Am i going to get a functioning phone with Sailfish OS?

do not underestimate this fact. Let’s consider you’re a regular worker of some bigger company. You’re probably not a target but your company is. Having access to your phone may allow potential attacker to access the company you’re working for. It’s just an example.

You are right - that is a typical BYOD problem. Therefore my company insists in company phones with very limited rights for the individual user.

So what I am saying about SFOS refers to my personal phone

I have the signon-secrets.db file (SFOS 4.3.0.15) but I have to know the devel-su password to see it. If I cat it, amongst lots of gobbledygook is my email password.

That stuns me for a company that advertises privacy. On the other hand the filesystem is encrypted so if the phone is turned off it should not be possible to recover readable data off it. If I understand this right.

1 Like

true if the encryption is strong, this is not the case in sfos.

Maybe you haven’t seen the link @lolek provided above (How to: Unlock the encryption of your /home if you don't know your lock code (Bruteforce)).
It seems surprisingly easy to recover the password encryption.

Sorry folks, I have to correct myself /home/defaultuser/.config/signond/signon-secrets.db is there - on my 10 ii and SFOS 4.4

Just did not find it initially

You should claim an ‘office phone’ from your company and not use your private one.

3 Likes

IOS. Can I share an mp3 via bluetooth with an android phone. errr. not really.
IOS. Can I specify an mp3 file to use as a ring tone. errr, not really …

It’s all a question of what ‘functioning’ means to you. For me SFOS is highly functional, much more so than IOS or Android.

5 Likes

The short answer is ‘Yes’. The following answer is: that depends on what you want to do with it.
Sailfish lacks some features that iOS and Android have, but there are also features that are exclusive to Sailfish/Linux.
Downloading and storing files e.g.
I use Sailfish since Jolla 1 as my daily smartphone, wanted to throw it out of the window sometimes, for I am not tech savvy enough to do things that others do. Yet, Sailfish improved a lot.Some changes were not so nice (picking up a call), but overall it is a nice OS.
I am very pleased that GPS seems to work again (haven’t tried it in a car yet)
Easy sharing from an Android app or from the browser to Piepmatz is on my wish list, and video calls in Fernschreiber/ Telegra’me and Wire too.
Unlocking with fingerprint did never work on my XA2+, nor on my XA2. Perhaps with 10 III?

3 Likes

I second that. Way more functional and easier to use than competitors.

4 Likes

The port to 78 also started before 91 was out. It just takes a while for those to get released and all bugs fixed usually.

3 Likes

GPS seems to work finally again on XA2, at least with the recommend settings.
A picture taken with Jolla camera appears in the Gallery again just after it was taken and not after minutes.
Fingerprint always worked on my XA2 from the beginning (means since Sailfish Release for XA2 - but not sure if that was implemented in the very first version).
Battery life ist still confusing low, but still needs some testing cause I did much GPS related things today. So it was 31 % now after roundabout 8 hours (starting at 100 %).

So hopefully sailfish will be useable again on XA2 - but nevertheless the low specs of the device still keep me from using it as daily driver (so I’ll wait for 10 III).

My XA2 is pretty unusable, very short battery life. My XA2+ performs well, but cardslot is broken. Since the latest two updates the battery drains faster. Hoping the 10III will be better.

1 Like

My XA2 4.3.0.15 battery lasts around 2 days. Normal-moderate use: Some music, some calls+sms, 1 or 2 times on the web for 5 minutes, Some telegram + SFOS forum app, alarm, 2 or 2 x calendar.

2 Likes

I came back to Berlin yesterday from a trip to the Ardennes. I did the complete navigation with Here Wego on my XA2. It sometimes takes a few minutes to get a fix. I use GPS- navigation on a daily basis e.g. to avoid traffic jams on my way to work.
Here had some issues last year, so on our summer holidays I used Pure Maps/OSM.Scout through Germany, Austria and Italy.

3 Likes

Pure maps with mapbox as far as Croatia from Berlin (through Czech republic, Austria, Slovenia, Italy and back). Always served me well.

1 Like

My private opinion: definitely yes.
…excepted the VoLTE issue, while more and more 2G networks close down.

edit: and if you are willing to make compromises regarding the usage of Android apps. Some Android apps will not work.

3 Likes

On official devices it is weak. But open-source implementation used by some of the ports should be safe, as far as I know.

2 Likes

Thank you for your responses.
Should i go ahead now,with the current version; or wait for the next release?
meaning,is the current release good enough and free of major bugs?

and i saw this :
" Is 4.4.0 also a stop release?
– Yes. We will switch the rpm compression from xz to zstd on 4.5.0."

not sure what that means, but it seems major(i think?)
so maybe i should wait.

also i already DL 4.4.0.58, but couldn’t find a gpg signature to verify the integrity of the file.