Funding new development with EU grants

And just to add more stress to my post-employment life (!) https://prototypefund.de/ is opening up the next round for grant proposals next week. That’s restricted to people living in Germany, I believe.

2 Likes

Apologies, I did not have time to comment a lot on this. I am switching jobs and interviewing takes a lot of time, plus travel. Nonetheless, I skimmed through your proposal and it looked very cool. I hope you get funded! Keep us posted.

No worries! Good luck with the job switch! I’m also unemployed at the moment and trying to use the time constructively!

Since another round of NLnet grant was opened (NGI0), i think it would be nice to gather here some ideas that can be funded. Next deadline is August 1st. In addition, I stumped upon a video where NLnet themself want to support Sailfish (36C3 - NGI Zero: A treasure trove of IT innovation - Invidious - 58:50).

At the Sailmates association we started collecting ideas that could be funded: Issues - boards - Codeberg.org but would be great if others here have additional ideas.

Since one can apply for multiple grants at the same time (NLnet; Frequently Asked (and/or Anticipated) Questions) there is no need to focus only on one topic.

To make it easier for applying (the Sailmates association being able to apply if you don’t wish to do so as an individual) I recommend answering the following questions, just like those bug reports to Jolla:

• project name
  • description of the whole project and expected outcomes
  • how would the grant budget be used ? (max budget 50k€)
  • comparison with historical similar efforts
  • technical challenges one might face
  • ecosystem of the project (how to engage with relevant actors and promote outcomes)

I found an example of an application getting to the second round: #4 - NLNet - December 1st 2022 application (UI/UX) - sustainability - Codeberg.org that we could inspire ourselfs from.

BTW, maybe @hildon can change the title and remove the “deadlines soon” since it’s a cycle and if projects are not funded this time they might get it next time.

3 Likes

Apologies, but I couldn’t figure out how to edit the title. Is this still possible for an old thread?

There is yet another opening from NLnet / NGI, which this time is targeting ethical mobile software. Deadline to apply is Apr 1st at 12:00 CET.

I think this is really spot on to fund further development of any open Sailfish component or application! The call mentions F-Droid and some open Android components, but this is by no means excluding other efforts, and I think one could easily make the case for Sailfish.

Conditions are as usual, in principle maximum €50,000 per project, with the possibility to scale it up later on. They also offer the possibility of applying with several small projects coordinated under the umbrella of a larger effort.

Personally, I think this is a cool opportunity to send a little swarm of applications and try to revive Sailfish a bit, which seems to be languishing.

7 Likes

Ah, it looks like @vlagged is doing an application in the Sailmates context for an FP5 port. SailfishOS on Fairphone5 application | Sailmates

I think we’d by very happy for contributions of ideas, etc …

8 Likes

Thanks @poetaster ,
You can comment on codeberg #47 - initial sfos-fp5 application - sailmates/website - Codeberg.org

LE: application posted

3 Likes