Community meeting on IRC 29th Oct 2020

Schedule: Thursday 29th Oct 2020 at 08:00am UTC (Check here for your local time)

Topic proposals for the meeting:

• add your name/nick using the template below to suggest a topic.
  • indicate how much time you will need for the topic so we can time-box the meeting accordingly
  • please be as thorough as you can with your question/topic
  • if you can’t make the meeting please ask and then name a substitute who can in your place.

It is expected that you show up and present your topic, or name a substitute and make sure they attend in your absence. These IRC meetings are for real time participation and live discussions, otherwise you can post the topic on here and get responses that way.

We need you to be present to clarify details in the topic, and to ensure the discussion is leading to the answers you are looking for! If you do not participate or your question/topic isn’t clear enough it will be postponed. Also: Always ask for more time than you anticipate your topics needs!

Please try and have your topics ready at least 3 days before the meeting. This will help us have answers ready beforehand to save time. Topics announced afterwards will be postponed to the next meeting.

Template for topic proposal: (post your topic proposals as comments to this forum topic)

• Name / IRC nick:
  • topic:
  • some details about the topic:
  • approx time needed:
  • optional: name of substitute if you cannot make it to the upcoming meeting (and inform your substitute!)
  • Name / IRC nick: rinigus
  • topic: That Qt update question again
  • some details about the topic: Any progress regarding Qt update?
  • approx time needed: 5 - 10 minutes
  • optional: I will probably not make it to the meeting, unfortunately. As everyone is well aware of the subject, I am sure anyone can substitute as well.

While it is old topic and nobody probably has high hopes regarding it, I would like to raise it to stimulate the internal discussion at Jolla. Ancient Qt does hinder SFOS progress and makes it impossible to collaborate with other mobile Linux platforms (Plasma Mobile in particular) on the development of applications.

15 Likes
  • Name / IRC nick: thigg
  • topic: strategy regarding the other linux phone OS’s
  • some details about the topic: The other linux phone os’s which are gathering around the pinephone have some attention and see development (manjaro, postmarket, ubports). Is any kind of collaboration with these platforms planned? Is jolla having plans to encourage app developers to create apps which run on sailfishos and these platforms? How is the strategy regarding the pinephone. Is supporting it officially a priority of jolla?
  • approx time needed:10 minutes
  • optional: If I cant make it feel free to discuss it without me

Sidenote: the UBPorts forum is publishing the results of their Q&A streams to the blog, which looks quite good, because you get some biweekly information there. Maybe it would be a good idea to publich the minutes of the community meetings in a separate section in the blog?

1 Like
  • Name / IRC nick: Koen Martens (gmc)
  • topic: storing app credentials on sailfish os
  • some details about the topic: apps may use credentials to log in to external services, and need to do so in a secure way - the sailfishsecrets library / daemon provides a solution, however it is not allowed to use it when publishing an app to the jolla store. What is the recommended way for an app to securely store credentials and be publishable in the jolla store? Are there plans to allow the sailfishsecrets service to the list of allowed packages to depend on? Sailfishsecrets seems to be pretty stable (according to the commit history).
  • approx time needed: 10m
  • optional: -
  • Name / IRC nick: ahappyhuman
  • Topic: QtMultimedia/gstreamer unable to play back from most HTTPS sources
  • Some details about the topic: while gstreamer seems to be pretty up to date, it uses a outdated libsoup and gnutls for doing network requests, as I’ve found out and written in this post. This seems to be the reason why virtually any playback from a https source fails. Are there any plans to solve this issue by updating libsoup and/or libgnutls or switching to e.g. curlhttpsrc (even though it’s a “bad” plugin)?
  • approx time needed: 5 - 10 minutes
  • optional: If I can’t be there feel free to discuss without me
2 Likes

libsoup may already be up to date (on my Xperia X it is 2.68), gnutls and openssl should be updated though both are very out of date and this means that as time progresses this will mean more and more websites/services will become inaccessible due to newer TLS versions being unsupported.

I’ll move your topic to the next meeting, because we didn’t have enough time to prepare an answer for it (please list topics at least 3 days before meeting, as written in the original post).

A short answer regarding next update: In our next release, QtMultimedia/libsoup no longer uses libgnutls.
Regarding openssl, there is an update work ongoing you can see it in the repository.

2 Likes

Meeting ended Thu Oct 29 09:31:09 2020 UTC.

Minutes: https://irclogs.sailfishos.org/meetings/sailfishos-meeting/2020/sailfishos-meeting.2020-10-29-08.00.html
Minutes (text): https://irclogs.sailfishos.org/meetings/sailfishos-meeting/2020/sailfishos-meeting.2020-10-29-08.00.txt
Log: https://irclogs.sailfishos.org/meetings/sailfishos-meeting/2020/sailfishos-meeting.2020-10-29-08.00.log.html