Aurora as PlayStore replacement

Yes, Sailfish OS is in a very complicated position. Because Google does offer AOSP for their Pixel Devices (with support!) so except for the Vendor Drivers, you can have an completely Free and OpenSource OS from Google or an half-free/open System from Jolla which you have to buy an Android Phone for.

Right now Jolla profits from people who either want a real Linux or people who don’t want to support Google (but you need to support Google to get a phone to run Sailfish OS on it).

Somethings does have to change in the future

I guess one has to always make some compromises in life :slightly_smiling_face:
But it gets even more ridiculous - basically the only thing I have to fire AlienDalvik up for is the browser.
I could get rid of Android support altogether if Jolla just provided a browser that would work with a majority of every day sites.

1 Like

Sadly i need more Android Apps. My Flashcard Learning Software (Anki) is Android only, my App for public transport (DB Navigator) and my Apps for Bike and Carsharing (altough i rarely use Carsharing at all), the messenger LINE (because for Japanese there is no FLOSS alternative to LINE) and so on.

For some Android Apps i use, there are replacements in the Jolla store but they either lack essential feature or they no longer work since the last update was somewhere in 2014

Do you mean OpenRepos or are you the last person still using Jolla Store? :grinning:

Taken from the main page of Aurora Store’s github:

Aurora Store was originally based on Sergei Yeriomin’s Yalp store. Aurora Store v4.0 is a rewrite of version 3 in Kotlin and runs on all devices running Android 4.4+. Read the roadmap page on our Wiki for more info!

Is that the same Aurora Store?

1 Like

ANKI!!! haha my only Android app too :wink: But, it still works with 4.4

1 Like

Nice!
Yes it’s the same Aurora Store, but the Android 4.4+ compatibility has only been added with the v4, a few weeks ago! :tada:
You can see that v3 was only for Android 5.0+: https://github.com/whyorean/AuroraStore/blob/v3/README.md

That’s good news! The OP should have started with that :stuck_out_tongue:
Indeed it should probably be advertised by Jolla then.

5 Likes

Maybe you give Google some money, the most important point is, that you don’t pay with your data.

2 Likes

Right, if you don’t pay for the product you are likely the product.

I pity the company who actually pays for my data.

I never payed a single cent for AOSP and still i am a human being and have not turned into AOSP :o

They can’t by contract, Google won’t let you sell other OS’s and Android.

2 Likes

Exactly - this is like the Microsoft business model and the politicians we elect turn into the three monkeys.

1 Like

Has anyone lately problems connecting anonymously to Aurora Store? I receive always that it cannot connect to some google store IP.
Thank you!

You have to update Aurora store

https://files.auroraoss.com/AuroraStore/Stable/

4 Likes

Thank you! That was it!

Is it possible to do unattended updates in Aurora Store app?

All updates require manually tapping Install dialog, which is becoming tedious.

Yes, read this: Aurora OSS / Aurora Services · GitLab

Note: I have not tried this on SFOS

3 Likes

Just out of interest, how many Android apps do you have installed, that this is a problem?

Aurora counts 68 Android apps installed.

Core daily driver app pack is probably 10+ (business, messengers, email [because Jolla’s is seriously below par] etc)

Weekly driver probably 20+ (grocery stores, banking etc)

Rest is probably rare niche drives, but even with daily + weekly update count becomes tedious to manage.