[4.1.0.24] How to delete the command history in Fingerterm?

In the terminal of SFOS 3 I was able to delete commands in the history using for instance history -d 123. Now, using SFOS 4.1, this does not work anymore (while I appreciate that the teminal now remembers commands again)

Have you already tried if deleting the shell history file may work?

rm ~/.ash_history

1 Like

Thank you for the hint - it does not work. Plus, this would delete the entire history. If I only want to delete some lines (commands) for cleaning up the history a little bit a bash command like history -d would be nice.

I just tried it out for you:
1. open fingerterm
2. mv .ash_history .ash_history.old
3. close fingerterm
→ history is gone

you can then edit .ash_history.old to your hearts content, after that:

1. open fingerterm
2. cp .ash_history.old .ash_history
3. close fingerterm
-> history is back
1 Like

Thank you again! I just wonder why removing ask_history did not work for me (after rm ~/.ash_history it still persisted). I’ll check and tell …

did you actually close fingerterm after having deleted ~/.ash_history?

1 Like

Oh yeah, closing and reopening would be the key.
After having removed/renamed the correct shell hist file:
~/.bash_history
Please note the ‘b’…

–edit
or did it change from 3 to 4 (no full bash, just busybox)?

1 Like

it definitely changed from 3 to 4 … that’s why my old habits do not apply anymore …

you and @unmaintained are right: finally ash_history disappeared (and was created anew with the next fingerterm session). I simply used the file browser to remove the file (instead of rm from fingerterm). So i might have simply not closed fingerterm …

under 4.1 it is the ash_history (without b) - I suppose because busybox is not bash

1 Like

If you want it back:
pkcon remove busybox-symlinks-bash
and full blown bash with .bash_history will be back.

1 Like