Camera App Failing to find main camera hardware

Newer versions of Advanced Camera are only available in chum.

2 Likes

Great thank you. Iā€™ve installed that and it only sees the front facing camera, too.

Have you used the ā€˜enable 3 camerasā€™ app? It seems to be the culprit, reenable 3 cameras, then switch cameras with the button (so three indicators are gone), then disable the 3 camera functionality and it seems to be back to normal switching between front and back

2 Likes

Thanks. I havenā€™t used, or heard of, it before. I might try it.

I think, though mine might be a hearware fault, there may be an actual problem here, with the camera app on some phones getting into a ā€œbrokenā€ state, and some playing needed to get them back to a properly funcitoning one.

Oops, that might be XIII only, as the symptoms were exactly as described (stuck on face facing camera with switch cameras not working) I just assumed the same model, didnā€™t notice it was about xa2, sorry

1 Like

Still worth a shot maybe? I suppose it canā€™t make things worse.

1 Like

The enable 3 cameras app was XIII specific I believe, but who knows, might work, it was just toggling one option in a config file so maybe

1 Like

Iā€™ll have a look, but as thereā€™s only 2 cameras on the XA2 (donā€™t know if thereā€™s 3 on XIII?), it might not work properly, anyway.

No problem! Thanks anyway.

After a while the problem with the camera fails to open returned and I had to reissue @attah 's command, just to return the next day.

Iā€™m wondering if we can automate the reset function.
If there was a way to determine from a script, that the camera config is mangled, we could issue the reset from that script as well.

Another option could be to issue regular resets from a cron job or systemd timer.

XA2 latest ver, Camera occasionally just does not work. Now I rarely use it any more except to try and repair other (Android) apps not finding the camera.

Resetting home screen has fixed it every time Iā€™ve tried iti n the last 18+ months.

1 Like

Thanks for the report, however is this still happening with the latest release? I havenā€™t been able to reproduce this, so logs from this would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Hi I tried the camera again, and it worked briefly, before failing again. So now Iā€™ve no idea whether itā€™s a bug and/or a hardware issue. But yes, it seems it is still happening. Youā€™ll need to give me some guidance as which logs and how though. Thanks you.

Ok, from here you can find instructions how to take camera logs: Collect Camera Logs | Sailfish OS Documentation
Then you could send those through Zendesk ticket: https://jolla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
-Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi, thanks for this. I should have some time to try it over the weekend.

Hi, Iā€™ve created that and uploaded the logs. Ticket #39486

I wasnā€™t sure which category to put the ticket under, but I gave it the same subject as the title of this thread/Post.

Thanks again.

2 Likes

Itā€™s occurred to me that I didnā€™t say what I did when I generated those logs, sorry. I ran the command to open the camera, only the front facing one was available, and there was no button to switch. I then closed the camera. I can try after a reboot, or other fixes from above, if you think theyā€™re worth it.

@skanky this could well be a hardware failure as only one camera is recognized.

It could help if you could attach logcat log ( /usr/libexec/droid-hybris/system/bin/logcat ) and dmesg as well.

2 Likes

I thought I should try opening the camera before getting those, and the main camera came on for a a few seconds, then went black. The front facing camera was available. Sometimes the camera comes on black, and the camera switch button isnā€™t there, so I canā€™t switch to the front facing one.

I have managed to get the main camera to come on, every now and then, ususally after a reboot.

I might be being a bit slow, but I canā€™t see how to attach those logs to a post/reply?

Hi,

You should be able to add the logs to the ticket you created, just replied to you from the ZD as well.

1 Like