Audible tone after ignoring call

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): ?
BUILD ID = OS VERSION: since 3.3.0.16
HARDWARE: XA2, X
UI LANGUAGE: na
REGRESSION: not sure, observed since 3.3.0.16

DESCRIPTION:

Sometimes, a signaling tone is heard after silencing or ignoring an incomming call.

PRECONDITIONS:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. unknown, random

EXPECTED RESULT:

No sound.

ACTUAL RESULT:

Signaling tone is heard.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Observed when silencing a call or completly ignoring the phone.
I believe it is a “SIT”, " Special information tone", the “RO’” or “IC” in

Once I saw the message “Network error”.
Frequency: much less than 1 in 10 calls.

3 Likes

Edit: today I had this during a call. A second call came in, I didn’t take any action, and suddently there was this SIT.
Xperia X, 3.4.0.24

Just happened 2 times in a row, SFOS 4.4.0.58, so I tried to reproduce and it happens all the time. If somebody tells which logs to collect, I will do…

Still there in SFOS 4.4.0.72…

1 Like

is it possible for you to collect logs while that happens?

I think devel-su journactl -u ofono could be relevant

Same thing happens when an incoming call is not answered and gets forwarded to voice mail (so I guess it relates to call forwarding in general). “Three beep” network error signal and sometimes a “Network error” message. The call itself gets correctly forwarded to voice mail, though.

What I see is common is that the “connection” is terminated by the TELCO. Will try to find some time to investigate. Sometimes, it is 100% reproducible…

I had the same issue few times. From what I see it mostly happend when this occur:
Somebody calls, you pick up your phone, see whos calling, but you cant talk right know so you LOCK the device. Audible tone comes within few seconds. If you do nothing and left the phone laying it won’t go with this tone ath the end of a call

1 Like

I have had the same issue in 4.4.0 and also now in 4.5.0.16. Every time I don’t answer the incoming call (doesn’t matter if I just miss it or silence it) there will be loud sound from the speaker. Also there is notification that there is problem with the network. The sound is quite annoying since it cancels the purpose of silencing the ringing. I’ve reflashed the phone twice but that didn’t help.

1 Like

I’ve the same behaviour and I’m proposing this fix to ofono-binder-plugin:

4 Likes

The audible tone must be network-dependent. Namely, in my test call from one Finnish operator to another (used on my Sailfish phone), there is no sound at all. The ringing tone just stops in 1-2 seconds after the caller hangs up.

Sure, it is operator dependant. It is so annoying that I guess you didn’t encountered it in your testing ! The details of the network replies leading to the cause of the call interruption being attributed to an error (thus the tones) are given in the pull request. With my provider, such sequences of network replies are very consistent and happening each time. So, supposing in the code that the call still exists when receiving the reason from the network cannot stand. I’m not sure that treating the absence of active call when receiving the reason as a remote hang up is the right way to go though… At least, I don’t have these horrific tones anymore when I don’t answer.

1 Like

Let me add that this is extremely, extemely annoying and embarrassing behaviour.

I had to resort to putting the device in flight mode for cinema, theater, Meetings etc because no amount of silencing will prevent it. One carries a ticking time audio bomb around.

Damien, thanks a bunch for looking into it! And jorvirkku, if you can, please make this a priority, thank you.

1 Like

@jovirkku: let me quote dcaliste on github: “I’m getting this full blow tones…”. This also happens when you have the phone on your ear. This hurts! At least on an XA2…

I thought this behaviour would happen only during connectivity problems, which may result in a 2G phone call going wrong.
The signal sounds like a connection error, which would normally sound through the ear piece, and not in public space.

Using X10iii, with 4G calling enabled as much as possible.

(Didn’t read the entire trail of posts .But I agree with other complainers, the loud signal is way too loud and annoying.)

I don’t have any hint that 2G is involved.
“ear piece”: On the ear, full volume, it happens during calls…

I have filed an internal bug about this. Tagging as ‘tracked’.
Thank you everyone and especially dcaliste for the proposed fix.

2 Likes

Great, thanks @jovirkku . As said in the pull request, don’t hesitate to ask for complete logs or additional details if necessary. It’s 100% reproducible on my configuration.

How to apply the proposed fix?

FWIW, I have tested and can confirm that the fix solves the issue on my (4.4, ofono-binder-plugin-1.1.5) daily driver X10iii.

2 Likes