Anbox on SFOS phones

The Anbox campaign has move to new website.

There is a new webside of the waydroid project (before anbox)

Nice! But does somebody know what happened to Anbox on Ubtouch? There were 2 crowdfundings, and it seemed that they nearly reached their goals, and there were also videos circulating of prototypes. But since then you didnā€™t hear anything, also the Twitter account of the main conzributor Rudi Timmerman seems to have disappeared on Twitter. Does somebody have more info? Their approach seemed so successfull :confused:n I was hoping that when it would work out on Ubtouch, it would quickly find its way to SFOS

They raised enough money and decided to close the crowdfunding. They closed the first one because a policy history with the platform or something similar.

1 Like

Thats nice, but how did the project advance? I canā€™t find any new information about itā€¦

There is a telegram group you can ask.

Early Preview of Waydroid on Ubuntu Touch (Pixel 3a)

1 Like

What does A.D. stand for ?

Perhaps Alien Dalvik?

1 Like

i have waydroid on gs290
i can run deezer and listen to music
even in car when i connect first using i.e.native music app
corona app also works
all that i need

1 Like

Is it also coming for Sony Xperia X!? :stuck_out_tongue:

not sure if waydroid deps are same as lxc, but current X kernel is lacking a module for lxcā€¦
https://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1568652&postcount=26

i would just try

its two or three cmd line lines

However, there are people in US available to pay between $1.200 and $2.000 for a smartphone fully Android compatible but secure and privacy compliant.

For a piece of hardware that which the specs are below of Sony Xperia 10 II on GSM-Arena and Jolla sells for $360Ā¹ as you can see:

Other significant differences:

• hardware kill switches for camera, microphone, bluetooth, wifi and mobile networks.

• the premium version is build in USA instead of outside the country

The 2nd point can be withdraw and the target price became ā‚¬1.200Ā¹ while the Jolla top gamma smartphoneĀ² is offered for ā‚¬450 minus the cost for the Alien Dalvik license and others stuff like Sony permission fee of re-locking the boot.

There is a gap larger of ā‚¬800 per unit between a smoothless user experience and the current Sailfish OS running on Xperia. I cannot say about Jolla OS because I never seen it.

Remains the gap of the kill switches but as long as you can remove the battery to a smartphone, it safe enough. It is not equivalent because kill switch allows the smartphone to be completed discontected but still functionalĀ³.

Conclusion

Improving the user experience for SFOS and increase the Android compatibility can bring to Jolla:

1. a value that fullfil that gap and sell their Jolla Phone '22 and X23 in USA at higher prices

2. which is more probable and fair, sell much more devices at a little bit more the price listed todayā“

Going for the 2nd way, they will start to raise money to increase - not the number of native applications - but the user experience. In such a way the Sailfish OS will go out the hakers niche and reach the advanced users market.

NOTES

Ā¹ ā‚¬329 are c.a. $360 at the current exchange rate but usually in consumer electronic the conversion ratio used by companies in proposing their priceses is 1:1) therefore in the following part, I will use 1:1 conversion rate.

Ā² which is the Jolla Phone '22 because the Jolla X23 is a rugged device which is a completely another market and we cannot confuse apple with bananas.

Ā³ in Purism 5, there is not a kill switch for the GPS hardware and in theory the GPS chip is able to fix the position and store it into a internal memory for future uses and it would be not so strange because speed / direction of travelling are differential quantities.

ā“ a reasonable estimation indicates between ā‚¬30 for the X10 II and ā‚¬150 for the X24/'24 of added value per unit sold considering a selling 2x of devices.

Jolla does not sell any devices. Probably you are referring to jolla-devices.com, which is an independent seller (actually one person).

1 Like

Thanks for the information.

Again, where you see a barrier, I saw an opportunity.

In fact, I evaluated for myself to open an e-store in Italy. Unfortunately, Italy is a country in which security and privacy are a hot topic but also a poor market.

A poor market because people prefer a shiny iPhone to a secure phone. Not poor in terms of poverty because Italy with the highest Gini indexĀ¹ in EU have a relatively lot of people that in teory can wish to buy a secure phone but the culture.

Today is a single person shop, tomorrow can be a network distributed among some EU countries and not only in Europeā€¦ :wink:

After all, if Jolla were Apple, they would not care about privacy nor they would feel the need to consolidate and expand their business. Because the day they will end of the business, probably it will a sad end also for SailFish OS as well.

I do not think that we have to worry about that they will grow so big to start selling our privacy after having sold to us their phones / solutions. :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :rofl:

NOTES

Ā¹ The Gini index is an economic / finantial index that indicates the concentration of the wealth in a society / country: higher means more poors and more riches but a lack of the middle class.