XA2 on Verizon Question

Hello. I know this isn’t officially supported but I’m hoping someone will be able to help. Sailfish is what I’m hoping to use for a trusted OS that isn’t tied up in Google or Apple’s systems.

I bought an excellent condition XA2 and installed the trial version without issue. The phone starts and works great with WLAN and everything seems normal. However, it won’t activate on the Verizon network. I tried listing the IMEI on Verizon’s site and it says the device is supported and to just install the SIM card and it should work.

I have a phone that I used the SIM out of that was a working S6 Galaxy. The phone works fine with that SIM but the SIM won’t activate in the XA2 Sailfish phone.

It searches networks and shows like 4 or 5 of them. It shows

Verizon US 480 Extended US 410 Roaming US 260 311490 US 490 313100 US 100

I left it on ‘select network automatically’ and it keeps saying “Denied”. I tried selecting a network manually and it says “Problem connecting”.

The cellular data section says “4G LTE Contract” and it’s greyed out and says “Disabled”. I can’t enable it that I can see and choosing ‘Mobile Data’ and ‘Connect’ never connects the device.

Anyway, it would be great to get this thing working if anyone has any advice or can help.

Calling Verizon they said that they added the device IMEI and it should work.

Thank you!

Hey pale,

Yes, the XA2 is FULLY COMPATIBLE with the Verizon network (VoLTE, data, texts, all work with no issue), but ONLY as long as you have the factory android image installed. I have been using one for quite some time.

My suggestion would be re-install android back on your XA2 and make sure the Verizon SIM works with android first. If it doesn’t, you might have to either call Verizon or visit a store to get the SIM working or maybe even get a new Verizon SIM and have that one activated to the XA2. Once you get the SIM activated and working with android, then re-flash phone back to Sailfish. Please note that voice calls and texting will NOT work, however, as Sailfish does not currently support VoLTE (and might not ever support it on the XA2). With Sailfish installed, the only thing that seems to be working is data only :confused:

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Well that’s a RIP. :frowning:

I’m only doing this to get Sailfish running and get out of the Google ecosystem. I had read that volte wasn’t required on Verizon’s network yet and phones could still run without it. I guess that’s not true :confused: .

Did you try running Sailfish and couldn’t get it to work either?

I’ve accumulated 3 different XA2s over the years and have been tinkering with SIMS from about every USA carrier there is (MVNOs included). My main XA2 has android 9 with Verizon SIM. The other 2 have Sailfish installed. One is basically a wi-fi only device and the other one has Red Pocket Mobile SIM (uses ATTs network). For now, voice, data, and SMS all work with Red Pocket mobile on Sailfish XA2 but that will be changing in less than a month when the 3G network becomes obsolete in February…

2 Likes

Man :frowning:

lol

I guess the next thing I need to try is Calyx with a Pixel.

Well I appreciate the help. Keeps me from spinning my wheels.

Thank you!

You could also try some of the Android based Privacy Projects like /e/ for example :slight_smile:

There are many more but I think this is the one known by most people! :wink:

e Foundation - deGoogled unGoogled smar…

How much is there to clean up in AOSP? I feel like degoogling and hardening are extremely zoomer memes, is sailfishos degoogled/ungoogled/hardened according to e foundation?

1 Like

I’d argue the movement is more from a gen-X perspective, from people who have been there at the precipice of the internet, before Google, Microsoft and other companies had domineering control over what we do online. Zoomers? I’m afraid we’ve lost them to the hypnotic trance of Tiktok. Island bois, Kermit the frog and that garbage.

AOSP is degoogled by design, at least as far as we know. None of Google’s central proprietary features should show up in a build of AOSP. Many of Google’s apps start as AOSP apps that they then release with their special sauce. AOSP Keyboard eventually becomes Gboard, for example, the camera app starts out as a barebones shooter before Google adds the features and their post-processing for their Pixel phones. /e/ Foundation attempts to retain compatibility with most Android apps and Google services without making them mandatory like Google services would be on the average smartphone. microG replaces those services, none of Google’s servers are looked upon with /e/ including NTP, DNS, GPS, search, etc. That being said, you also deal with the compromise that you’re putting your trust in /e/ and their services if you’re so inclined.

Sailfish OS is neither ungoogled, degoogled, or hardened. It is plain and simply not googled. You can synchronize Google accounts for email, calender, phone contacts and the like, but unlike Android, Sailfish does not freely transmit that and more. The Android Appsupport could be considered an ungoogled experience since it is built from AOSP, but it’s tweaked by Jolla to work with Sailfish directly. Many users have successfully used both Google Play services or microG in Android Appsupport to handle what apps they do need, but much like Android Appsupport itself, it is not a requirement within Sailfish OS. Many people are perfectly content to use Sailfish without Android apps at all, and many who do use Android apps may only need it for a few select apps that do not need Google services. There’s also the advantage that you can disable Android Appsupport at your discretion, and still have a fully functional smartphone. I personally use microG since I do try to use Sailfish as my daily driver, and I do use a few apps that are either stubborn or refuse to function without GSF.

I’ll say that Sailfish will not be for everyone, and if you use a lot of external services, you might be best left to stay on the stock Android image that comes with your phone, or explore one of these alternatives like /e/OS or iode. If you aren’t super dependent on these services, or you can find alternatives on Sailfish, be they native clients or webapps, Sailfish is definitely viable. As for a Verizon phone and Sailfish? The only chance will be a community port, since Verizon hasn’t really gone full-mast on GSM, and even then, Verizon’s particular requirements will pose significant barriers to compatibility. I had a similar issue for a while, using Sprint as my carrier. Many phones didn’t have custom ROMs for Sprint models, I just ended up on a Blackberry Q10 until I finally had the option to switch. Whatever route you choose, hopefully you enjoy a good several years with your smartphone and whatever choice you go with, be it stock, AOSP, Lineage, /e/OS, Sailfish, Ubuntu Touch or any other choice out there.

3 Likes

I don’t know about AOSP as pure AOSP when you would build it yourself, but for example LineageOS that is built upon AOSP still uses a lot of Google Servers for this part :

As shown here :