Am i going to get a functioning phone with Sailfish OS?

As a new user the thing I hate is the keyboard really unusable.
with an whitout haptic.
unfortunately keyboards is a main function and i cant really use Sailfish because of that …
how you can write a mail with this keyboard ?

Can you elaborate the problem with the keyboard please?

at least on my Xperia 10ii very very difficult to type because react very slowly. And is very short (i found a pach to let keyboard be taler but dont work) so is very easy to mispell. Turning off haptic was a small benefit (but you have to turn it off elsewhere!!) because is a little faster but if you type a text at normal speed you miss lot of letters, you have to tap very slow.

you see the thing is that if you have lower expectations then it’s fine but do not try to enforce them onto others.
Also from what I see you’re using Android apps on SFOS so from my point of view, you’re not the target that should be considered for SFOS future as you have plenty of phones that you can use.

you can try patchmanager and install BlackBerry keyboard patch. It’s not great but usability improves with SFOS keyboard by around 50% I think.

1 Like

I could add a few cents. On Xperia 10 in landscape mode keyboard is totally unusable. The “keys” that are at the edge of the phone are impossible to press without doing some gymnastic with the fingers. The solution would be to add a margin to the keyboard from both left and right side I would try to guess that a margin of one “key” size would probably improve the situation a lot.
For the portrait mode, it seems the blackberry keyboard patch helps a lot at least in my case and many other users of that patch. Not sure if this could be added as a system setting but I don’t think BB has patent on that.

I’ll try that! many thanks, I see patchmanager report is incompatible with my version. I can proceed?

I’m using it with 4.4.0.58 no problems so far.

Wouldn’t it be better to solve the issue at its root instead of apply a patch on it?
Or is it usual that Xperias 10II have a slow keyboerd?
To me, it seems that the kb function is a very lightweight program that should react instantly.
Is it as slow with XT9 suggestions disabled?

is slow if you (like me) are accustomed to write on Gboard that permit to write very very fast. If you write slow it work, btw the layout is terrible. With the BB patch is alot better!
But I think good keyboard is a must for a mobile OS
Now (for me) 2 thing remain:
1- find a gallery app that show ONLY picture taked and not the whole mess
2- try to use whatsapp backing up and restoring to Drive (alredy installed micro G)
Then I can start testing as a daily driver

1 Like

+1 for GBoard. Shame it’s crippled in Android. Intrigued about BB patch now.

But I think good keyboard is a must for a mobile OS

Agreed. I think Jolla should work to incorporate Gboard, and improve the API. Keep it open source and others can work on it too.

1- find a gallery app that show ONLY picture taked and not the whole mess

Is Gallery’s source not open ? I’d like a desktop application that interfaced with Sailfish and worked like Gallery.

Going to assume your extremely weird request is a challenge to see what you can get from my phone. I don’t care. I’m not a spy or a criminal. I’m not someone famous who has to protect their social media. ** Nor are there dick pics on my phone.
Good luck getting it out of my hands anyway. I’m still considering removing the existing encryption as I reboot my device a couple of times a week.

wondering where’s the problem with accepting @rinigus solution. Is it license issue, code quality, or something else? Probably this can be easily solved. I know Jolla doesn’t have resources and I perfectly understand that but I can’t quite understand why code contributions for example the ones from patchmanager are not considered. Again, a license issue, a patent issue?

I’d guess it’s lack of resources and giving users a choice. Upon installation, people should have choice of:

1. No encryption.
  2. Fingerprint lock only.
  3. 8-digit pin.
  4. Rinigus’ solution.

** Defender can remove all cookies which I presume stops most access to (social media) accounts.

1 Like

The open-source encryption solution allows you already to choose if you want encryption or not. You can also opt for several encryption keys. For example, one hardware assisted and one a backup long key without any hw assistance for recovery if hw got “broken”.

Fingerprint only is risky - what if it will forget the fingerprint. Haven’t seen it on my device, but some devices can have it.

1 Like

The BlackBerry patch from Patchmanager does exactly nothing on my Volla phone. No change in keyboard appearance or size. No additional adjustments found anywhere in settings. On the Sony X10 i didn’t yet try. To be precise, it is ‘BlackBerry like keyboard adjustments’ by llelectronics, V 1.0.4 compatible to 3.3.0.16 .
This is the one and only patch, that Patchmanager shows when searching for ‘Black’.

Did I make something wrong?

A very good point, I’ve had it myself. Nevertheless, the fingerprint is linked to the hash so maybe it can be used to significantly narrow the search space.
Alternatively, backup the data, maybe on Jolla’s servers.

Not really my area of expertise and somebody’s surely figured this out before.

For landscape mode you suppose to use your thumbs for typing(?). There is also a split keyboard option in settings for that reason.
Personally, i do not use landscape keyboard as it leaves me a tiny strip of text space to read.
I cannot comment for the blackberry keyboard. The main issue with the keyboard, at least for me, is the area of my finger that first touches the screen which is slightly lower than what i am usually aiming for.

Not sure how else I should type in this mode?

yes, even worse - tried.

Sorry if I go moderately OT but as a beginner I have found some article about WhatsApp -Gdrive backup, very different. Some user suggest MiniG others to install or not install GDrive
I plan to use sailfish for now as a second device. So is mandatory (for me) a bidirectional way to backup and restore WA on drive. Someone can help me finding right guide ?
Tks

It is probably off-topic, but just for spreading the knowledge: fingerprints are checked by separate daemon and the lock screen just gets a reply yes/no from it. If it is yes then it lets you to access the screen. As such there are no hashes in between. Fingerprints are stored in a separate location in Android layer and I would expect that we don’t have much meaningful access to it anyway. So, consider it as a parallel route for access, unrelated to PIN

4 Likes

For the Fairness of this topic i started; I’m reporting back after installing Sailfish.

i really like it; it works great,looks great and has/does everything i need and more.
but I’m not spoiled in this regard, as I’m coming from a 7 years old phone and OS(Blackberry leap)and do very little on my phone: calls, sms, mails, 2 Android apps, some Bluetooth music listening,little browsing and only using Data(no Wi-fi no GPS and no NFC) and the obvious notes taking etc.
also i haven’t gone through an update yet.

7 Likes