Couple of questions before I buy the 10iii

Jolla is pretty fecking broke and whilst they may have an ongoing port of a high end Sony phone…
… if it’s buggy, they’re unlikely to release it any time soon – unless the Chinese investor wants it. It’s also faintly possible they let community devs work on it.
… it’s slightly more possible they have a nearly release quality one too but don’t bet on it.

Why doesn’t Google Maps work?

I think there’s a newish bug on GPS → App Support that causes Android GPS apps to crash roughly every 45 mins on average. It came in ~4.1 or 4.2. This is with HereWeGo anyway.

GPS works fine here on a Xperia 10II Organic Maps is running absolutely stable, if you need to have a android app.
By the way, why are you asking for Google Maps. What’s the point of using Google services on Sailfish OS. I always thought, people are using SF to get away from Google and Apple and are searching for more freedom? If there are no sailfish apps, i can understand that one uses android apps, but there are quite good GPS apps like Pure Maps or OSMScout.

4 Likes

That’s very weird.
I had no complaints about echoes but everyone I talk with is on VoLTE too.
The battery seems great to me and i am very spoiled from my 13 pro max.
And to top it off, camera is just trash compared to lets say the same phone on android and Gcam.

It’s like we have the exact opposite experience with everything so far!

Why not install MagicEarth with Aurora Store? It doesn’t track you and works very well, also offline.
Google sucks.

3 Likes

I use the Advanced Camera app.

The echo issue is a well known problem but it doesn’t effect everyone. It makes my 10 III unusable.

Guess you missed the answer to your question in my post…“Android support for the few apps I need works great, but I can’t use google maps and have not found a substitute that even comes close here in Thailand. Maybe in Europe or the US, but everything else I have tried leads me right back to google maps.”, this includes Pure maps and OSMScout.

I will check out Organic Maps and see if it does the job.

tried it, doesn’t come close to google maps here in Thailand.

Borked up everything when I used it. Open camera seems to be working wayyyyy better than the native app, but still sucks for what this phone should be able to do.

Can’t you use Google maps with microG and also try Gcam in this case?
I’m asking because even if you have stock android on the phone the camera quality is very poor compared to a proper Gcam setup.

Did you try a newer version of advanced camera? An update fixed the video crashing for me.

How about here maps? As successor of nokia maps it is very decent and the only map on my phone that can get my wifi only location somewhat right without google services.

Btw, have you tried typing in horizontal mode? I find it very comfortable on this phone with the gap in the middle. Maybe you could also try to change the way you type, like normally people type “sideways”, maybe you could do like little down to up move when you press the key.

But if you really want to ditch sfos I would recommemd /e/, tried it on old lg g3 and liked it. You could get a fairphone 4 for it, there are plenty of roms for it and easy to keep alive thanks to good repairability.

Thank you for the suggestion. I do NOT want to ditch SFOS, but the combination of all the above has convinced me to. Bought a Note 10+ a few minutes ago. I have looked at /e/ a few times. Seems they have ironed out their early issues. Looked at the German OS mentioned above. Can’t see any real benifit over Lienage w micro g. I plan on installing LIneage with MicroG in the morning. I will continue to watch SFOS and am not opposed to coming back. I do like the OS, mostly.

Nothing can beat Google at the moment. Google Omnipotent Omnipresent leaves every alternative behind. All alternatives are using devices of lower quality, also the environmentally friendly companies. Simply because they don’t have the money that Google has. It’s a choice between a top product with surveillance or a lower product without or with minor surveillance.