Community meeting on IRC 8th Apr 2021

Schedule: Thursday 8th Apr 2021 at 07:00am UTC (Check here for your local time)

Topic proposals for the meeting:

• add your name/nick using the template below to suggest a topic.
  • indicate how much time you will need for the topic so we can time-box the meeting accordingly
  • please be as thorough as you can with your question/topic
  • if you can’t make the meeting please ask and then name a substitute who can in your place.

It is expected that you show up and present your topic, or name a substitute and make sure they attend in your absence. These IRC meetings are for real time participation and live discussions, otherwise you can post the topic on here and get responses that way.

We need you to be present to clarify details in the topic, and to ensure the discussion is leading to the answers you are looking for! If you do not participate or your question/topic isn’t clear enough it will be postponed. Also: Always ask for more time than you anticipate your topics needs!

Please try and have your topics ready at least 3 days before the meeting. This will help us have answers ready beforehand to save time. Topics announced afterwards will be postponed to the next meeting.

Template for topic proposal: (post your topic proposals as comments to this forum topic)

• Name / IRC nick:
  • topic:
  • some details about the topic:
  • approx. time needed:
  • optional: name of substitute if you cannot make it to the upcoming meeting (and inform your substitute)
2 Likes
  • Name / IRC nick: Ruben - rubdos - De Smet
  • topic: Sharing plug-ins and Sailjail

For an application to be able to share pictures/videos with another application, it sends DBus commands. Sailjail’d applications need specific dbus channels whitelisted.

1. Having sharing from gallery to Whisperfish would be desirable. Some way to implement this, even unofficial/non-harbour/unstable/changing-in-every-release would be very nice.
  2. We propose a Sharing permission, which allows an application to share with another application. This Sharing permission includes all permissions from e.g. /etc/sailjail/permissions/sharing.d, in which other applications can dump their dbus-permissions.
    Cfr. https://gitlab.com/rubdos/whisperfish/-/merge_requests/127, specifically this comment.
  3. Sailjail is not a stable API. We are not asking to stabilize; we merely want to join the experiment.
  4. If Jolla would agree to have an experimental sharing.d directory-approach, me or @gamag would be happy to contribute this patch.

So, I would like to hear/discuss two things:

1. Whether Jolla would accept such a patch.
  2. Whether Jolla would agree with the above approach, and if not, I’d like to discuss what other approaches you have in mind.
  • approx. time needed: 10m
  • optional: name of substitute if you cannot make it to the upcoming meeting (and inform your substitute): @gamag might join, but I have the 8th scheduled and my morning is 100% free :slight_smile:
4 Likes

If I may ask, would it be possible to exceptionally host one of the next community meetings on a Friday morning instead of a Thursday? I have a topic I’d like to be discussed, but I can never make it on Thursdays.

2 Likes

[edit] Nickname jojo was already used I had to change it to jojo94

• Name / IRC nick: jojo
  • topic: Community help

I’ve recently searched for strategies for how the community could help the development and propagation of SFOS out here. Many suggestions hatched :

1. How can we help/what can Jolla do to have a partnership with Fairphone ? Would Jolla agree on such a topic ?
  2. Is there a more professional way for the community to peach SFOS for companies ? (for them to port their apps). We want more companies coming to Sailfish, but as users, we have little legitimacy when reaching for them.
  3. And we know that you are working hard to improve SFOS but could we have a timeline (maybe not in months but semesters) of future developments ?
  4. One more thing, how can the (non technical) community help ?
  • approx. time needed: 10m
  • optional: name of substitute if you cannot make it to the upcoming meeting (and inform your substitute) I will make up to show.
1 Like

Minutes: https://irclogs.sailfishos.org/meetings/sailfishos-meeting/2021/sailfishos-meeting.2021-04-08-07.00.html
Minutes (text): https://irclogs.sailfishos.org/meetings/sailfishos-meeting/2021/sailfishos-meeting.2021-04-08-07.00.txt
Log: https://irclogs.sailfishos.org/meetings/sailfishos-meeting/2021/sailfishos-meeting.2021-04-08-07.00.log.html

1 Like

Apologies, @nthn, but sailors at Jolla usually avoid holding meetings on a Friday (with exception to a company-wide one, which then would clash with community’s meeting).
Other weekdays have other meetings, but I will try to find a morning where key people for your topic could be present, and perhaps host an exceptional meeting only for that one topic. Are you available Mondays/Tuesdays/Wednesdays?

No problem, I understand. I’m available on Tuesdays (or perhaps Thursday afternoons, if afternoon meetings are a thing), but otherwise @rubdos has kindly offered to be my substitute in one of the following regular community meetings.

1 Like