What actually is Aurora OS and who (if anybody) is using it?

More Aurora phones are coming to the market. Latest news (sorry for finding it this late):

“Marvel-Distribution” is preparing to launch into production a smartphone based on the domestic operating system “Aurora”. The launch of production should take place in the summer, and the first smartphone may come out in the fall

More details at: Hunchmag article

4 Likes

These devices are intended only for corporate and government sector. Don’t have too high expectations about it. But the tendency is nice, I agree.

1 Like

So it is not possible to buy in Russia as a private person, an AuroraOs Phone?
Anyway, if it is used only by the government/russian corporate sector(which is still the government) I would expect not to be able to activate such a phone if you do not have the proper credentials.

I don’t know ‘who’ but it seems that becoming profitable was also spurred by work in Automotive. Presumably Android integration in onboard entertainment systems.

Aurora OS expanding their beta test program:

https://4pda.to/2022/03/24/397949/razrabotchiki_os_avrora_rasshirili_programmu_beta_testirovaniya/

5 Likes

he i wanted to know if the aurora os project is still going ?
and if it is didn’t jolla cut ties with russia ?
are they still developing for the aurora os the same way the aurora os devs still contribute to sfos ?
and what are your thoughts about the aurora os is it secure ?
or will it bring more proprietary components to sfos ?

2 Likes
2 Likes

The keyboard looks pretty cool. There are some interesting differences (based on these screenshots).

1 Like

Good questions. Jolla cannot be an EU-funded and a Russian-owned company at the same time. Buying the assets from the Russian owner will be very expensive because Russia is demanding huge percentages from western corporations.
I have no need to use Aurora OS and find the connection between Aurora OS/Rostelecom and Sailfish troublesome at the moment.

pictures of upcomnig Aurora 5.0 on a tablet.

2 Likes

So sad putin had to start the war. Nice improvements, I’m only worried about the whole new user interface, i like swipe very much

2 Likes

Doesn’t look that particular different to me.
And yes the war sucks and I wonder for how long they gonna keep it up for no reason.

This article

references this one

which in turn references these two articles:

and this really excellent one

(Note that all four aforementioned articles are translated to English by Google when you click on them.)

The last one provides a very good and concise history of Sailfish OS, Aurora OS and the collaboration between Jolla and Rostelecom / its subsidiary OMP!

Now I wish that some customer of Aurora OS 5 executes his right provided by most FLOSS-licenses to demand the source code and publishes it.
Mind that this is very unlikely, because Aurora OS primarily targets governmental institutions and secondarily corporations, not private users.

1 Like

Maybe we can buy the tablet?

What are those improvements, actually? Couldn’t spot anything really new on those pictures. Media controls on the cover definitely aren’t new :wink:

Okay i imagined the described improvements and yes there is a patch for exactly these media control buttons. But i guess they would update the browser engine again for example

I can spot “RISC-V” in between these cyrillic letters. Are they moving to a new platform?

nobody is moving there, cause riscV CPUs are not on par for now (and at aleast for 2-4 years more).
but everybody is thinking about it

2 Likes

The possible future of Aurora OS: 3.5 more years of development and 300 billions rubles of investment (the link points to a google translation in English of the article from business-gazeta.ru)

1 Like

Interesting read! But what do they plan? Ban Google and iOS by 2030? Or how do they intend to make the public sector move to AuroraOS? SailfihOS is not that particular superior to Android or iOS except for that it is open and considered to be more privacy focused due to missing trackers, both features that we probably can’t expect from AuroraOS…