check if modem is connecting to the given domain.

Your settings are the same as for me. It’s important that your device is using a valid SIM card and GPRS (data connection) is up and running. SFOS geoclue provider will check for the data connection or else will fail to setup SUPL (i.e. injecting XTRA and SUPL host).

Eureka!, I started gpsinfo from the shell and then it works again! It seems that I have to start everything from the shell now in order to have it work. It is the same thing with storeman. This is odd, maybe someone could investigate this?

1 Like

Hey there all

Quick question, how is GPS working on Xperia 10 II? Will this google fix works as well?
I’ve got my hands on like a new 10 II and I will be switching to it as it is faster than my current XA2.
And also I have a free spare licence sitting around :slight_smile:

I have used XA2 Ultra for two years and Xperia 10 II for eight months. The difference is huge as it takes seldom over one minute or two for the 10 II to get a fix (and it does it reliably, too). I have downloded the local Positioning packages from Jolla Store. As far as I understand the google fix isn’t needed on 10 II. Please correct me, if I am wrong.

Can someone tell something more about gps expirience on Xperia 10 II?

For me GPS in Xperia 10ii has always worked fine and I get location within one minute. It is no AGPS but hundred times better than XA2 which once got fix after one hour.
I even get accurate fix indoors near window but it takes a few minutes.
I have installed Mozilla offline package for my region.

1 Like

SuplPatcher was tested with all Xperia X devices, i.e. you can turn off secure SUPL modem setting with the patcher on Xperia X, XA2, 10 I and 10 II. For 10 III we have to wait and see but possibly suplpatcher must be updated because of modified diag bindings.

Regarding Xperia 10 III vs Xperia 10 II: The SnapDragon 690 SoC used in the former device has support for dual frequency GPS (https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon-690-5g-mobile-platform, Is dual-band a GPS superpower?. New dual-band GPS/GNSS technology… | by Mike Horton | Medium). In theory position accuracy should improve 2x if dual-frequency GNSS will be used by the receiver.

2 Likes

I must say Im really pleased with GPS on Xperia 10 II.
I didn’t apply any of the fixes mentioned before and fix comes within 30 seconds outside, but most of the time it really needs few seconds. High precision settings only.

I start to think that afterall maybe XA2 have some hardware issue that Android is able to bypass and Sailfish is not. Or software on gps level for XA2 and 10 II is very different. Im no expert but if there is really some issue with XA2 GPS subsystem it can and it should be fixed as android have no problems with GPS on that device.

I remember gps was good for the first few days when I got my XA2 with sailfish. I will be able to test that again as my XA2 is piece of crap and I will be replecing most of it’s insides including the motherboard

Jolla announced today in its official blog the new 4.4 Vanha Rauma.
Also, we can read:
"Special thanks go to Michał Szczepaniak for his excellent contributions to improving the location accuracy when GNSS (e.g. GPS) is used. "
Is this related to the GPS issue discussed here or is it something else?
I’s say it is more about precision improvements than about OS-chip communication fixes. Or?

2 Likes

I marauded through the mer-hybris repository and found this:

This has nothing to do with the MLS nor SUPL certificate injection issue we discussed here previously but seems to be a QML binding bug turning accuracy readings into NaN.

4 Likes

Hi @nekron, thank you for having taken time to maraud and explain. It is clear now.

FIXED for Xperia X.
I simply deleted Sailfish 4.x and did a clean reinstall of 3.4 now I get a GPS fix within a few minutes which is acceptable and MUCH better than the 20+ minutes in 4.x. It doesn’t matter what settigns it just works. Sound, network, bluetooth, etc also work. Win/win.

1 Like

There’s still a bug in SF 4.4 (at least here) which sometimes causes GPS on XA2 to never get a lock ie nothing after 30 mins.
Resetting via GPSinfo took the normal 12 mins for the Almanac – phone was in exact same place.

I asked direc85 if we can have Almanac status displayed in GPSinfo. It would also be sane to have a popup briefly explain the Almanac on the on the first use of Location.

Also, why isn’t GPSinfo incorporated into Sailfish since GPS doesn’t really work without it?

Edit: Sorry, Alan. Typo.

GPS does work with Sailfish, it’s the XA2 for some reason that has the problem

1 Like

I did some 2.000 km of car navigation with my XA2 since March. I must do something terribly wrong. It works. I am not trying to get a fix in a building staring at GPS Info, though. I go out an navigate.
Maybe my XA2 is different. (I use SF for car navigation since 2017 with Xperia X and XA2.)

1 Like