Gecko esr91 work (former "Flypig's gecko dev diary")

I tried on Gemini PDA, Sailfish 4.6, ended with error installing ESR 91 packages. This

Prerequisites
1. A Sailfish OS phone running 4.6 (Sauna).

probably valid to aarch64 only, right?.

4 Likes

Thanks for publishing this test version for 64 bit devices. It is possible to get a 32 bit release too?

6 Likes

Many thank you for the work :slight_smile:

32 bit would be awesome by the way :slight_smile:

5 Likes

First of all thank you very much, there are more pages working again, that weren’t working on esr78, than the other way round. I can at least find 4 i used to use regularly and now can use again. Nevertheless there is one page which worked with esr78, but does not with esr91, which is also with a map, but google maps works better now strangely and this is this page: RegenRadar interaktiv - WetterOnline

1 Like

I double that. One of the quirks I mentioned is in fact http://www.wetteronline.de. The page loads as in desktop mode and if you request a weather map the browser crashes eventually. When I get my hands on a physical keyboard I’ll create an issue at sailfish-browser

2 Likes

Maybe we just need to change the user agent string, but this would be a dirty fix

3 Likes

I initially thought I would wait patiently because that would somehow be the ‘right thing’. But just a couple of days ago, some page I frequently browse changed a bit and didn’t work with old browser version any more.

Knowing the common risks related to any experimental software (may break my device, might eat my dog, maybe even drink all my beers), I tried the steps to install the esr91 packages.

Although I, like many others, have followed the diary since the beginning, I haven’t yet interacted in any way (except sometimes liking some awesome posts on this thread). So I’d also like to use this opportunity to thank @flypig (et al.) for the awesome work, interesting and nicely written dev diary, and well-documented steps for installing the new version. So far feels like a very nice improvement, everything seems a little bit better, the sun shines a little bit brighter, and the page I was interested in works again. I’ll always remember the SFOS day I first tried esr91.

17 Likes

I tried it on the Pinetab 2, where it crashed immediately, and on the Xperia 10II, where it worked fine.
Thank you for your work!

1 Like

Great work @flypig, thank you and all other people that you make a new browser happend on my Xperia 10 III.
I followed the guide and until now I have no issues, in general it works very well!

2 Likes

Wow! The performance on scrolling is just something else! The FPS is pegged - and now i understand all the talk about 90 and 120Hz on the 'droid side. GitHub is back to working :slight_smile:

Two minor adjustments additions to the install guide:

• The cp command needs a -r
  • I channelled my inner @olf and used pkcon install-local instead of rpm -U --force to have some more chances to pick up on if the system thinks i’m breaking it.
10 Likes

Hmm pegged - to avoid battery draining?

How much is the FPS? 25? could bump it to 30, that would improve things alot already…

PS do the provided packages work on XPeria 10 II as well (I assume so but just in case triple-checking)?

1 Like

I’m using on a X10-II since yesterday. There are some issues, but nothing problematic.

2 Likes

You misunderstand. Pegged up against the maximum determined by the refresh rate of the display - as in 60 FPS solidly.

5 Likes

Okay that sounds more reasonable :slight_smile:
PS: down the rabbit hole we go - even on android side?

1 Like

What does this have to do with the new browser engine?

1 Like

Not much, but with the FPS :stuck_out_tongue: /ducks

1 Like

Huge thank you @flypig ! We’re all in your debt now.
Some websites that used to show up in mobileview before are now showing the desktop version and the browser did not crash while scrolling an article on the guardian.

2 Likes

PS @flypig the backup is implied in the restoration of the old version of the sailfishos-browser,
but not given as a step in the ESR92 setup #justsaying #nitpicking

1 Like

Wow!!, I rarely used the browser as it was, but took the plunge and installed the latest offering, thanks for the nice, clean, easy instructions, it’s always appreciated.

The few pages I’ve looked at loaded very quickly, scrolling down some image intensive pages was fast and has not yet crashed the browser back to its cover. Really nice!, a stark contrast to the previous version of sailfish-browser. I have a 3 hour break coming this afternoon, time to surf using this magical and fantastical new browser.

Thank you @flypig - genuinely!, what an advancement!!, I feel more inclined now to use my phone for browsing instead of waiting until I get home and using my PC.

9 Likes

Finally! Browsing the web on Sailfish is fun again.
A big hurray for @flypig and all who helped. Thank you very much for your efforts.

5 Likes