Any plan for upgrading Qt version?

QT 6.7 has been released this 2th April by the release manager, that is, guess what, finnish :smiley:
so why doesn’t Jolla talks with this Jani Heikkinen and agreed on bringing newer QT to Sailfish OS?
5.6 has been out since 2017, last release of course. Come on

1 Like

The primary issue is not a technical one, and it can not be solved by wishing, demanding, or believing.

It can however be understood better by actually reading this thread, and the ones it links to.

9 Likes

I read the links provided by @nephros and @olf. Discourse does not want link reposts, so I just quote the text:

< abranson> it’s a licensing thing. mentioned many times before
< abranson> i think at one point we thought we could proceed with the update
and sort the licensing out separately. but couldn’t.
< abranson> the whole thing. 5.9 is either GPLv3 or commercial
< abranson> some 5.6 modules were the same. they weren’t upgraded to 5.6.
< abranson> but when that is sorted, then the amount of time needed to actually do the upgrade will be relatively instantaneous :slight_smile:

< pasik> about licenses… newer Qt (5.9 and 5.12 for example) are LGPLv3 … these discussions often mention GPLv3? Is LGPLv3 problematic for jolla?
< jpetrell> yes lGPLv3 is problematic, by saying GPL3 sometimes both lgpl3 and gpl3 is meant, sorry for the confusion

< sledges> #info We have Qt upgrade on the roadmap, but no update to give on short term.

9 Likes