Xperia 10 V support? Is SFOS to be continued at all?

that would be interesting, thank you.

You can “design” around that i believe. The notification doesn’t have to be on the same spot or be static.

4 Likes

Holy moly, what a bummer.:frowning:

2 Likes

Plastic(is that a plus?) finish

I would like to say: yes. These glass backplates tend to crack easily, and then you have to deal with sharp edges. Also, they are prone to scratches like the plastic versions and add more weight to the unit.

When I have the choice, I always choose smartphones with plastic bodies/backplates, such as the Sony XZ1 Compact, Sony X Compact, Sony XA2, and now Sony XZ2 Compact.

5 Likes

I don’t know, I like III’s glass back. It’'s awesome.

PS I never use a case.

2 Likes

As long as the design isn’t slippery there is no problem. Ie the rounded edges of the xz2 compact make it less grippy.

Agreed.
Sony tried something new with the XZ2 Compact, but they might be better off sticking with its default design.

I think the address in the “About product” section has to be changed :face_with_monocle:

And they are slippery A.F. Placed e.g. on a sofa the 10 III travels by itself towards the edge and beyond. I was really lucky to catch it a few times before it fell. Now it is permanently in a TPU case, so it actually doesn’t matter what its back is made of :slight_smile:

1 Like

I absolutely agree. Phones with a glass backside are slippery and tend to move on their own. I never understood why phones nowadays are that thin that you hardly can grab them and are that slippery that they tend to break before the phone is completely setup.

So most people start to put ugly silicone cases around their phones immediately after they bought them and even so they adore how beautiful this phone looks, they never look at it again in it’s original state. Sometimes I have doubts, that humans are intelligent…

2 Likes

I was talking about the glass, the one the 10 III has on its back. Beautiful but slippery as ****. Sorry if I didn’t express it clearly enough.

Thats the reason i deleted my previous post.

Is there a way to get a notification when it becomes certain that 10 V will be officially supported? It would help to be able to buy a device while those are still easily availalable. I would not buy a Sony unless it is certain that a SFOS port with the official add-ons will appear.

1 Like

So most people start to put ugly silicone cases around their phones immediately after they bought them and even so they adore how beautiful this phone looks, they never look at it again in it’s original state. Sometimes I have doubts, that humans are intelligent…

Since I started using Sailfish OS, I no longer use bumpers or cases. They disrupt the side swipe gestures and i take better care of my smartphone. Mine has not fallen to the ground since then.

Using the device as the manufacturer designed it.

3 Likes

Yeah, fully agreed. The 10 III at least has that plastic frame around it which gives some grip, whereas the XA2 Ultra’s metal frame is so thin, rounded, slippery and inconvenient to handle that I really admire people who manage to use it without any casing. Maybe they have sticky hands :slight_smile: Unfortunately, it’s true that all those cases are ugly and hide from us beautiful (but counter-useful) design of those phones…

As for the edge/side gestures, I somehow learned to use them with the casing without any major problems. But of course it may depend on individual casing.

1 Like

This is as close as it gets to official, the real official announcement will be probably when they start selling licenses for it in the store, with most likely a blog post etc as usual, might want to wait for that to be 100% sure

3 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply. Pity. I’m just afraid that I’ll miss a blog post until getting a device becomes a pita. Joining the Jolla wagon could be easier.

I wouldn’t switch either, but now I feel a bit dumb after I bought a second 10 III as a spare in case my phone breaks down, because it wasn’t clear if there would be a successor anytime soon.
There seems to be a version of the 10 V with 8 GB RAM, this is somewhat interesting, but I don’t understand in which markets it is available.

I once tried to use USB3 to transfer data on my 10 III, and I had the impression the phone wasn’t really able to deal with the high transfer rate to the point it somehow became unresponsive or at least very laggy. Haven’t tried it again since then.

2 Likes

XQ-DC72 is the model number of the 8GB variant, it isn’t the one available from Sony UK, Germany, or Finland, when I checked their official stores this weekend, but it is listed on the Hong Kong website.

Searching for that model number, or “Xperia 10 V 8GB” on ebay or Amazon should bring you listings (at least in the UK versions), though on the former quite a few are shipping from China which brings its own risks of Customs charges so take that into consideration.

This is all great news, but I think we all make the mistake reading the specs of the phone and assuming they will be available for SFOS too (e.g. 4500mAh battery on 10III performs equally to a smaller size battery on another model, same issue with the camera specs shows 4 cameras, in reality we have only 2, etc).

I might buy a license to support jolla but I will wait before deciding to upgrade my 10III.

1 Like