Am i going to get a functioning phone with Sailfish OS?

You can install “The emoji+ keyboard”, from Storeman, to have colored emojis. I think ‘Unplayer’ or ‘QuasarMX’ are media players that respect your music folders

Unplayer: definitely yes, it respects folders. You can select a folder completely or make a selection inside the folder which songs should be played and which not. Also you can create your own playlists.

forget about Sailfish as a daily driver. And forget you’ll get anything even close to BBOS. Security doesn’t exists, the encryption is there but it’s very weak. There’s inof on forum how to crack it and how many minutes it takes. Same for general phone protection, only pin or fingerprint - both are insecure compared to what is on BBOS10. Browser is even more problematic than on the BlackBerry. System updates tend to break working things. There’s a paid option where you’ll get automatic updates, predictive text input, exchange support, 64bit os support, customer support.
How much you’ll need it it depends on you, personally I’m still using Saiflish as a test device cause I can’t trust it so much I did BB.
There are for example still things that doesn’t work on some devices, RT Alarms are on of it. And for customer support - well there are complains on this forum on that. Not sure how big is the problem but the fact it’s there and users are paying for this, doesn’t look good.

1 Like

so it doesn’t look all that bad after all. :+1:

It’s true that the positive feedback I made didn’t take count of security.
For sure, I don’t want big companies to scan, categorize me and make money with my data at all.
In the same time, I am not an enough important person with enough confidential informations in my job to need high security.

But I’d be very curious to try that. Do you remember what thread it was?

well keep in mind that with such weak security, storing even mail credentials on that phone is very risky. As someone may access those and you’ll be in trouble.

Hmm, ok. Said that way, I should perhaps be a bit more aware.
Are these security concerns about phone access through internet or physical access only?
Thanks for the link.

this one is a problem because of a dated browser. Happily with 4.4 it’s a bit better, now the browser is only two years old instead of more. We’re on ESR78, currently FF is on 98.

the encryption I mentioned is psychical access so in case someone steal a phone from you or you lose it.

1 Like

This recalls me that mail passwords are stored without protection in /home/defaultuser/.config/signond/signon-secrets.db

are you sure ?
i cannot see any file bearing that name on my phone

On your phone, I don’t know but on mine, I am positive.
I am on a flashed 4.3.0.15.
If you upgraded from some older version, might it be under /home/nemo/.config/signond/signon-secrets.db?
Have you got something in /home/defaultuser/.config/signond/?

Just checked with my 10 ii, 4.4: there is no signond in /home/defaultuser/.config/ and accordingly no signon-secrets.db data base

FF ESR is on 91 I think.
If I’m not completely mistaken ESR 78 was directly followed by ESR 91 (in late 2021 I think) so we’re only one ESR major release behind.

7 Likes

That is correct, AFAIK

I am using my Xperia 10 with SFOS 4.4 (paid license with Android Support) as my daily driver almost without problems - at least no more problems than I have with iOS (which I therefore do not use anymore).

BUT: this is because I feel familiar with SFOS and know what to do if something does not work right away. It is helpful to have access to everything on the phone (which is not the case with e.g. iOS and that’s why I am oftentimes lost on my iPhone)

1 Like

Translation: Don’t use SFOS if you are a spy. :slightly_smiling_face:
Except for maybe if you are a Russian spy, as the iOS or Android alternative will be even worse than not having proper encryption (which still requires physical access to your device to be broken).

1 Like

I’m a little confused that people state to have working GPS on XA2. There is so much discussion here on the forum cause of the GPS problems on XA2 (which in my cause stopped working when switching from Sailfish 3.x to Sailfish 4).

if it’s like that then it’s great! Thank you for the info.

Unplayer is good and had been better than Jolla Player, but unfortunatly the devs of Unplayer disabled Support for ALAC (Apple lossless) files some time ago, even if the codec is installed ob the device (and needs to be done by yourself) you cant play them (Jolla Player does) . I commented that both in Jolla Store and in Storeman but without reaction.

Not working even with @nekron suplpatch?
For me, XA2 4.3.0.15, it fixed it (with google help alas).

2 Likes