Android-side Download Manager - notifications bug

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100%
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.3.0.15
HARDWARE (XA2, X10, X10 II, …): XA2 Ultra Dual SIM
UI LANGUAGE: Polish, English
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): Don’t know

DESCRIPTION:

The Android’s built-in (system) Download Manager has a bug on SFOS when it comes to notifications, which kind of “pile up”. For each new file downloaded by an Android app using Android’s Download Manager, not only notification for the currently downloaded file is shown but for all previously downloaded files, one by one. When I download - say - the 10th file and its download ends, I am then shown notifications about 9 previously downloaded files and eventually the current 10th one. Even shutting down and restarting Android support doesn’t help as it still remembers all those notifications and re-shows them. The only solution I found is to delete the cache/user data of Download Manager using Android settings.

PRECONDITIONS:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. On Android, using an app that utilizes the Android Download Manager, download a file - when it finishes downloading you’re shown a notification.
  2. Download another file - when it ends you’ll first see a notification of the previously downloaded file, then notification of the current file.
  3. And so on.

EXPECTED RESULT:

Only one notification about the currently downloaded file is shown.

ACTUAL RESULT:

Notifications of all files downloaded using the Android’s Download Manager are endlessly remembered and shown one by one upon each new download.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

(Please ALWAYS attach relevant data such as logs, screenshots, etc…)

1 Like

Have you an example of an android app using the Android Download Manager?

The only one that comes to my mind at the moment is

If you click on an image or movie and select to download it from the menu, it uses Android’s download manager for that.

As for the bug, tapping the notification about successful download (which displays the downloaded image in Gallery app) dismisses the notification and it doesn’t come back. But it is not a good thing to have to always open every downloaded file just to cancel notifications which otherwise keep being shown over and over again.

The app is not really translated (some text are in French, other in English and the rest in Polish). Is it possible to provide all steps to reproduce this bug using Obrazkowo?

Thank you very much!

Basically, tap and hold on any image, and from the menu shown select the one before last (second from the bottom) option “Zapisz obrazek” (i.e. “Save the image”). When it finishes downloading, a popup notification will be shown. Do not touch it, let it close by itself after a few seconds.

Then repeat it to download another image. When it finishes downloading, see how two notifications are shown one after another instead of just one (not only the second image’s notification is shown but also the previously downloaded image’s notification is repeated). Keep saving more images, and you’ll end up with - say - 10 notifications being repeated one after another.

You need to either dismiss each notification manually when it is shown, or go to the SFOS events screen and clear all those notifications from there, to make them stop being remembered and re-displayed eternally.

1 Like

Thanks for the bug report, and also for the careful explanation of how to reproduce it. That’s always super-helpful.

I’ve created an internal bug report from this and tagged this as “tracked”.