Sailfish Community News, 22nd April, Xperia 10 II, QMF

I guess this will disappoint quite a number of people when they realize all the old apps won’t be running on their shiny new phone.

4 Likes

there were some threads to remove unmaintained apps from jolla shop. So this will be this moment I think.

3 Likes

Well, some unmaintained apps do still work perfectly to this day. :wink:

10 Likes

So long as there is working Alien Dalvik, we can make do with some Android apps until we get native, sadly there is no indication when will it be available so it might be quite rough for a while…

1 Like

Right now I can not even order a pizza without powering up AD, so unless they also update the browser this will be some hard weeks should they decide to delay the release of the paid version :smiley:

1 Like

That is great news! Looking forward to it for all the sailors waiting for it.

Just another related question: You say that the Xperia 10 II will be the first to officially support 64-bit Sailfish. However, will this compatibility also be made available for rather recent legacy devices like XA2 oder Xperia 10?

First, find the authors, repos if possible.
Second contact them and ask to take over.
Third, rebase, update, package for aarch64.

and just to blow my own horn: Tobias audiocut, aka audioworks, is now also in the Jolla store. Python depends are local to the app and the use of local ffmpeg seems reliable. Yipee!

8 Likes

Don’t keep us in suspense! I keep reloading this page today to see if there is any new news :smiley:

2 Likes

Flypig and Jolla - thank you for starting this community news. It is very nice to have periodic news coming out that covers not only what Jolla is doing, but the community is doing. I spend a lot of time for work in Ubiquiti forums reading since that is the only place to also glean information about bug fixes, new releases, etc, so I am quite accustomed to having to be patient and tell the non-techies in my life who constantly bombard me with questions about when such-and-so will come out/be fixed that I do not know. But now with the news coming from you via these news posts, I am so pleased to be armed with more information to answer such inquiries.

I am not a programmer, but I absolutely enjoyed reading the detailed explanation you shared from dcaliste in this last news posting. That level of insight into what is happening behind the scene was quite refreshing. Thank you and dcaliste for taking the time to write that.

Thank you for also reviewing apps. I don’t go browsing apps much and pretty much have what I need on my phone as a daily driver and go on with life. But as I read about apps, I am surprised, honestly, what development is going on in the community and come to use new apps. Thank you.

10 Likes

Let’s see if the four superb cameras of the 10 II are supported as good as the water resistance.

Well, I’m a bit curious about how well the cameras will perform, too, given the fact the whole device costs less than a memory card for my other camera.

1 Like

I’d already be happy if they would perform under Sailfish as good as they perform under Android :wink:

3 Likes

If I remember it right one of the things with older Sony phones, like e.g. Xperia X and Xperia XA2, was once you opened the boot loader some sort of “secret sauce” disappeared from the cameras lowering the picture quality and making the transition to Sailfish OS somewhat irreversible.
This is, allegedly, different with the Xperia 10 variants and, for what I’ve seen, the image quality of the Xperia 10 on Sailfish was superior to it’s predecessors, especially in difficult light conditions.
I never used any of them with Android so can’t really tell what changed after flashing SFOS.

2 Likes

Nice to read! I didn’t knew that. Thanks for letting us know.
I’ve flashed my friend’s XA2 back to Android since she had a few drawbacks with Sailfish and the photo quality was much better again. Maybe it’s not irreversible or only to some extent.

1 Like

There’s a long read on the DRM keys on together.jolla.com: here, especially important if you want to go back to android again (but information is from 2018)

1 Like

250€ for a memory card? :grimacing:

1 Like

Sadly, yes, somehow the faster cards seem to be significantly more expensive and you are advised to always use two of them (RAID 1 basically) for redundancy.

2 Likes

Thank you for this great initiative!

I have a few suggestions on things that might be interesting in upcoming news posts. Most of them happen to be Jolla-themed, but alas. I really like the mixed nature of the posts, and i too like historic notes.

• I think Amazfish deserves a mention. Truly brilliant work.

• Some stories from plumbing in telephony bits by Slava. Some old stories like MMS, or upcoming bits doesn’t matter to me. Both are bound to be really interesting.

• Thaodan (again :slight_smile: ) and the kumano/seine porting.

• What Blam is up to with the Sharing system. Looks pretty neat.

7 Likes

@dcaliste does :

mean that there is a support to decrypt OpenPGP messages on the mail app or I misunderstood it ?

1 Like

The GnuPG support is only to check signatures and sign emails. At the moment.

2 Likes