Whatsapp on a Sony Xperia X iii, scanning a QR-code to enable whatsapp web on my computer is not working

REPRODUCIBILITY: every time
OS VERSION: 4.5
HARDWARE: Sony Xperia 10 iii
UI LANGUAGE: English US
REGRESSION:

DESCRIPTION:

Whatsapp versions 2.23.6.76 and 6.23.8.6 (Beta)
Linking a new whatsapp web device by scanning the QR-code on the computer screen (Firefox browser on Pop OS LINUX) is not working.
(It was working on this same Xperia phone running Android)

PRECONDITIONS:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. computer browser pointing to https://web.whatsapp.com/
  2. open Whatsapp on the Sailfish phone, select “Link New Device”
  3. try to scan the qr-code from the computer screen with the phone camera

EXPECTED RESULT:

The barcode should be read and whatsapp web would work on the computer

ACTUAL RESULT:

Nothing happens, as if the phone is not recognizing the qr-code

MODIFICATIONS:

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Tried using a flashlight to influence the camera exposure because it was looking a bit too bright, it didn’t work either

I tried this with the same phone and with the same WhatsApp version (2.36.6.76) and scanning the QR-code works almost instantly. Have you enabled QR code recognition in Settings → Apps → Camera?

EDIT: By the way, have tried rebooting the phone? Sometimes other apps can reserve the camera.

Yes, QR code recognition is On in Settings and I have rebooted the phone.

The camera app is reading much smaller qr-codes on paper but it ignores whatsapp qr-codes no matter how much I tweak zoom and exposure

(I checked that the whatsapp qr-codes are working with my old iphone camera app)

The camera of the Xperia 10 III has some serious focussing issues. Try holding the phone v e r y steady.
That helps at least with Threema’s QR-codes.

The camera on my Xperia works fine on Sailfish and scans qr-codes without too much effort, just not the whatsapp-web one. It looks more like a qr-code related software issue.

For testing I took a picture of a small qr-code and displayed it on my computer screen. The camera app reads this small and badly lit qr-code with ease, from the same computer screen where the whatsapp-web qr-code is ignored.

Fixed!!! Firefox Dark Reader extension was causing the problem.

(somehow an iPhone is OK with a negative image qr-code)