AAS does not have immediate access to external storage

REPRODUCIBILITY: 80% (often)
OSVERSION: 4.5.0.24
HARDWARE: Sony Xperia XA2 - h3113 - h3113 - 1.0.0.14 - armv7hl
UI LANGUAGE: English (US) (user: en_US, os: en_US.utf8)
REGRESSION: no

DESCRIPTION:

When Android App Support starts up, it seems to not immediately provide access to external storage. This causes apps like Syncthing and Aliucord (loads plugins from external dirs) to fail if configured to autostart or started immediately after AAS is started

PRECONDITIONS:

I have autostart enabled for the Android version of Syncthing (which can be a bit difficult due to the bug of certain Android submenus not rendering properly) but I can reliably reproduce it if I start apps with this problem soon after AAS is started instead of waiting roughly 30 seconds.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Start up Android App Support.
  2. Observe if Android app that requires access to external storage (e.g. Syncthing) fails if immediately started.

EXPECTED RESULTS:

Android app starts up and immediately has access to external storage.

ACTUAL RESULTS:

Android app fails to start or gives error message due to external storage not immediately being accessible.

MODIFICATIONS:

• Patchmanager: yes
  • OpenRepos: yes
  • Chum: yes
  • Other: none specified

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Device Owner User: defaultuser
Home Encryption: enabled

the initial version of this bug report was created using Bugger 0.9.10+git2
1 Like

You’re using an Android syncthing app on SFOS? :person_facepalming:

Generally:
It seems 50% of “Bug Reports” are about SFOS AppSupport not providing a 100% equivalent to Android installed on bare metal. It will never do that! And if that’s all you want you’re much better off with e.g. LineageOS.

1 Like

I’d love to use native Syncthing but it gives permissions issues with the Obsidian notes app. The same problem that someone described here: Android app file ownership (Obsidian) not default_user

1 Like

So you cannot use native Syncthing because it causes problems with another Android app?

I looked at the link, and yes, Android uses a different ownership/permission model which might clash with SFOS. In other words, you shouldn’t use a native app to change things under ~/android-storage.

I can’t be arsed to figure out what this Obsidian app is good for, but generally speaking: whatever you want to achieve is most likely possible on SFOS, but often you need to take a different approach than on some-other-os.

So, what do you really want to achieve? Also see here.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I still believe this is a bug with AAS, it’s not just about Syncthing. However, I guess you’re right and I will look for alternatives to work around this problem.

Thank you for the advice.

You’re giving up? Disappointing.