Apps you like us to develop in a student projects course?

An Instagram client/update of the exiating onea?
Or, as an easy start, a call history viewer simply extracting the data frim the msql file?

SQLITE I mean, not msql.

Other idea: a What’s App client.

Event Friend Finder:

Show the short range distance and bearing to your friends position.

Problem: You are at an event with thousands of people, and your friend is perhaps 150m away. You try to send location from your Android, and it sends an online Maps link. Except, there are thousands of people - the data rate is so slow you will never get to see the map.

Solution:
Step 1) Send the GPS location by SMS. The recipient displays a compass arrow with distance and heading, and replies with their coordinates. Distance and bearing is displayed. The display rotates with the compass. Text shows “137m SE, 23m lower”
Step 2) Add position averaging, and display persistence so you can see old vectors fading away under the new ones. This is to cope with GPS positions varying, and also jumping when you have multipath which is likely at a concert.
Step 3) Extract position from Andoid/IOS location links. Reply with bearing and distance ( “I’m 137m SE and 23m lower”)

Step 4) Add direct data connection between phones e.g. WebRTC as well as SMS to allow continuous streaming.

I suggest using pure QML & JS.

It is nicely in several modules: SMS link, GPS readings, averaging and filtering, Direction display, Web RTC linking, Andoid/IOs link decoding, automatic SMS response. The App can be useful even with only some parts working - all teams don’t need to succeed. e.g it would be useful just to decode an Android position link, and tell me the bearing and distance “137m SE”.

There are already apps using GPS, compass, which have a compass rose and rotating polar plot, so plenty of example code for the key parts.
(GPSInfo)

Using ham radio APRS (automatic position reporting system) JS library might be useful for encoding/decoding position packets.

Perhaps using a cross-platform QML UI library so it could be ported to Android too. Puremaps uses one.

Step N)

• Port to android
  • extend to multiple people
  • make a silent position reply, so my wife’s phone will automatically return her position without any interaction, so I can find her. (Yeah, just sending position from Android IOs seems to defeat her). This is also important because you can’t hear incoming SMS when in a noisy environment
  • Do this using direct WIFI or BLE reception and no network using signal strength
  • Open a local offline map showing positions
  • Add “Send Position” to sailfish sms app
2 Likes

Thats like songkick on a larger scale, nice

Pay-me app. Just fill-in bank account number (allow to pre-define), amount of money… And app will show qr code for the payment. I always need to open Android bank app for that.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Please keep in mind this is a teaching module and the project needs to be adapted to the student’s level and to the course objectives.
Anything that requires some obscure or undocumented APIs aren’t going to do it, because I don’t want them to spend hours finding and fixing some technical issues or APIs. That’s not the point (it’s not a free student project).

From all your suggestions so far, I think a full health app is a good project:

• Traditional metric tracking (weight, height, steps, etc.)
  • Health conditions tracking (Glucose meter, etc.)
  • Menstruation cycle tracker
  • Vaccine tracker (doses, dates, mandatory children vaccines)
  • Food/calories/etc.

Functionalities:

• Multiple user profiles
  • Notifications/reminders
  • Import/export data

These things can be mostly done in QML/JS, with a local sqlite database, and using official APIs and SDK. And students can build specifications and mockups for this (and if they don’t finish building a full app, maybe the community can continue their work as specs would be already available).

What’s your opinion on it? Any ideas to improve or add new functionalities or features?

1 Like

I didn’t find a graphical wake-on-lan client yet. There is the ether-wake cli in the net-tools-extra package, so it would just need a GUI wrapper.

You could also add something like a

• personal Pain Killer consummation tracker
  • migraine tracker
  • medication plan (with possibility to make a check mark when consumed today)

I think it’s a great idea. Broad cross section of stats, reminders.

I just skimmed through the FratzenJail code. It is a great deal more than a Jail. Can we maybe start a thread about it and this approach to ‘wrapping’ a site? It’s a lot more ambitious than an WebView…

1 Like

Sure, I was going silent here because I didn’t want my proposal to generate too much non-proposal noise :wink:

OTOH, the reason I have been silent about that app is that I do not want to be an enabler for people who want to use that website.

1 Like

What about a speedcam^H^H^H^H^H POI warning app? Technically that’s

• GNSS access
  • e.g. OSM Overpass API (c.f. overpy) to fetch POIs (e.g with <query type="relation"> <has-kv k="type" v="enforcement"/> </query> :grinning:)
  • sqlite R*Tree index (available in the Sailfish version of sqlite)
  • playing an alert
  • UI for configuration/import of POIs
2 Likes

Simple idea:

pretty statistical graphics for
call duration (incoming/outgoing)
for sim1 / sim2 / total
for today / yesterday / week / month…
overall and ?even for a single contact, maybe?

Required data should be in the logs.

Cheers

1 Like

That’s quite a cool idea. We had to do quite a similar project at my university as well and we would loved it to develop some real application and not something that is just trashed afterwards!
So thanks for delivering that projects to your students!

I have an idea as well:
There is a quite useful app for android called Splid. https://splid.app
Basically it’s for shared apartments, but also for a trip with friends or similar.
It’s collecting all financial costs from all people and calculating what person needs to pay to every other person for equality.
Nevertheless you can organize your financial transactions into categories and create different teams.
It has some advanced features, which are maybe a bit difficult on SFOS and would be over the time limit. But basically for a working application they are not needed and could omitted:

• exporting a project as a pdf or csv
  • adding new categories
  • allowing to select the currency
  • fetch the accurate data for calculating some costs from on currency into another

There’s ‘Expenditure’ which does pretty much that!

2 Likes

Yup, expenditure does it all. Using it.just right now on a trip

Glad my little app Expenditure is of use to you. It is still a work in progress, so please be aware there might be bugs. :wink:
I would also like to take the opportunity and suggest another app idea @orangecat. In case someone in your course is strong in graphics, how about a prototype of a facial recognition app? Core features would include a database which stores known persons pictures as datasets with assigned names, and a camera live-feed which draws a frame around recognized faces and adds names if found. Python-OpenCV and Python-face-recognition could be a starting point. Both would need to be packaged for SF, though.

2 Likes

You made my day! :relaxed: Very cool!

What about an app for openfoodfacts?
https://world.openfoodfacts.org / Open Food Facts - Wikipedia

There is an API(Data) and an open source android app(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.openfoodfacts.scanner)

They would need to make use of the camera to read product codes and handle the API communication

2 Likes