Anbox on SFOS phones

There was (not stable) Anbox for community port of SFOS for Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus (vince) but it doesn’t work since SFOS 3.2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu8x0x1X9OM

There is a main problem for german banks: costs for the customer - and costs for the bank.
There are other solutions which work for most german bank accounts. But these are hardware tan generators with a slot for your bank card. But the banks don’t want to pay these devices (good ones are about 15-30€). These devices make some optical blinky stuff to your transaction page on your computer or smartphone. Or they are connected via USB or bluetooth (really expensive ones, perfect usage…).

You can use these devices but you as a customer have to pay. You as a customer can also use other ways for the electronic banking than the web interface like Hibiscus but that would be the solution of people in forums like this and not the “normal” facebooker.

And the apps are not secure anyways… (https://media.ccc.de/v/32c3-7360-un_sicherheit_von_app-basierten_tan-verfahren_im_onlinebanking and following)
But this is handled by risk calculation.Capitalism you know…

2 Likes

German banks are very special.

My credit card provider canceled the web access and instead released an Android / iOS app for confirmations. Of course, the app doesn’t run on a device with root :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I dropped the card and this bank :-1:

My house bank has stopped supporting mobile websites :roll_eyes: Sometimes it was useful to check the account balance with the phone. Now I can only do my financial transactions with my PC.

What can I say? I feel free again! Some things can wait until I get home.

1 Like

But to come back to the apps: You need a 2 factor authentication. This should be done by two physical (!) different systems, e. g. the banking application and your account data and some device or paper…

Banks today think they can do it with two applications. The best solution there would be web page on your computer and an app on your smartphone. But this is not easy enough to the customer so they pack both applications to the smartphone. And these applications must communicate otherwise the customer needs to copy the tan from the first app and paste it to the other. But cut/copy/paste is a security desaster too. They then use some glue which is not really valid to the smartphone os concepts. And this glue fails on Anbox and Dalvik.

1 Like

And now the technical thing: What is needed to get Anbox run on SFOS? Is it eventually possible to flatpak it? (no I do not like this…)

Sure. I use the Chip-Tan method. 2 independent devices.

Can remember that banks even banned 2 apps on 1 device a few years ago.

I also see that Anbox does not help with this problem.

1 Like

But nevertheless, looks like this thread is going out of it’s scope :roll_eyes:

Covid app, banking, netflix (streamer with drm), full functional proprietary messanger…

This stuff will never run with free android versions. This is the same with lineage and so on. It is simply because the free solutions might break out of the secure level (“rooting”) and therefore the commercial stuff will more and more not function.

That is the point where the end user must decide if it is possible to live with a free phone and free solutions or not. I often tell people: “Buy apple” though I never ever would use it by my own for private things. But I also can live with self hosted services and not to talk to people via someservicefromGAFA.

You see it in former discussions when there was a point where more people tried SFOS: I can not somehipservicefromGAFAorothers
Android emulation is usable for having a fast solution for some problems. But my stuff I use with Dalvik is more or less f-droid stuff (opensource too).

1 Like

I dont really get the point here. SFOS has AD, which works fine. Why does anyone need another android environment? It would be something for nemomobile but they already move to fedora.

2 Likes

Practically AD is only available for a limited set of devices i.e. XA2, 10. I am not sure if antbox is bound to a specific kernel version, Jolla should consider selling AD to other devices too.

2 Likes

Yes exactely this is the thing. Jolla Phone users are stuck with Android 4.1, what due to Kernel reasons seems to be unchangeable. But for Xperia X users like me, where there is a newer kernel supporting a higher Android version like 8, the only thing preventing us, from having a higher Android support is the old kernel used in our releases and the resulting limitation to Android 4.4. So my intention behind the post was, if Jolla gave up bringing a newer kernel to Xperia X devices, maybe we could get a higher Android support by using Anbox, or is there the same issue, that it needs a newer kernel?

1 Like

Updating Xperia X to a newer AOSP is (might?) possible, however such task is not viable financially, that’s my understanding.

2 Likes

Yes, thats also what i understood. But the question is, if by using Anbox, we could get a higher Android version without the newer kernel. For my understanding, Alien Dalvik or Anbox are a VMs, so as long as the VM is made for that OS version it should provide a certain Android version, and not stop at 4.1 or 4.4 or Android 8. Correct me if i am wrong :slight_smile:

We can get Anbox on free SFOS versions. That is the main argument.

3 Likes

Older kernels have no support for VMs or have very limited features, that’s the main issue I think.

1 Like

As an owner of an Xperia X, I’d love to see a working Anbox implementation to breathe some life back into the device. While I prefer Sailfish native apps, sometimes I have no other options but to run an Android app - which is becoming increasingly impossible with 4.4x.

6 Likes

Do not expect too much. Read the FAQ.

https://anbox.io/

1 Like

“If your application depends on particular hardware functionality like WiFi, Bluetooth or telephony, we need additional work to bridge those over from the host system”
sounds worse than AD…

I can confirm this for anbox on a Linux system.

If your application depends on particular hardware functionality like WiFi, Bluetooth or telephony, we need additional work to bridge those over from the host system

sounds worse than AD…

You can control those things in AD?

At least WiFi is available, telephony I don’t know, Bluetooth no