Announcing SailfishOS-Chum-Gui 0.3

I have started working on it. DeveloperName can be given as a free string - tested in the form Test me (testme) and it went through. So, if set, Login fetched from GitHub will be ignored.

I will look into packager and packaging repo specification as well. Will work on implementation and then we can review it at PR stage.

@nephros: few comments:

• you can check your metadata submissions by compiling at chum:testing, starting Chum GUI and, in its settings, selecting testing repository. That would change chum repo to point to chum:testing and you could see how your new metadata looks.

• when setting screenshots or icons, use “raw” URL. For GitLab, something like https://gitlab.com/nephros/harbour-imagemagick/-/raw/obs/files/icon-imagemagick_sfos_256.png . That is the one that can be loaded by QML Image from using that URL as a source. If image is in this “pretty” format surrounded by GitLab/GitHub elements, QML Image will fail to load it.

If Chum-GUI shows update available for multiple packages, and even if I choose to update only a specific package (going to app page and selecting update from pulley menu or by long pressing package name), it updates all the update available packages. Is that the intended behaviour? Shouldn’t there be a way to update only a selected package.

Believe the behaviour is same in Storeman too, unable to update individual packages.

This happened to me as well, although I thought I must have done something wrong at the time. Perhaps I didn’t after all.

Same experience. I’m going to report this as a bug.

That has always been this way with cusrom repos, also pkcon install behaves like that.

I believe it’s a limitation of packagekitd.

1 Like

We call update API as it is supposed to be for single app update. For some reason it still updates all. Same can be observed if you update using pkcon update packageName. So, please file an issue at packagekit repo against pkcon. I didn’t see such issue there, maybe missed it.

3 Likes

Storeman updates can be done individually. Package by package.

Edit: At least it appears that way. But that may just be that one ‘Installed’ message didn’t display? I had two updates (in planet_os repo) selected one (Beam Calc) and updated. Got a success message. But the second update appears to have been made withOUT a message being displayed. Hmmm. Well, I’m doing a bunch of updates so I can test it, I guess.

Oh, the message will just be for the package you select. It will still install all updatable packages in the background.

2 Likes

Yeah, I can sadly confirm that. I had to wait for some updates I uploaded to openrepos to confirm :). It even seems to span more than repo. sigh.

Ah well, best to keep everything up to date anyway :smiley:

Do not mess with running system :slight_smile:

is Chum GUI v1.0 the moment where Sailfish Chum becomes the app ‘solution’ for Jo User?

Chum is obviously in development right now, fair enough, but curious when its going to reach a level of usability where ‘Jo’ is invested in using it…

For bg info - we were considering releasing the last version as 1.0. In the end, we went with the increment of the version number to

• have a chance to fix bugs if they come out after such larger rewrite
  • allow to translations to catch up

The bugs reported so far are not really a show-stoppers in my understanding. I think you can use it already.

5 Likes

Request: sort by… (whatever)

3 Likes

Sort by “last updated” would be great!

6 Likes

“last updated” is tricky. Haven’t found a way to get that from PackageKit. Tips are welcome

2 Likes

I have no idea, but as far as I know Gnome Software and KDE Discover also use PackageKit and they somehow manage to offer this category. So I guess there has to be a way?

Anyway, thank you for your work so far!

Looked into Discover and it is not able to get release date via PackageKit: libdiscover/backends/PackageKitBackend/PackageKitResource.h · master · Plasma / Discover · GitLab

The only place it is able to get that data with this backend is through AppStream data: libdiscover/backends/PackageKitBackend/AppPackageKitResource.cpp · master · Plasma / Discover · GitLab

So, no go and cannot get that info from it.

3 Likes

Little small remark, almost cosmetic:
As the amount of applications are growing, I noticed that Chum was coming back at the beginning of the apps list after having installed an app.
The user has then to scroll all the way down to continue “shopping” where he left it.
This hurts the finger :innocent:
I thought Chum could come back where the user left the app list to continue exploring right away.

Great app giving access to great apps anyway!

3 Likes