Disable message on unplugging the charger

The strings may be in a binary language resource file and accessed by code or name. Search in binaries too.

1 Like

usr/share/translations

Look at all files " * -de.dm"

1 Like

I changed the value to 1, and it comes and goes much quicker…

1 Like

Correct, as @4carlos said.
Check

cat /usr/share/translations/*de.qm | grep -Hno S.t.e.c.k.d.o.s.e

Now it is up to you to find the correct file and tamper with it :slight_smile:
(but I’d go with @Levone1)

2 Likes

Success!!

In the file
/usr/share/translations/lipstick-de.qm is the message text hidden between 00 h bytes.
I copied the file to my laptop and edited it with a hex-editor. Very inportant is to use overwrite mode and not insert mode, delete nothing and add nothing, only change the existing letters into the new ones. Start with the new message at the first letter position of the existing message, 31B h. Between the letters is always a 00 h Fill the rest of the letters with 20 h but do not delete anything else!

If the size of the file changes, the system will not accept it and english text appears.

After my first attempt I was happy that I have made a safety copy of the original file!

I typed in my name (to give a little bit more individuality and as a proof of ownership…)
and " - Ladegerät ausgesteckt". ä is E4 h, Komma is 2C h, - is 2D h.

Thanks very much! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Congratulations. The language files are overwritten with each new version. In the next step, you have to think about automation :nerd_face:

3 Likes

Im wondering if its possible to do a patch for that

The addresses, where the letters are, change with nearly every SFOS edition/version. So a patch has to be adapted for nearly every single sub-edition.
Normally, patches change code in line x to another code or insert some code into a file, that is basically a text file.
But these translation files are long sausages with binary information and don’t have line numbers. So a patch would have to change content of certain binary adresses and not line numbers, that is much more difficult to do than a ‘classic’ patch.

So regarding to your question - yes, it is possible to patch these messages, but you have to do by hand in CLI. Personally I think that patches, as we know them, for binary coded translations never ever will be available. But once familiar with this file type, it’s easy to do with a two window hex editor that shows the binary address, binary value and ASCII letter at the same time.

1 Like

The better approach would be:

Either:

Decompile the .qm file into .ts again, change the string, and compile it again.

Or:

Create a .ts file with the changes, make a .qm file from it and make Qt read that new file in addition to the native one.

For the first, I’m not sure there is a .qm decompiler, but there should be called lconvert, and it is available from the qttools package.

For the second I think there is a way to do such overrides, but details escape me right now.

2 Likes

@nephros For your suggestion 1: what software do I have to install on a Ubuntu Linux laptop to decompile, edit and recompile .qm files?

And surely interesting other readers of this forum: What is necessary on a Windows computer to do this?

agree, and it prevents seeing the percentage of the battery after it has been charged.
I’d like it to be able to disable it, without having to do all the mentioned above.

2 Likes

Try to overwrite all letters with 00 from the beginning to the end of the text until you come to the 08 00 00 00 00 06 00 00 00 0f at the end. Leave this untouched!!! But before this you can fill all letters with 00. I hope and think the text will then completely disappear or only a short flicker remains.

Whatever contains the lconvert tool. It’s going to be called something like qt-tools or qt-linguist-tools or so.

To avoid problems with qt versions I would compile the .ts on-device or in a SFOS build environment though. For that you need lrelease.

1 Like

I don’t think so. None of my Android phones have ever done this.

I think it’s a nostalgic hint at SFOS’ Nokia/Maemo/Meego heritage, because all my Nokia phones do/did this.

4 Likes

It is so, at least it was so. Maybe the EU has meanwhile removed this silly regulation like the ‘sugar regulation’ that led to undrinkable Coca Cola.

1 Like

This message was displayed maybe for a week or two when i initially installed SFOS on my phone (10 III), but then it suddenly stopped. The same happened earlier also with X and XA2. Has anyone else experienced this?

I guess J1 is the only phone i have that still has this working. I’m not really complaining, but i’m a little confused why it stopped working with 3 out of 4 phones.

i reinstalled with 4.5.0.16, but i always had it before (and still have it), after about 1-2 yrs of steady use.

On all my Xperia 10’s and also the Volla the original (‘nannyfication’ :wink: ) message comes back every update time and editing the translation file has to be done again. But meanwhile I’m familiar with it, needs only few minutes.

Oh, maybe, there is a tool similar to sed, for hex files?
So, you could make a script you’d just have to launch?

Should be as an option to disable this message in Settings>Battery
That would be nice!