GPS stopped working

When I look back at the old days when we used a Garmin GPS12 it took ages as well to collect almanac data after a cold boot. I’d speculate that our GPS (or it’s firmware) fails to store it’s almanac data and needs to collect it again from the sky.

It’s still a great device, the screen of the (first) Psion 5 was bad, however the OS and the apps were great. If you remember how well navigation with external GPS worked on a device with just 20 MHz clock.
[sorry for beeing off topic and sendimental/]

1 Like

Actually it was me who started the Psion off-topic side-bar, so I’m waiting to be flagged now :wink:

2 Likes

Ok, the behaviour was slightly different. Instead of getting the ‘wrong’ (i.e. not right, but nearby within a mile or so) location quickly within a few seconds, as I was walking across the fields it was just stuck at the last location where I used GPS (at home, using pure maps to test this yesterday against my Android XA2) for about half an hour before it picked up the correct location.

So yes faster than an hour or never, but still in excess of 30 mins so not really usable. Thanks for the suggestion though.

2 Likes

I think jollajo was suggesting trying that with the XA2 running Android. If I understand correctly his hypothesis is that without “online position lock” activated the Android XA2 will be as bad/useless as the Sailfish XA2

2 Likes

Oops, yes, I see than now. My mistake for not having read @jollajo 's post properly. I’ve had a look at my Android XA2, and in settings the only thing that looks relevant is ‘Google Location Accuracy’. I’ll try turning that off and see what happens.

OK, it took 3 minutes to get a cold start lock (its a couple of weeks since I last switched the Android XA2 on) from being ‘nowhere’ (just a map of the world shown in Google maps) to a zoomed in setting of my house, on my road on the South Coast of England instead of a few seconds. So definitely slower, but still in a different league to how long it takes Sailfish.

And what I don’t understand is

if that is the case then surely the lack of Mozilla online position lock availability in Sailfish would affect GPS performance on all Sailfish phones, not just the XA2?

Which then brings me back to the fact that it must be something to do with the way that Sailfish interfaces to the XA2 firmware, low level binaries or whatever, rather than a hardware design fault or individual hardware failure. And the problem is obviously more pronounced for ‘cold start’ locks as those who use GPS regularly, or keep GPSInfo loaded, don’t appear to have such severe problems.

Ij Jolla can’t fix this (and it doesn’t seem like they can, or not easily) could a solution, or workaround really, be for Sailfish to provide an selectable option to regularly, occasionally, ‘wake up’ GPS, get a lock, and then send it back to sleep again? OK, so there would be a hit on battery capacity I guess, but if it worked it might make GPS on XA2 more usable for occasional users when they need it?

1 Like

I’m guessing there are at least 2 GPS problems with Sailfish on the XA2 not including yours. I have little doubt I’ve encountered a bug as outlined above. I have never had another problem on my XA2 bar the MLS thing.
I’m thinking of reverting to 4.01 with MLS Manager but it will involve a reinstall. If I do that, I will try Verla first.

I presume the XA2 uses the Android GPS blobs. The XA2 may be heavily reliant on Mozilla services or equivalent. A ‘fallback service’ may be bugged/weak. Your test disabling online position lock is important.
Is it possible that Jolla’s version of MLS Manager doesn’t work as well as the latter?

You seem to have far more problems with your XA2 than anyone else. Have you tried reinstalling?

Thanks @AlanBreen for picking up on my thoughts. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks @Steve_Everett for your efforts.

I’m wondering if booting your Android XA2 and disabling Google’s Location Accuracy was enough for the phone to get the position hint from Google. In that case your test wouldn’t be a cold boot as it may had already grabbed assistance data. However I’m just speculating.

I reactivated my old JollaC and testet GPS there. This comes with an option “HERE GPS assistance - Faster position fix” in addition to Mozillas online and offline location services.
With HERE support GPS lock was instant.
After that I switched off the phone moved to another city ~250 km way and two days later it takes around 5-10 seconds to get a lock with HERE disabled and Mozilla online and offline support enabled.

So GPS on JollaC is fine, XA2 is :face_vomiting:

1 Like

Why does it also happen on the Xperia X too as has been mentioned by several above.
It’s not just an XA problem.

In my experience the Xperia X does not have the same problem the XA2 has. My X gets a GPS lock within a matter of minutes or less and it’s not using MLS location as it doesn’t have a sim card.

Whereas the XA2 struggles to get a lock on even after 30 minutes or more. Once it’s has a lock on it is OK but some days it just refuses to lock on.

1 Like

Ok, good for you, but others including myself have this issue using an X, please read above when you entered the conversation.
Just because you have one phone without the issue doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist for other users. Many have working XA’s too, does that discount that yours isn’t working?

If you take a look you will see I have been in this conversation since October 2020. I have been following and contributing since that time to this thread.

While there is an occasional mention of other devices the one device that nearly all posts are about is the XA2. The thread was started by someone complaining about the GPS functionality of the XA2 and the thread has pretty well focused on that one device.

I stand by my comment that the XA2 is much more crippled by this problem than the X

5 Likes

My XA2 is also affected by this.
The quality of the satellite signals (for me) is always very good. I have at least 7 satellites with very good signal.
What takes a long time is the GPS fix.
Why this is so, no one could answer yet. sometimes the fix is within a minute and then again 30 minutes nothing.
If the GPS fix is there, then it runs stable. Even after driving through tunnels, the fix comes very quickly.

2 Likes

What bothers me the most (besides the bad GPS) is that there is no communication from Jolla.
With the “5 GHZ WLAN problem”, we were told almost a year ago that we were investigating it. Until then, please use the binary V16.
Even if there is no progress at the moment, information about this would be very nice. At least you know that the problem has not been forgotten.
The same goes for the GPS.

So I had to get rid of that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The only real issue with my X10II is the edge swipe being super precise, so I’ve been wanting to switch back to XA2U. But then I remember the GPS issue and bite my tongue a little harder…

1 Like

Off topic, but a quick reply. The edge swiping is a problem on the XA2 as well. I think it’s a general SFOS issue which started with one of the updates.

4 Likes

Also off topic, but I have trouble with edge swipe on Xperia X, at least since 4.2 Verla. The release notes thread for Verla has a number of complaints about this:

Since things improved a lot in 3.02 and recently degraded, I’m sure this can be fixed again. Hoping for 4.4 :slight_smile: ! [Edit typo in release number]

1 Like

I’m not sure if a bug report thread should be opened for this one. But it is definitely one small, annoyingly frustrating big bug!
I had immediately noticed it after installing the 4.2 update, reported it in its release notes thread, and confirmed by a few others.
Unsurprisingly, not a single comment, or any kind of acknowledgment, was posted there by any of Jolla’s sailors.
Personally, this still occurs constantly on my XA2, and it’s very annoying to be missed
So, it’s definitely not hard to get noticed by Jolla.
But then again… 4.3 came out… And still, there’s no mention of it whatsoever

1 Like

I asked about this in November’s community meeting but got no answer, I think it got overlooked somehow.