Flypig's gecko dev diary

They’re here on the forum. But nowhere near your clarity. I did used them to get back to where I made some decision or skipped resolving a problem. Or really just remembering a command.
I am linking to them just so you notice the pace change of the dates, or the taking of breaks:)

4 Likes

Is there really no way to test your code earlier? Always starting a full build and effectively waiting a day is immense painful.
I would have hoped there is a way to build a smaller chunk only that is way faster.

(I already feel massively crippled if my code-unittest cycle is longer than 60s. )

4 Likes

You raise a good point @thigg. I am doing incremental builds which are quicker than full builds, but as you can tell from my diary they can still take a while to run. I should probably be using partial builds more effectively. This has always been one of the challenging aspects of gecko development.

3 Likes

Today will be day 40! Thanks for doing this journey and writing about this!

9 Likes

Thanks for following along @thigg! You’re right, it’s day 40, but it’s not yet reached the end of Stage 1 (of 3) yet, so no stopping any time soon!

6 Likes

I hope your burnout detector is still running very well. If you take time off, do it with a feeling of great accomplishment please!

I am impressed by the work you’re doing besides your daily work. (and very glad you are writing about it)

7 Likes

I have one tiny suggestion for the blog. Always thought it was problem with esr78, but even on desktop some lines don’t fit in the code blocks (or maybe they do in 4k?), I would suggest changing pre’s white-space to ‘break-spaces’ in bokeh.css, seems to preserve the rest of formatting while also wrapping the super long ones (at least on desktop, not sure how to test on phone). Thanks a ton for the daily read!

3 Likes

Thanks for suggesting this @throwaway69, it’s a nice idea. I try to break lines at 80 characters in all the preformatted blocks, but that’s still way too wide on smaller displays.

After making this change I’m a bit concerned that things may look a bit messy, but let’s see how it goes.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for this work flypig :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I might’ve not thought that through, in portrait this could extend all code blocks by quite a bit if it ends up applying to each row (or most)… I’ll try to find a way to test some options on-device
Edit: maybe keeping the previous option as was and just adding: overflow-x: auto, overflow-y: hidden; will do the trick, this generates scrollbar for boxes that have long lines without extending them unnecessarily

3 Likes

@flypig Congratulations! I’ll celebrate with you today!
please think about if there is anything we can help you with on the next stages :slight_smile:

8 Likes

To illustrate the process:

(created with bing&dall-e with “A pig with wings dressed as a doctor fixing the limb of a gecko with a bandage on a surgery table. Comic style”)
… Did i specify pig without legs…?

31 Likes

One heart is not enugh!

:heart: :orange_heart: :yellow_heart: :green_heart: :blue_heart: :purple_heart:

I hope the mascot inspires @flypig to even higher and loftier achievements!

4 Likes

Oh wow, I agree with @ohnonot, this deserves waaay more than just the one heart I’m allowed to give! I think I’m going to have to print this out to put on my wall :grin: Thank you @thigg, this is so great!

As for the offer to help, Stage 2 has some parallel pieces so I’m going to put some issues up on the sailfish-browser git repo this week. It would be wonderful if others are able to get involved with them.

22 Likes

I jumped out of my chair from excitement when I saw you got the browser to run and load pages! Keep up the good work, I love reading through your daily posts (but make sure you don’t overdo it please!)

6 Likes

While the shorthand to enable C++17 doesn’t seem to work, you can still use QMAKE_CXXFLAGS += -std=c++17.

3 Likes

And I love the feedback; thank you! I appreciate the advice too, which I really buy into. It’s just been small steps every day, no pressure, keeping it manageable.

Is this in relation to the moc being unhappy about non-nested namespaces from C++17? Does using QMAKE_CXXFLAGS += -std=c++17 work around (fix) this particular issue? Either way you make a good point (if I’m understanding correctly) that most C++17 code seems to be just fine.

1 Like

Yes. Sorry for mobile-initiated brevity.
Well, i just trusted and agreed with your judgement in it looking like C++17-related. No further digging was done. (And this works for me to ebable it).

1 Like

You could also try to hide this header from moc by something like

#ifndef Q_MOC_RUN
#include <mozilla/modern stuff>
#endif

https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/moc.html

This could save you one patch against gecko

3 Likes

I just read the day five-oh of the gecko blog. Congratulations for reaching one more milestone for the project - and a big one! (As as developer, I recently managed to finally push some parts of my project to production, so I know the amount of excitement first hand!)

But now it’s late Friday, so let’s just enjoy the weekend! :grin:

2 Likes