Developer Announcement - Qt 5.15 available for app developer testing

The current state of public transport here almost makes me consider joining the dark side of my own and start developing a Tesla app. :grin:

1 Like

Oh wow! That’s beyond dedication!

I wonder if there’s a Sailfish-capable single-board device with more muscle that could be used for “on-device” compiling…

1 Like

I have this waiting in a box for pretty much that use case (among others).
Now if anyone could make a pi image with SFOS SDK :wink:

(Also it’s almost impossible to source CM4 modules…)

2 Likes

I am trying to solve it by docker-aarch64 image and compiling with that. Work in progress: GitHub - rinigus/docker-sailfishos-builder

3 Likes

The first big package using this is now in Chum, Noson, the Sonos controller. Not much use to people without a Sonos speaker system, but for those who do, this is working quite well. Its a good looking and featureful QQC2 based application. See The Demise of Noson (Sonos controller) on SFOS - #14 by piggz

6 Likes

Qt WebEngine is packaged and available in Chum testing. Will promote it to Chum proper if the tests will be fine. To make it possible, new build environment (Docker based build environment: simulating native builds) was used.

With WebEngine packaged, we plan to add Angelfish soon as well.

12 Likes

I am excited about this. So much good things happened in such short time. Thanks!

What is Angelfish? A quick search bring up an analytics thing?

Plasma/KDE web browser from plasma mobile

2 Likes

Oh, how very cool. You guys are really stealing the wind out of our collective sails! Yipee!

I don’t know if the Zig compiler’s ability to
a) cross compile
b) compile C/C++
is of any use.
Thought I would mention it, fwiw.

https://ruoyusun.com/2022/02/27/zig-cc.html
https://andrewkelley.me/post/zig-cc-powerful-drop-in-replacement-gcc-clang.html

1 Like

A common suggestion to tangle this problem on cheap Arm boards is to preload jmalloc, which can make a big differences and probably would have allowed you to go with -j2

1 Like

For the package that needed it (qtwebengine), I used docker based build environment. It seems to work well, so would stick to that for now. Thanks for a compiler reference!

Angelfish is now available at Chum. Don’t forget to install Maliit support for Opt Qt5 from Chum as well to use it.

Install may take a while as it will pull Qt 5.15 with it, including WebEngine. There are few bugs, such as copy-and-paste not working for me, settings not saved always (that one may get a fix soonish, have to dig into the code), and probably few others.

Webengine data:

Based on Chromium version:                             87.0.4280.144
Patched with security patches up to Chromium version: 108.0.5359.124
10 Likes

Hi rinigus,
great, thank you for all the work! I am not able to find the Maliit support for Opt QT5 in Chum…

It’s pretty fast and awesome so far!

Its this: Show sailfishos:chum / qt-sfos-maliit-platforminputcontext - SailfishOS Open Build Service

PS: Note that it is not Application, but a “Package”. You may have to allow Chum GUI to show all packages.

Awesome, it passes cloudflare block too (at least for now)
Edit: add to homescreen works (removing it doesn’t though) and launches without UI where zoom works (text entry crashes though, I guess maliit is skipped?)
Actually zoom works also normally, just override dpi in qt runner, great stuff
You can get the options to stick by creating a file ~/.config/angelfishrc with something like:

[WebView]
webDarkModeEnabled=true
webSmoothScrollingEnabled=true

[NavigationBar]
navBarBack=true
navBarReload=true

Full list: lib/angelfishsettings.kcfg · master · Network / Angelfish · GitLab

2 Likes

Sounds good!, I’ve been wanting to play with Qt3D. Now to work out how to get Qt3D in/on my SDK install.

Is there a “dummies” guide for adding Qt modules to SDK?

Unselect ‘show only applications’ in Chum, then go to packets, then type ‘Platforminput’ into the search field, then it will come.