Sailfish X devices - NEWBIE questions

My Xperia X doesn’t work in foreign countries - phone calls & data - but with Xperia 10 no problems. With X10 I made a single call before installing sfos, with X I didn’t.

With X10 finnish bank apps work, with X not.

Specify foreign countries, and used networks (technology).
Or/and look for the basebands of your X (5121/5122?) and the supported frequencies and compare.
(I doubt it has to do with the one call. This is sometimes required but on SIM level).

Different android layer 4.4 against 8.1

Since the update to Rokua (3.3.0.16) I have problems with the “Android app functionality in the background”. The cause seems to be Aliendalvik itself.
So far I haven’t found a solution. The Xperia X was flashed with the previous version (3.2.1.20 / Nuuksio). This works without any significant problems. (For details: https://together.jolla.com/question/227707/no-android-app-functionality-in-the-background-xperia-x-sailfish-33016/).
(I have no significant problems with the Xa2.)

How do you get 20MP in 4:3 with the XA2 in Advanced Camera? Max resolution is 5504x3104. Which is 17MP and almost 16:9 (172:97). In 4:3 i get only 4000x3000 .

I have 5984x3392 (187:106) as resolution option in advanced camera

I haven’t been keeping a record, but if I remember correctly:

Jolla - no problems
X - no connection in Austria, München, Paris, Tallin, but Malta worked
X10 - no problems, used so far in Tallinn, Austria (Ischgl), Zürich

My operator is Moi.

Hi.
I strongly advise you not to take an XA2,
The “hardware problem” of swipes is very annoying with SFOS.
And I also have a lot of problems with the WLAN, although it worked fine on android.

And I am very happy with the XA2 and chose it for the screen resolution, 16:9, while the 10 has 18:9 or 21:9. I remember the 10 was less wide than the XA2.

I am not happy at all with battery life on Xperia 10.

I am not happy with x10 overall quality: display does not work and you have to bend device to work again. Now during bending the case broke.
i had xperia x for 3+ years. X10 is kinda broken after one
xperia x broke due to my fault. Images are good on any anroid 8 based device, while.they were realy poor on X.

Apps for public transport in Austria and Sharenow (car sharing app) I remember.

I’ve had XA2 Dual-Sim for two years now and Sailfish ever since the beginning of 2019 when it was available. Sure there are several “annoying” bugs that you stumble on when you are using the device everyday. However, mine has worked relatively well with no bigger issues. I think that using Sailfish as everyday driver requires patience. I also had Xperia X and Sailfish on it during the 2018. Nowadays if I compare X vs XA2 the XA2 wins since it just simply works better now and AOSP lets you use more Android apps.

The most annoying bug in my opinion is the 4G battery drain issue which means that even 4G standby drains 2-4% per hour. It seems that not everyone is affected with this bug but I used several months XA2 with stock Android and no drain, my provider hasn’t even changed. I’ve tackled this issue by using Situations app and device now switches to 3G when screen off. Still happy owner!

1 Like

My XperiaX has massive battery drain only when i use Android-Apps. Thats why i stop the Android-Support every time after i had used them. To be honest, i have to say that i dont use WhatsApp ;-).

Did you try the SIM with another (not Sailfish) phone?

Thank you very much for the answers so far.

As I read out here, there are always bugs that are sometimes more or less well solved.

This should not happen with a quite mature operating system. Especially not such different bugs and little things that cannot be removed for years. The lte forum is full of such messages.

What should I think about it?

Should I really switch to Android or iOS?

After all, my Aqua Fish said goodbye last Saturday and does not work anymore. [At the moment I want to do the factory reset, but I can’t get any further]. (Factory reset - recovery not working)(Maybe someone can help?)

With the original camera app this may be, but if you download the Advanced Camera app from Jolla store, then the camera gets it’s full potential. Maximal pixel res. that I can choose on my Xperia 10 is 4208 x 3120 pixel and quality (colours, sensitivity, sharpness,…) I consider as very good.

I don’t recognise that problem in my XperiaX. Android support is constantly on.

Maybe it depends on a particular android app, that sends data in the background, or starts other power consuming processes.

I had the Xperia X and it worked in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Poland, The Netherlands, France and UK. Early SF versions sometimes needed a network restart after crossing the border.

Hello,

I use an XA2 with version 4.1.0.24.
Since I don’t need Android apps, I can’t say anything about it.
The thought behind the change to another OS was just to go away from Android /IOS.

The battery level is about 45% in the evening.
Read the release notes carefully. Otherwise, GPS can also sometimes not provide results.
GPS fix takes me about 15 minutes. With luck, sometimes done in 5 minutes.

Mobile Internet or WLAN are very stable.

The standard camera takes a good picture at 17 MP resolution, but I do not have high demands on the camera.

I have installed “Storeman” as an alternative store.

Possibly read before what it has to do with the resize of the root partition.
I forgot and do not know if I can do that now without losing data.

Greetings
Steffen