Flypig's gecko dev diary

It is really fun to read your experience and to see how everyone tries to participate :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Just a general question, regarding the very high number of patches. Would it make sense to bring them upstream?

1 Like

You can maybe eek out one or two that can be upstreamed (and some are already picked from upstream), and another handful that when reworked will make things easier. But the whole point of the series is to bring back something that was actively dropped. Add to that, that upstreaming (what little you could) will start paying off in maybe 3-4 uplift cycles.

It would of course be very cool if Mozilla wanted these embed bindings back more or less as a whole. Seems that they don’t, especially not without a more active community behind them.

3 Likes

Since firefox runs on pretty much anything (???) modern doesn’t it make sense for mozilla to drop them?
I mean if we had a modern compositor we could have firefox and only need to modify the UI to fit the SFOS paradigm.

2 Likes

I can certainly see both sides. What you say is true; but actual proper, somewhat generic, embed-bindings are also very nice to have. Webkit has gained a lot of reach from theirs, and afaik, Blink keeps them. Oh, and Mozilla maintains specific ones for at least Android because evidently it isn’t enough for everything.

Also; i did not know it was a no-go for compositor reasons… got a source for that?

3 Likes

I think its been mentioned many times in the forums.

Also → Xwayland packages for Sailfish OS - #7 by artur

3 Likes

Right; but i have only ever seen it from people that aren’t actually involved - and it has looked a lot like speculation.
I’m not sure i’d directly equate lack of X-compatibility with being old/primitive/…, even if probably technically true in this case. Whatever needs it (if that’s what you are saying?) has a share in the problems.

Edit: oh, that’s what you linked to. Big screen does not do a good job of focusing you on a post near the end. In that case - they are still unreasonably hipster.

1 Like

I linked arturs answer about an interface that Firefox needs and its not even present in 5.15. (or tried to in case i screwed something up).

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for all of your kind comments.

Thanks for the advice and no need to apologise, it’s always good to get feedback. Could you share some links where you consider it to be done well (the news sites you mentioned)?

That’s a really nice idea. It’s not quite a single digit check, but you’re along the right lines. Check the latest post for more on this.

Yes, that’s a nice summary @attah and fits my understanding of the situation too.

12 Likes

"Only" modify the UI

carefull there with putting your hands on the cutting board :wink:

I mean if we had a modern compositor we could have firefox and only need to modify the UI to fit the SFOS paradigm.

So firefox is not running on evertyhing / wayland? That’s surprising. Perhaps the wayland protocol on SFOS is old?

The questionmarks on the original comment denote that i am not 100% sure. Firefox wayland requires stuff our compositor doesn’t have. Thats a given. We need a new compositor (among many new things we need) AND most importantly newer QT. Or a new toolkit.

Our wayland version is recent enough i think but thats not the problem.

1 Like

So extensions to lipstick / functionality? Is there a valid reference baseline avilable somewhere? Mir?

So nice to read. Thank you for taking this herculean task upon your shoulders!

1 Like

Mir is another display server (and can work as a wayland compositor). Its a canonical thing and we don’t need it.

Without me having any technical knowledge what i know/read is that we need is a new compositor that supports all the latest wayland protocols and this can only be done with a newer Qt. I also seem to recall that one of the jolla devs mentioned -maybe in a meeting- that newer Qt isn’t needed but didn’t elaborated more.

If what i say isn’t correct and anyone know whats exactly is needed PLEASE tell. As i said i have no knowledge of the SW stack. What i write is what i read.

1 Like

@ApB no worries, im the first one to be totally N00b on this one :smiley:
Easier to use the search, Luke ! :slight_smile:

take it straight from the fox’es mouth:

at first read, three wayland-related things seem to be mentioned here:

• clipboard
  • popups
  • dpi handling on edge-cases (less relevant perhaps as we dont move windows on sfos)

so popups are the main requirement here.
Could it be wayland sub-surfaces? I recall lipstick dont support those. But then again, these are client-side…i.e. the whole management of the popups that is mentioned is handled by firefox. Or at least thats what my brain envisions after reading this. If that’s the case, completing the support for whatever is required by forefox on the wayland protocol on the compositor side should suffice to get it up and running…

On the other hand, how big of a task that is remains a question.

At least on the gtk side, they “glue” in some missing interfaces…

EDIT: im sorry I just now realized this might be off-topic :astonished:
please let me know if youd wish me to move this away from here!

1 Like

Hey, is it possible to remove alert() on no webgl available?

I’m sorry, I forgot to disable the debugging; It should be removed now.

1 Like

@flypig i often found that journaling during work changes a lot how i approach a problem. I guess you are not writing everyday like this about what you’re doing. How does it affect you?

(i look forward for your post every day, they are a pleasure to read :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would like to say thank you for the efforts.
I’m just using only the Jolla-Browser from the beginning of my SailfishOS-Odysse since Nov’21 for my daily surfing, and it pleased me quite good.

On 9gag.com i have the issue, when opening a meme the comments below were not loaded until i hit the reload-button. But this worked before so i guess 9gag.com change something in their code who didn´t file up with ESR78 anymore.

1 Like

Such a good question @thigg! I usually take notes, but this is my first experience writing them up. The gecko build process generates so much console output that relying on console/screen history alone just doesn’t work.

My main takeaways are:

1. Even though I know nobody would mind if I didn’t, the fact I’ve committed to posting every day makes me much more disciplined about finding time to work on it.
  2. Keeping notes really has made things easier: I’m constantly referring back to things and actually finding them, rather than failing to find things in my console/bash history (which is what usually happens!).
  3. I’ve not noticed any downsides yet. I’m not working to a deadline though; if I was maybe I’d find it too onerous.
  4. The feedback from the community has been genuinely wonderful and properly motivational (thank you!).

I’d love to hear about your experiences with journaling @thigg (or indeed anyone else who’s tried it!).
[Edited to add 4]

10 Likes