Community meeting on IRC 28th April 2022

Schedule: Thursday 2022-04-28T07:00:00Z   :world_map:   :date:

Topic proposals for the meeting:

• Add your name/nick using the template below to suggest a topic.
  • Indicate how much time you’ll need so we can time-box the meeting accordingly.
  • Please be as thorough as you can with your question/topic.
  • If you can’t make the meeting please ask and name a substitute.

It is expected that you show up and present your topic, or name a substitute and make sure they attend in your absence. These IRC meetings are for real time participation and live discussions, otherwise you can post the topic on here and get responses that way.

We need you to be present to clarify details in the topic, and to ensure the discussion is leading to the answers you are looking for! If you do not participate or your question/topic isn’t clear enough it will be postponed. Also: always ask for more time than you anticipate your topic needs!

Please have your topics ready at least 3 days before the meeting so we can prepare good answers. Topics announced afterwards will be postponed to the next meeting.

Template for topic proposal: (post your topic proposals as comments to this forum topic).

* Name/IRC nick:
* Topic:
* Some details about the topic:
* Approx. time needed:
* Substitute (optional):

1 Like
  • Name/IRC nick: direc85
  • Topic: Poll users for Sailfish OS upgrade experience
  • Some details about the topic: As users tend to write more about issues than successes about a Sailfish OS release in its release notes thread (Vanha Rauma is the prime example), the majority about posts tend to be negative. This can be off-putting to cautious users, as the thread seems to be mostly about issues. To combat this, and to help everyone get more realistic picture about a software update, I suggest that a standard poll is added to release notes to see how the update went. It should probably separate the early access phase and the final release, so two polls could possibly be held side by side. As an example, Manjaro Linux, which I use, has this practice[1]. I like to pop in and leave a vote after an update, and from my own experience, it works well for both the community and the devs.
  • Approx. time needed: 10min
  • Substitute (optional): I won’t be able to attend due to work meeting. No substitute is needed, I’m sure there will be a fruitful discussion anyway.

[1] [Stable Update] 2022-04-15 - Kernels, Mesa, Nvidia, Budgie, PipeWire, LIbreOffice, KDE Frameworks, Wine - Stable Updates - Manjaro Linux Forum

3 Likes
  • Name/IRC nick: remote [will not be present]
  • Topic: Toggle-able option to add digits row in keyboards
  • Some details about the topic: Last 3 phones are 21:9, so having digits row is convenient. 3d party solutions (not for every language) exist, manual patching (tedious, resets every update) exists. But I don’t see why this can’t be implemented in stock.
  • Approx. time needed: 5 min
4 Likes

Bug reports:

4 Likes
  • Name/IRC nick: Solrac
  • Topic: Status of VoLTE
  • Some details about the topic:
    There have been some concerns with the implementation of VoLTE, specially now that it is starting to become mandatory in some countries (most notably in the US). Unfortunately, it has already been stated that older devices will not recieve VoLTE support, which brings up another concern that I’d like to ask about as well.

What might be the state of VoLTE at the moment? Might there be a roadmap? Is it planned to arrive with 4.5, or would it be an update for 4.4, or would it be a simple package update? And would be only implemented for officially supported devices, or will it be possible to implement it in community builds (for porting to other devices)

• Approx. time needed: 10-15min
  • Substitute (optional): I may not be able to attend the meeting, I believe, however, there is a significant amount of interest, so I think the discussion could bring some much wanted light on the matter, and maybe some future suggestions.
3 Likes

Minutes: #sailfishos-meeting: Sailfish OS, open source, collaboration -- 28th April 2022
Minutes (text): https://irclogs.sailfishos.org/meetings/sailfishos-meeting/2022/sailfishos-meeting.2022-04-28-07.00.txt
Log: #sailfishos-meeting log

Once again, we had some really nice discussion and made some good progress. Thanks to everyone who joined.

2 Likes