[German locale]: A new style guide

anhalten is IMHO very good for the alarm clock context, ausblenden less good but better than verwerfen.

1 Like

Verwerfen would be “to discard” which I see quite often in software.
“Stop” should be spelled “Stopp”.

1 Like

Verwerfen is absolutely OK for discard, but not for turning off an alarm clock. Nobody in Germany and Austria would say so.
Yes, new orthography is Stopp…

1 Like

It seems we’ll get some more control about snoozing of alarms with the next update.
I have changed the translation from Anhalten (stop) to Beenden (quit). To stop the alarm ringing and/or stop the snooze the pulley menu now says that instead.

2 Likes

Also, I’d like to know what to do about the Oops strings.
Please vote for what we should do:

How to translate Oops in error messages
  • Translate it with Ups!
  • Use ‘Hoppla!
  • Use Oh!
  • Translate it with phrases containing ‘leider
  • Drop it. Strings like ‘Oops. Could not load’ will be treated as ‘Could not load

0 voters

3 Likes

We could also offer a really nice
‘Ui, ui, ui…’ or ‘Hoppala’ :wink:

But I do hate that ‘Oops, something happened’ Win… message style.
So I personally prefer a simple ‘leider’.

3 Likes

Sorry. I realized this is wrong. Got confused about the context of these new strings.
Original labels for the pulleys on alarms and calendar reminders stay as they are. Instead, there’ll be some sort if buttons im the event view now. See here for more details

1 Like

I agree absolutely with the suggestions that are made here. It took me one year to find out that if I was looking for a downloaded file, I could just find it in settings “Übertragungen” what means to me a transfer. Please call it “Downloads”. That is the common phrase in German. If it must be a native German word call it “Heruntergeladen”

1 Like

It may not be obvious at first, but “Übertragungen” is correct in this case. The page shows both uploads and downloads, i.e. transfers in both directions.

1 Like

have found obe thing i opening post:

mms Nachricht ist zum herunterladen bereit
instead of … ist bereit zum herunterladen?

regarding the text after removing charger:
"zwecks stromsparens Stecker aus der Steckdose ziehen " or something like that. the current text is kind of long and non german, but i have not really watched if it might have changed yet :wink: i don’t watch it^^
hmpf, most phrases i do not really recognize, its just some text and its far away from phrases in the past like
kellerspeicherüberlauf or
kein Weltraum links auf dem Gerät :wink:

3 Likes

The string for the disconnected charger message can be found here. Nothing wrong with that if you ask me.

„Zieh” is not the correct form of the imperative singular of „ziehen”. It should be „Ziehe”. The word „heraus” is not necessary. But all in all the phrase is ok.

That’s correct. Translation fixed.

1 Like

Browser Tab

So, do we call this a “Browser Tab” or a “Browser Reiter”?
Past translations seem to use Tab, but Reiter is a perfectly cromulent translation.
OTOH Tab is nice because it’s so short, good in UI components.

1 Like

I would vote for TAB which is also found sometimes in German Kreuzworträtsel.
Of course REITER (not a rider :wink: )s correctly translated but who uses this nowadays? (maybe some local government offices)

1 Like

Tab sounds good in German and English words are well accepted compared to other languages such as French. If you look at Wikipedia, there are 3 words : Registerkarte, Tab or Reiter.

1 Like

I agree, Tab is OK in German.
Reiter is too long for such a small screen. Browser Reiter is funny!!!

1 Like

What have I to do to make this error message appear on my phone?
I really would like to see this!

or nothing like this, simply what happened.

Well I guess you could make your own “Denglisch” translation language and put stuff like this in there.

People have done it in the past (for proper languages).

1 Like