Community meeting on IRC 9th September 2021

Schedule: Thursday 2021-09-09T07:00:00Z (Check here for UTC or to download calendar reminder)

Topic proposals for the meeting:

• add your name/nick using the template below to suggest a topic.
  • indicate how much time you will need for the topic so we can time-box the meeting accordingly
  • please be as thorough as you can with your question/topic
  • if you can’t make the meeting please ask and then name a substitute who can in your place.

It is expected that you show up and present your topic, or name a substitute and make sure they attend in your absence. These IRC meetings are for real time participation and live discussions, otherwise you can post the topic on here and get responses that way.

We need you to be present to clarify details in the topic, and to ensure the discussion is leading to the answers you are looking for! If you do not participate or your question/topic isn’t clear enough it will be postponed. Also: Always ask for more time than you anticipate your topics needs!

Please try and have your topics ready at least 3 days before the meeting. This will help us have answers ready beforehand to save time. Topics announced afterwards will be postponed to the next meeting.

Template for topic proposal: (post your topic proposals as comments to this forum topic)

• Name / IRC nick:
  • topic:
  • some details about the topic:
  • approx. time needed:
  • optional: name of substitute if you cannot make it to the upcoming meeting (and inform your substitute)

Copying @thigg’s question from Community meeting on IRC 19th August 2021 - #4 by thigg

• Name / IRC nick: thigg
  • topic: is mpris usage [API] going to be allowed in the official store soon? (referencing podqast)
  • some details about the topic: as says on the tin:)
  • approx. time needed: 5 min
  • optional: dont know if i can make it, but feel free to discuss without me.
2 Likes

Copying @bfd’s question from Community meeting on IRC 19th August 2021 - #6 by bfd

• Name / IRC nick: bfd_fr
  • topic: upcoming fixes/improvements
  • some details about the topic:

a) Safety of the usage of the device: some applications require the device to stay always on, not going into dark mode and lock screen, especially GPS/routing applications. Is it possible to add an “always on” button in the top menu?
Answer from community: There is qml plugin for this Nemo QML Plugins Keepalive - Sailfish OS and most gps aplications use it.

b) On Xperia 10ii, the current OS version mentions that it is no possible to use a headset with a microphone on the jack connector. This is a huge annoyance, could you please fix is soon? Alternatively or additionally, can we connect a headset with microphone on the USB-C plug?

c) Is there a list of officially supported Bluetooth devices?

approx. time needed: 5-10min
optional: I’ll do my best to connect, even though this will me my first time using IRC-like communication channel

Thanks to all the community

Pro tip: You can input a localized date like this 2021-09-02T07:00:00Z using either the calendar icon or directly like this [date=2021-09-02 time=07:00:00 timezone="UTC"]

8 Likes
  • Name / IRC nick: ddobrev
  • topic: Support for easily installing Google Play Services
  • some details about the topic: Unfortunately, many applications depend on Google Play Services. Even if we as individual users don’t particularly like such, they’re often forced upon us by others. This is why it’s crucial that Sailfish supports them. I’m aware of the legal obstructions, but I have some thoughts that I think can lead to a both safe and useful solution.
  • approx. time needed: 20 minutes
  • Name / IRC nick: Dakon
  • topic: JTAG access to Jolla1 storage
  • some details about the topic: as ma initial attempt did not result in any useful information, here a more detailed question: please tell me which connectors allow JTAG access to the internal storage of a Jolla 1, and which adapter/settings/etc. is needed to download the eMMC contents.
  • approx. time needed: 5 min
  • optional: just paste the information in the logs if I don’t make it
  • Name / IRC nick: marxistvegan
  • topic: VoLTE update
  • some details about the topic: It has been discussed that VoLTE is in the works, just want to get an update on the development. I cannot attend the meeting as but will look to the notes.
  • approx. time needed: 5 minutes
  • optional: N/A I am not on IRC often but open to someone else to carry this torch :slight_smile:
1 Like

Meeting moved to next week due to internal event at Jolla, apologies.

All new topics announced from today will be moved to the meeting after next, as we already have quite a few questions:)

P. S. Thank you @simonschmeisser for the date tip, post updated.

• Name / IRC nick: fredldotme
  • topic: droidmedia buffer imports and H264 encoding
  • some details about the topic: I’d like to use droidmedia to encode H264 frames and send them over Miracast using our LGPLv3 licensed component in Ubuntu Touch (https://github.com/ubports/aethercast). It needs an additional API to import ANWB handles, so I’d like to know if there’s interest from SailfishOS and talk about details.
  • approx. time needed: 5-10 min
  • optional: Using the Telegram bridge, just prepend with an @ there :slight_smile:
2 Likes
  • Name / IRC nick: fridlmue
  • topic: QML App - force SW-keyboard to open when “HW-keyboard” is plugged
  • some details about the topic: When something is plugged to the Phone’s USB-Port that appears to be a HID Keyboard, the Software-Keyboard does not pop up. If e. g. a YubiKey is plugged, it seems to be accepted as hid, which is good. But if I want to have user input while the device is plugged I can’t. Can I force the keyboard to appear somehow (at best in QML only), also when a “HW-keyboard” is plugged?
  • approx. time needed: 5-10 min

As mentioned above, the last two topics will be postponed to the next meeting (cc @beidl @fridlmue).

I haven’t read that carefully tbh. However, if the next meeting is 2 weeks later as usual, i won’t be there most likely. Then I would be happy to read some answer in the log.

1 Like

There is now, @bfd, thanks to great community’s effort! List of working Bluetooth devices

--
Minutes: #sailfishos-meeting: Sailfish OS, open source, collaboration -- 9th September 2021
Minutes (text): https://irclogs.sailfishos.org/meetings/sailfishos-meeting/2021/sailfishos-meeting.2021-09-09-07.00.txt
Log: #sailfishos-meeting log

2 Likes

Thanks a million, dear community ! :heart_eyes:
Be sure I’ll try to contribute myself by adding my own devices.

1 Like

You may have noticed the first of the three commits of this pull request : https://github.com/sailfishos/mce/pull/4

Thank you @spiiroin

2 Likes

Oh, cool. Thanks for hinting me there. That is great news. Indeed, thanks @spiiroin. :vulcan_salute: