How to add (not just link) a new telephone number from the call-log to an existing contact?

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100%
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.0.1.48
HARDWARE (XA2, Xperia 10…): XA2, Xperia 10
UI LANGUAGE: German
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): Yes

DESCRIPTION:

When trying to add a new telephone number from the call-log (i.e. the call history) to an existing contact, I do a long click on the telephone number and the context menue appears. In the context menue, I can choose “create a contact” and in the next sub-menue I have the choice to create a “Link to contact”. Thereafter, the new telephone number is listed under the contact BUT when editing the contact I am asked which contact I want to edit, the older, already existing contact (without the new telephone number) or the “new”, linked contact only being the new telephone number. Apparently, the new telephone number was not added to the existing contact but a new contact was created that only is linked to the old contact instead of becoming a part of the existing contact (as expected).

PRECONDITIONS:

yet unkown telephone number in the call log

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. open call log of the telephone app
  2. select a telephone number that shall be merged to an existing contact
  3. long click the telephone number to open the context menue
  4. select “save as contact”
  5. next sub-menue: “link to contact” or “new contact”, select “link to contact”
  6. look up the contact with the added telephone number, from pull down menue select “edit”: you will be asked which contact to edit

EXPECTED RESULT:

the new telephone number is becoming a part of the existing contact (merged to the existing contact), instead of creating a new contact that only is linked to the existing contact

In other words: instead of “link to contact” I would expect the option “add to contact”

ACTUAL RESULT:

New contacts are created insted of adding the telephone number to the existing contact

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

(Please ALWAYS attach relevant data such as logs, screenshots, etc…)

3 Likes

I’m unable to reproduce it on my X10 III on 4.5. Do you still experience it?

I just tried it - the “bug” is still there.

How to reproduce:

• link a yet “unknown” telephone number from the call log to an existing contact
  • open the contact (it appears as one contact)
  • try editing the contact: there will be two contacts listed, i.e. the previously existing contact and the new umber (as a different contact) that you just added to the “old” contact.

It is 100% reproducible

1 Like

Oh, I see now. Actually, the linked contact is created but hided and created once you unlink both contacts.

Confirming.
And even more strange, the way to unlink is not very obvious:
-Open contact
-Select link (should be link/unlink)
-Click the number you want to delete

A workaround to really merge the linked contacts:
-Share the contact (e.g. Mms to self)
-Delete the contact
-Import the contact

2 Likes

This looks like the feature is working as intended but the description of the feature is misleading, right?

Do you have suggestions on how to fix this?

Once I realised this odd ‘link to contact’ thing, I started copy after long tap in the call history and opening contacts, select editing the desired contact, add telefon number and inserting the copied number - as a woraround…